It's hard to put a finger on it but I've watched business colleagues switch to an iPhone and generally find the experience okay, but don't use the various apps and most miss the physical keypad and the hub. I think BlackBerry has a good business market but it has shrunk as support for the devices weakened and more IT guys promoted the Apple phone. I think that's basically it. I've watched many colleagues between 35 and 55 who use their phones for business purposes. I can't figure out why we need an iPhone in those circumstances.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 05:37 AM
    Plus BlackBerry is actively trying to force themselves back into this market using the Priv. Chen seems to have made the decision early on that enough time and money has been spent on bb10 and the future lies in ditching it.

They've had a go at securing android working in partnership with samsung etc because they know corps are using android devices for work. Obviously thinking we might as well have a slice of some pie. The Priv seems to be a last ditch attempt at keeping in the handset business, how this goes will determine future devices. The man said he would get out of handsets if he couldn't make it profitable so considering apple are doing their own thing android was the next choice.

Supply and demand 1.0.1

People with BlackBerry wanted more app compatibility, a secured device and 50/50 on the pkb. Voila the Priv, something for everyone. Chen must be thinking if that doesn't work I've nothing left to give. The main stumbling block is Android itself. Selling to security concious punters a device previously renowned for being the least secure (preached by BlackBerry themselves for years) is going to be a hard sell.

I don't know where it's heading, can they pull it off? Possibly. I've hit the point where I don't really care. There's an old saying round my way, "look after a lame dog too long and eventually you'll start limping yourself"

I don't know what options I'll be taking in future contracts. What I do know is BlackBerry have inadvertently re-introduced me back to the world of android which is something I haven't even considered for a long time.

Have BlackBerry done enough to make me want to stay with the brand or do I get a better spec droid for equivalent money. Or do I just put an end to the whole pantomime and get an iphone. So far from what I'm reading in the Priv section I have to say no they haven't and the bitter taste I have from the Playbook situation then this is taking its toll.

Only time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 06:02 AM
    Chen seems to have made the decision early on that enough time and money has been spent on bb10 and the future lies in ditching it.
    I would go farther and say he had nothing to do with that decision.

I believe the board deemed BB10 dead in the summer of 2013 when they tried to put the company up for sale. Chen was brought in to change the direction of BlackBerry to focus on software (EMM, auto, iot), and BB10 was simply kept around to keep the company relevant while it transitioned.
    03-08-16 07:03 AM
    Yes, highly likely. When Chen came on board BB probably already thought it was over by then. Chen was involved in the marketing of BB10 at the time but how much he was committed to it is another matter. I would say when he first came and was having a weigh up of which direction to head the handset and BB10 side of things was a glaringly obvious part of the business that wasn't working. Problem being, as you say it needed to keep the business relevant and without the phones who are they. They could carry on doing the other sides of the business without us mere mortals caring and changed their name to ACME. That wouldn't have looked good though to a lot of the companies they work for just ditching the handset part and leaving everyone out in the cold.

Sort of reminds me of the Trump story how he was Billions in debt but they couldn't let him go under because he would have took everybody with him. Blackberry keep the handset part going although deep down the board and shareholders just wish it would go away. Even at best if BB do enough to get the handset profitable again at best they’ve put themselves in a field where the main players struggle to make good money. A CEO's worst nightmare.
    03-08-16 08:34 AM
    1. BB10 had failed.
    2. BlackBerry put itself up for sale and couldn't get sold(ouch).

Those things happened before Chen took control.
    I think he's done well, considering.
    03-08-16 09:02 AM
    I would go farther and say he had nothing to do with that decision.

I believe the board deemed BB10 dead in the summer of 2013 when they tried to put the company up for sale. Chen was brought in to change the direction of BlackBerry to focus on software (EMM, auto, iot), and BB10 was simply kept around to keep the company relevant while it transitioned.
    You mean they've burned billions with open eyes to polish BB10 over three full years?
    I believe, if I would be CEO I would have spend the money for other things, but then again, they maybe had entered already long-term agreements...
    03-08-16 09:07 AM
    You mean they've burned billions with open eyes to polish BB10 over three full years?
    I believe, if I would be CEO I would have spend the money for other things, but then again, they maybe had entered already long-term agreements...
    10.3.X was committed to, and already available in beta by spring of 2014. Development has not exactly been significant since.

Only a single new SoC was developed for BB10 since 2013.
    03-08-16 09:16 AM
    Regrettably, in technology sometimes the best products don't succeed and die a death. There are those that hang on and keep them alive to a certain extent but they are niche. Take VHS over the rivals, Blu-Ray vs HD etc.

The state of the OS market is that the consumer and business users have begun to care more about app ecoystems and brand recognition then in the quality of the device or user experience. BB10 was a failed gambit. We can (and most likely will) go back and forth on why that happened but I think it has happened. I am gutted, I bought my Z10 on day one and upgraded to a Z30 and loved them both.

This OS is not going to get more traction outside of niche markets. BB doesn't have the capital to throw at people to get more bespoke development for apps or advertising for what will probably be limited appeal. It is three years old and has produced great reviews and great devices and still hasn't caught on. BB is making a business decision, probably already made it some time ago, and they are more than likely going to let BB10 die that death. It isn't fair but history is littered with other unfair things.
    03-09-16 05:47 AM
    So very true. Something I read a while back made the most sense. Like we have the runtime now a system built into all devices that's universal and outside of the os so that each manufacturer can have their own os but everybody has access to all apps and games. That way people will buy a device based on quality and os without worrying about app compatibility.

That won't happen obviously unless device manufacturers pool together and make it happen. BlackBerry don't have the money but I bet ms, BlackBerry and samsung not to mention others would prefer that and be able to cut their ties to Google who imo are getting far too powerful these days. They remind me of one of them corps in Sci fi movies based in the future where everything and everyone is controlled by them

John Chen touched on this with app neutrality saying app Devs should have to make each app work with every os but he sort of shot himself in the foot by not making blend for Linux. Guilty of what he was complaining about. I bet if you asked him why he didn't make blend for Linux he would say the costs far out weighed the user base...doh

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 09:14 AM
    That's fair enough, but if you're from BlackBerry then you've got to give some momentum to the platform. Tell everybody that things are going on, develop the APIS, give news. Because it's one thing to say that bb10 has future, but once there's no Whatsapp left, it's going to take a hell of a lot to get people to buy it.

Posted via CB10
    What do you think will happen if Whatsapp will go down on all the platforms. I mean if it will remain behind on all the platforms? Would people still buy smartphones?
    I don't wanna think about what would happen if there will be no more Facebook! What purpose would a smartphone have???? What could I do with it???? Oh, my God!!!!! I am so scared about my future!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 09:45 AM
    What do you think will happen if Whatsapp will go down on all the platforms. I mean if it will remain behind on all the platforms? Would people still buy smartphones?
    I don't wanna think about what would happen if there will be no more Facebook! What purpose would a smartphone have???? What could I do with it???? Oh, my God!!!!! I am so scared about my future!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    If Facebook disappeared from all/or either of the dominant platforms then another social networking app would fill the vacuum.
    ZOMG nothing to see here.
    03-09-16 09:52 AM
    If Facebook disappeared from all/or either of the dominant platforms then another social networking app would fill the vacuum.
    ZOMG nothing to see here.
    10x m8. My heart rate it's back on normal.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 10:00 AM
    10x m8. My heart rate it's back on normal.
    The flip-side of the argument is That WA's announcement is not good for BB10.
    Just one more sign that BB10 is not fit for purpose where purpose=consumer smartphone.
    03-09-16 10:08 AM
    The flip-side of the argument is That WA's announcement is not good for BB10.
    Just one more sign that BB10 is not fit for purpose where purpose=consumer smartphone.
    I know that. I was just joking in a rude way because he used WhatsApp as an example. If I hurt your feelings with that comment, I apologise.
    And he had a valid point in what he said.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 10:24 AM
    I know that. I was just joking in a rude way because he used WhatsApp as an example. If I hurt your feelings with that comment, I apologise.
    And he had a valid point in what he said.

Posted via CB10
    No feeling hurt, no apologies necessary.
    03-09-16 10:28 AM
    "I've bought into the promise over and over again only to find I actually support bb10 more than BlackBerry do and it is undoubtedly THE best os I have ever used for getting things done and security but we all need to have a massive bite of the reality sandwich and there's a portion for everyone."

It is a bit upsetting that a lot of us BlackBerry fans/users seem to be supporting BB10 more than BlackBerry itself does. Just doesn't seem right.

But I actually bought my PPSE when it came out expecting it to be the last flagship BB10 phone and expecting BB10 to die a slow death and I would do it again in a second. Mostly because I value the user interface over the lack of apps and could care less about Facebook. But of course, I'm in the minority.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    03-09-16 10:46 AM
    If Apps stopped mattering and that day came and BB10 was still kicking around, would it then have a chance at revival?

What if apps were replaced by a universal internet solution?

I can only see BB10 flourishing under these improbable circumstances. But it's not completely impossible.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-09-16 10:49 AM
    "I've bought into the promise over and over again only to find I actually support bb10 more than BlackBerry do and it is undoubtedly THE best os I have ever used for getting things done and security but we all need to have a massive bite of the reality sandwich and there's a portion for everyone."

It is a bit upsetting that a lot of us BlackBerry fans/users seem to be supporting BB10 more than BlackBerry itself does. Just doesn't seem right.

But I actually bought my PPSE when it came out expecting it to be the last flagship BB10 phone and expecting BB10 to die a slow death and I would do it again in a second. Mostly because I value the user interface over the lack of apps and could care less about Facebook. But of course, I'm in the minority.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry did support a lot BlackBerry 10, they invested huge amount of money in it without having a profit. Maybe they did that in wrong way.
    Enjoy your PPSE.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 10:56 AM
    So basically the OS10 future looks bleak...the way this reads, Blackberry is very excited about developing another Android based-phone. Make it a Passport and maybe, just maybe I'll consider it...
    03-09-16 11:42 AM
    I do not believe there is a future for bb10. People need to stop beating this dead horse. In Blackberrys own words as I recalled reading in this thread, they are only catering to government agencies with there bb10 devices. Chen saw the death of their market share a very long time ago and new the only way to save them was to switch to the only viable OS like every other company. Its like the old saying "when in Rome do as the Romans" Numbers do lie, androids market share is massive. Blackberry need to stop with the epic failures and focus on android.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 12:32 PM
    I do not believe there is a future for bb10. People need to stop beating this dead horse. In Blackberrys own words as I recalled reading in this thread, they are only catering to government agencies with there bb10 devices. Chen saw the death of their market share a very long time ago and new the only way to save them was to switch to the only viable OS like every other company. Its like the old saying "when in Rome do as the Romans" Numbers do lie, androids market share is massive. Blackberry need to stop with the epic failures and focus on android.

Posted via CB10
    Please copy paste the phrase with Blackberrys own words that they are only catering to government agencies with BlackBerry 10 devices.
    Maybe people won't stop beating this dead horse because they don't want only the dead horse that exists for many years before BlackBerry 10 and still has many functionality problems.
    Or maybe it is not your problem if some people wanna have BlackBerry 10 as an option. You may be right, BlackBerry 10 may have just a few days/months left, but "when in Rome do as the Romans" doesn't apply in this case. If you would find only food that others like and you don't, does it mean nobody should offer the food you like? You can change the word "food" with any other product in the phrase I wrote.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 01:30 PM
    What's the difference between "workhorse" and "older products"?
    03-09-16 01:48 PM
    Please copy paste the phrase with Blackberrys own words that they are only catering to government agencies with BlackBerry 10 devices.
    Maybe people won't stop beating this dead horse because they don't want only the dead horse that exists for many years before BlackBerry 10 and still has many functionality problems.
    Or maybe it is not your problem if some people wanna have BlackBerry 10 as an option. You may be right, BlackBerry 10 may have just a few days/months left, but "when in Rome do as the Romans" doesn't apply in this case. If you would find only food that others like and you don't, does it mean nobody should offer the food you like? You can change the word "food" with any other product in the phrase I wrote.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm. Ok Whatsapp for example . Are they going to cater to those 0.01%. Of the mobile market that cling to there bb10 devices, No.........no they are not. I wanted to continue using led paint but paint store will stock it for me just because I like it.

Not trying to start a fight I am merely saying it is sad to see people standing bedside of a terminal patient(BB10).

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 02:04 PM
    What's the difference between "workhorse" and "older products"?
    Nothing...While I was waiting for my replacement Passport I decided to use my old BB Tour and got just as much work accomplished as I would have on my Passport. Did I miss some apps that I was accustomed to using on my Passport? Yes
    03-09-16 02:40 PM
    Mr Devito said it best.

You know, at one time there must've been dozens of companies makin' buggy whips. And I'll bet the last company around was the one that made the best goddamn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company? You invested in a business and this business is dead. Let's have the intelligence, let's have the decency to sign the death certificate, collect the insurance, and invest in something with a future.

"Ah, but we can't," goes the prayer. "We can't because we have responsibility, a responsibility to our employees, to our community. What will happen to them?" I got two words for that: Who cares? Care about them? Why? They didn't care about you. They sucked you dry. You have no responsibility to them. For the last ten years this company bled your money.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-09-16 02:40 PM
123 12345