So as I mentioned on another thread, I am about to buy a new Blackberry Passport this coming weekend. However, while I was browsing around in these forums and several Blackberry Passport articles online, I noticed that there were a lot of people saying that the Passport had a screen lifting / twisting issue.

My question is, how prevalent is this problem? It it really a common problem?
    Also, should I get a red Blackberry Passport since it is a newer version and might not have such structural problems anymore?

Kindly advice. Thank you!
    09-08-15 02:57 AM
    You SHOULD be worried. Worried about loving your Passport so much, you'll neglect you loved ones for weeks.

Seriously: there has been a fair number of people reporting screen lift or at least screen not being absolutely flush in all places. Perhaps the Silver Edition has less of this, I'm not yet sure. It does have some structural reinforcements that might combat that issue.

I've had the Original and currently use the Silver Edition. Screen lift was NOT present at either. I DID have some double typing on my original Passport, but I've seen change logs for the leaked new 10.3.2.something that states they have a SOFTWARE fix for that. I can't evaluate if that would have fixed my original Passport, I had it repaired, sold it on and got me the Silver Edition. And that one, I love to hell and back!

To sum up; buy one, but as always: buy from a good and trusted vendor. You want support when something goes awry on a significant investment like this (at least, it's a significant investment for most normal folk, as it is for me).
    zlatno likes this.
    09-08-15 04:21 AM
    You SHOULD be worried. Worried about loving your Passport so much, you'll neglect you loved ones for weeks.

Seriously: there has been a fair number of people reporting screen lift or at least screen not being absolutely flush in all places. Perhaps the Silver Edition has less of this, I'm not yet sure. It does have some structural reinforcements that might combat that issue.

I've had the Original and currently use the Silver Edition. Screen lift was NOT present at either. I DID have some double typing on my original Passport, but I've seen change logs for the leaked new 10.3.2.something that states they have a SOFTWARE fix for that. I can't evaluate if that would have fixed my original Passport, I had it repaired, sold it on and got me the Silver Edition. And that one, I love to hell and back!

To sum up; buy one, but as always: buy from a good and trusted vendor. You want support when something goes awry on a significant investment like this (at least, it's a significant investment for most normal folk, as it is for me).
    That's a good vote of confidence.

In any case, does this mean that the red version that came out isn't part of the latter batches of production which might have resolved this issue?

Thanks!
    09-08-15 04:28 AM
    The thing is that only the people who are having those problem would come to the forums and post about it. So there is a possibility that even a larger number have no issues, but have no reasont to post about it. I for one, thankfully do not have the screen lifting nor the double typing issue. I absolutely love the passport. I have the white one though, which is newer than the OG black which is probably why I got lucky by not having those issues. I love the way the red one looks, unfortunately it's not availbale in my country when I was making the purchase.
    09-08-15 04:32 AM
    Never had a problem on my OG passport,was great device and loving it.

Blackberry Passport on telkomsel network
    09-08-15 04:59 AM
    The thing is that only the people who are having those problem would come to the forums and post about it. So there is a possibility that even a larger number have no issues, but have no reasont to post about it. I for one, thankfully do not have the screen lifting nor the double typing issue. I absolutely love the passport. I have the white one though, which is newer than the OG black which is probably why I got lucky by not having those issues. I love the way the red one looks, unfortunately it's not availbale in my country when I was making the purchase.
    I guess I'll go with a red then. I kinda want to move away from a white phone this time because my current phone is an iPhone 5s white/silver. Here's to hoping there's no hardware issues.
    09-08-15 05:26 AM
    my screen lifted a wee bit and probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read about it here,returned it and had no problems ever since,Black one ,lol
    09-08-15 05:31 AM
    I've had the AT&T version, the Red version, and now the Silver Edition. I had zero issues with any of the 3. Enjoy your new Passport!!!
    09-08-15 05:41 AM
    I sat on mine quite hard. As in, I jumped into my truck and it was in my back pocket. I noticed that the frame had bent slightly and the screen had started to lift just a tiny bit. I literally bent it back with my hands (it's more of a 'twist' that can happen) and it's been fine ever since.

Honestly, as many people who have complained about the screen lifting here have all probably put their device through some kind of abuse. It's a solid phone. But it's big so it doesn't take as much to break. Try to snap a chopstick in half with your bare hands. It will likely be pretty easy. Now break one of those pieces in half. If you can do it, good for you. Try to break a tiny piece of the same chopstick with your bare hands a third time. You won't be able to. It's made of the same material but it's easier to bend / break when it's bigger.

It's the same with the Passport as it was with the iPhone 6 Plus "bending." The bigger it is, the easier it is to bend the same material. That's why the screen was lifting for some - the frame got bent and the screen wouldn't stay adhered to something that was no longer flat. If you take care of it, nothing is going to break. Honestly, it's a great (and solid) device and you won't regret buying one. The red one and the black one are essentially the same device. The material on the back is a bit different and more 'grippy' on the original black one though.

If I had it to buy again, I would. No regrets. Although, if I was in your shoes and willing to shell out extra for a different version, I'd go Silver. The red one is flashy but the silver one is classy. You really can't go wrong either way though!
    zlatno likes this.
    09-08-15 05:44 AM
    Yeah you should be worried maybe you got a factory defect device like us

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 07:24 AM
    All BlackBerry devices have a year of warranty. You should not be worried in my opinion. It's not a case of abuse, as I had a phone which had it from day 1.
    It is also not true that the phone will twist and turn. If you are concerned, the silver edition claims to be stronger and better.
    09-08-15 08:24 AM
    To put in my opinion, I bought a slightly used passport in December. It has been great for me. I had been reading about the twisting and screen lift but hadn't notice it on mine. Then I took mine out of the case and realized it had twisted a little.
    It doesn't cause any issue and as I said, I didn't even notice it at first and I have no idea when it happened.
    I would certainly recommend it. I would suggest the silver just because it seems to have addressed the concerns, though if the original is enough of a savings, you might do that.

Posted via CB10
    zlatno likes this.
    09-08-15 08:50 AM
    I love my Passport. And I love all the attention it gets. An opportunity to say BlackBerry is still alive and kicking.

As you probably know, the wide form precludes one handed texting. Besides the Hub, the BB10 feature I love the most is flicking up words while typing. Because it has the touch sensitive keyboard this is possible with the Passport but the width makes it more difficult. It can be accomplished with practice.

My only dilemma is I lust after the Silver Edition. I would be in trouble if I bought one while my current phone is fully functional. Hey! I know! I can say the screen was lifting! No. That would be a lie.

Enjoy your new phone.
    09-08-15 10:33 AM
    I've had the silver passport for 3 weeks and it is a beauty. I can't believe how much I missed the keyboard. Brilliant design, incredibly productive and a real eye catcher. Oh, and then there is that big badass battery. I will never, ever go back to some dinky little phone again. The price is fantastic.
    09-08-15 10:55 AM
    I have the ATT PP and it was slightly used and has been great no issues.

Only issue with the ATT version is there are very few cases.

Go with the SE
    09-08-15 12:53 PM
    Yes you should be worried. I actually said "I am done with BlackBerry", right after my so far horrible experience with their BlackBerry Classic. I am still waiting to receive a working unit. However I somehow got annoyed by my Note Edge: Poor cellular reception, poor battery life, the performance also isn't right to what I expected it to be. Last but not least that virtual keyboard, I can't stand it.

So to hell with it, I ordered a BlackBerry Passport SE, where a 10% discount coupon came quite handy. Waiting for shipping confirmation now, I gave my hopes up on the Classic and will sell it right away once my third replacement arrives.

I can only suggest you should carefully check the device once you received it. Not only the physical appearance, but also the functionality. My last Classic for example was pretty much fine... but phone calls were impossible. Either the speaker or the mic wasn't working, you had to use a headset to do any calls.

After all I think BlackBerry has serious quality issues for their newer devices and if they really want to stay inside the hardware business, these quality issues should be a #1 priority to fix.
    On the other hand, I already heard from iPhone users who had to replace their iPhone 5(s) multiple times due to various problems.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 12:56 PM
    You will love the Passport. Never have any issues. Any phone will bend I force is applied. Red is beautiful. Get it, get use the keyboard and how it works. It is a well built device as was my previous BlackBerry Z10. You will be very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 01:21 PM
    I'm with everyone else in this thread, you are going to absolutely love the passport. I've used all sorts of phones but nothing is amazing as the passport.

It's by far one of the best phones ever built, mind you I wasn't a blackberry fan before I tried the passport. Unless they release an updated passport internally, I won't be switching phones for a long time.

Posted via Passport SE
    09-08-15 01:27 PM
    You will love it! I love how responsive it is. I come from a long line of Samsung phones. Usually by day 3 I had a problem of some sort with them. No complaints with pp. It's my first BlackBerry.
    Oh I also just used our new Samsung tablet because I needed to charge my phone. It lasted about 5 minutes because it was so sluggish. So I say don't stress it and Enjoy it!
    09-08-15 09:32 PM
    Buy it enjoy it "IF" it has problems get it replaced. Nobody can guarantee you that you will have a problem free unit. Out of however many thousands or hundreds of thousands of passports sold only a handful of people are online crying. Saying how BlackBerry has no quality control anymore. And they don't care but every device can't be perfect. Even the almighty apple has defects it's just life. Had a black pp it was fine nothing wrong now have the SE PP it's fine. Had a classic that was fine, a z30 that was fine, a q10 that was fine. As others have said people with working device's are not jumping on Crackberry to tell everyone how there device is problem free. Well normal people anyways guess that's what I'm here doing enjoy the new pp it's a great phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 02:59 AM
    The only thing what's holding me back from buying one is the future of BB10. Am I doing a favor for BlackBerry to finish their BB10 stock so that they can carry on moving to another platform? (I know it is still rumor, but I can't invest on something that is about to end if it is true.) WIll John Chen clarify the future of QNX and BB10 in October or will it all go on by November?

honestly I don't have a doubt for the hardware since I can just send it back and ask for a better quality if I get to be unlucky at first. But while I am waiting, I'm starting to look for another option if things went sour for BB10.
    09-09-15 03:21 AM