Hi guys well as described I have noticed my in house my 9780 gets 2-4 bars of signal in my house but my passport isn't picking anything up?. It did for about a week sand 2 days ago it's just been on emergency calls. Checked the network and all is well and sim works fine in 9780.

So any suggestions how I can get my signal back?, my blackberry works everywhere else just stopped at my house for some reasons.

Below are pics showing signal on both devices.

9780:

9780 getting signal but Passport isnt-img_20150820_182342.jpg

And two from my passport, 1 showing when it gets signal, and one when I put manual scan on.

9780 getting signal but Passport isnt-img_20150818_113905.png

9780 getting signal but Passport isnt-img_20150819_101341.png

Passport and is just under a year old, Oct 14 is on 10.3.1 in the UK unlocked. Using on Tesco Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 12:28 PM
    In your screenshot from the Passport where you see Network Mode, can you set that option to 2G, instead of 3G & 2G? Because while your 9780 does have a signal, it's only GPRS--which is, at best, 2G. And I'm not sure if the Passport is latching on to a barely there 3G network, but if you force it to look for and attach only to 2G, then it will. Plus you'll get better battery life too.
    08-20-15 12:54 PM
    In your screenshot from the Passport where you see Network Mode, can you set that option to 2G, instead of 3G & 2G? Because while your 9780 does have a signal, it's only GPRS--which is, at best, 2G. And I'm not sure if the Passport is latching on to a barely there 3G network, but if you force it to look for and attach only to 2G, then it will. Plus you'll get better battery life too.
    When I take the sim out and put it back in and go select the Network Mode I can select from 2-4G etc however it does not stick and just leaves 2G&3G or 2G&3G&4G as shown below:

9780 getting signal but Passport isnt-img_20150820_185842.png

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 01:01 PM
    When I take the sim out and put it back in and go select the Network Mode I can select from 2-4G etc however it does not stick and just leaves 2G&3G or 2G&3G&4G
    Hmm ok. This is classic carrier provisioning that you're describing.

Try this: tap that APN cogwheel. Then enter the following values:

Code:
    APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com
    Username: tescowap
    Password: password
    And hit save, which should bring you back to this Mobile Network page. Check again if you see more options under Mobile Network. If not, reboot your phone (keep the SIM card in it) and see if more options appear.

If you don't subscribe to a plan with data, I would turn Data Services off.
    08-20-15 02:59 PM
    Hmm ok. This is classic carrier provisioning that you're describing.

Try this: tap that APN cogwheel. Then enter the following values:

Code:
    APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com
    Username: tescowap
    Password: password
    And hit save, which should bring you back to this Mobile Network page. Check again if you see more options under Mobile Network. If not, reboot your phone (keep the SIM card in it) and see if more options appear.

If you don't subscribe to a plan with data, I would turn Data Services off.
    Hi I did this before but did it again just to check I didn't miss anything and it's still only showing 2g&3g or 2,3,4G , nothing lower.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 04:17 PM
    Hi I did this before but did it again just to check I didn't miss anything and it's still only showing 2g&3g or 2,3,4G , nothing lower.
    OK. Like I said, these are controlled by the carrier/SIM card that's in the phone--something you've verified yourself. Usually people are trying to do the opposite of what you're trying--they want the faster (4G) networks, not 2G!

I don't remember what the exact pathway to Network Mode on a 9780 is, but if you find out maybe you could try that particular APN in your Passport? Oftentimes carriers have separate APNs for faster/newer networks and older/slower networks.
    SeBEx123 likes this.
    08-20-15 05:33 PM
    OK. Like I said, these are controlled by the carrier/SIM card that's in the phone--something you've verified yourself. Usually people are trying to do the opposite of what you're trying--they want the faster (4G) networks, not 2G!

I don't remember what the exact pathway to Network Mode on a 9780 is, but if you find out maybe you could try that particular APN in your Passport? Oftentimes carriers have separate APNs for faster/newer networks and older/slower networks.
    Ok thank you, I will see if I can find it and see if it work and get back to you.
    08-21-15 04:31 AM
    I have a similar issue, my phone is stuck in 3G I can't change to 4G and the APN settings (advance) is greyed out.

--help--
    SeBEx123 likes this.
    08-21-15 12:44 PM
    I went on the apn settings and pressed restore to default and it went fine for about 4 hours and then it lost a bit of signal so I dunno really that might help you, but it might not

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 01:28 PM
    The thing is that I can't access that Advanced settings is vanished as soon as I enter the APN option.
    08-21-15 05:06 PM
    I went on the apn settings and pressed restore to default and it went fine for about 4 hours and then it lost a bit of signal
    What do you mean by "lost a bit of signal?" Bars? They're not as objective a measure as one might think, plus from your 9780's screenshot I noticed you're on GPRS--which must mean you're a bit on the outskirts.
    08-21-15 07:34 PM
    The thing is that I can't access that Advanced settings is vanished as soon as I enter the APN option.
    Sounds like the carrier blocking access to it. It could be something they just do (like AT&T here in the US,) or your phone's not provisioned properly, which can happen with unsupported phones.

Did you carrier ever sell BB10 phones before especially ones that would get 4G? If so and you own one, contact customer service and tell them you want to activate a phone. Then give them that old phone's IMEI#, and reboot your Passport. See what happens.

Alternatively, if you have some other phone (like an Android) that you don't use and it used to get 4G, you can give them that IMEI#.
    08-21-15 07:39 PM
    What do you mean by "lost a bit of signal?" Bars? They're not as objective a measure as one might think, plus from your 9780's screenshot I noticed you're on GPRS--which must mean you're a bit on the outskirts.
    It went from 5-4 to 2-1 then nothing at all again and yes I am in the middle of no where in the UK

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 05:14 AM
    In your screenshot, your old BlackBerry is showing lower case gprs. This means you have no data, and your phone is failing to make a data connection. I'd say that you have weak signal where you are.

If you had data, it would be "GPRS" not "gprs".

Also note no BlackBerry network connectivity. You definitely have no data.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    08-22-15 09:43 AM
    In your screenshot, your old BlackBerry is showing lower case gprs. This means you have no data, and your phone is failing to make a data connection.
    Good catch, but it could also be that the OP does not have a BIS plan. Regardless, no data when it's showing gprs.
    08-22-15 01:10 PM
    It went from 5-4 to 2-1 then nothing at all again and yes I am in the middle of no where in the UK
    Got it. Your screenshot from the 9780 shows 3 bars of gprs. Is it always on 3 bars? If not, 2-4 bars is within the ballpark. Plus, don't forget, they're subjective as it is.
    08-22-15 01:13 PM
    Got it. Your screenshot from the 9780 shows 3 bars of gprs. Is it always on 3 bars? If not, 2-4 bars is within the ballpark. Plus, don't forget, they're subjective as it is.
    No matter what the 9870 is always on 3 bars or higher sometimes. The passport either gets signal or nothings at all, very hit and miss

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 08:13 AM
    Just an update, after looking at the APN setting on my 9870 being completely blank I tried it on my passport by removing the apn user name and password and my signal has now gone back to the way it was a week ago, dropping out only now and then and going back having 4 bars. I don't know why or how this worked but it has worked!

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    08-23-15 04:33 PM