10-30-14 03:35 PM
83 1234
  1. WWBlondieDo's Avatar
    I agree with those who say that it needs more time in the rice, especially considering that non-removable back/battery. Please do not try to turn it on again unless it's been in there for another 24 hours and definitely do not plug it in again before then! My dad fried his z10 because he plugged it in too soon after being submerged.

    Of course, let us know how it's doing in a couple days! I've used the rice trick before so I know it can work. Good luck, OP!

    Posted via CB10 on my VZW STL100-4 running hybrid
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    10-26-14 01:39 PM
  2. Hai Bo's Avatar
    Silica desiccant would be the best choice. Otherwise put it in a fridge which has active air circulation inside, or near a dehumidifier if that's available. A stream of cold air is very good at sucking the moisture out, that's why the fridge suggestion. Not the freezer thought, because ice crystal forming in the freezer can break things.
    Rice would not be my choice because it takes too long. It need air circulation to pull the moisture out of the phone while the bulk of rice has little or no air circulation at all. At the same time, the rice dust may get into the phone and when there may still be water droplets inside, rice dust mixed in water may form a bridge between components and hence cause further damage.
    So put it in the fridge and forget it for a few day. With luck, there will be no damage caused when you powered it on too early.
    10-26-14 01:42 PM
  3. m3mb3rsh1p's Avatar
    Sorry about your phone.

    I keep a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol handy for cleaning and "drying." My theory which seems to be supported by anecdotal evidence on the internet is that the volatile alcohol washes away the ionic/dirty water which could short the wires and evaporates faster and more thoroughly.

    Since you practically soaked the phone, I'd suggest taking the motherboard out and rinsing/running it in isopropyl alcohol (you already soaked it in (dirty)water anyway). Wipe the remaining parts like LCD contacts etc (don't soak). No promises but it seems better than letting the water evaporate leaving behind the dissolved acidic/caustic compounds.

    The idea is to thoroughly "clean/rinse" then dry the board. Use a toothbrush with the alcohol to scrub metal pins and such. I guess you could avoid those tiny supercapacitors but I'm not sure they keep their charge longer than a few minutes. The isopropyl alcohol contains just volatile alcohol and distilled water so this is a good rinsing agent. You can get it from the pharmacy.
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 10-26-14 at 01:55 PM.
    10-26-14 01:45 PM
  4. Supa_Fly1's Avatar
    10 hours isnt long enough in rice. Stick it in there for another 24 or so hours and see what happens
    Agreed ... at minimum 24hrs ... best 72hrs. And make sure it is FULLY submerged burried into ziplock bag of rice. Prayer may help, honest.
    10-26-14 02:16 PM
  5. thatplaybookguy's Avatar
    I know this isnt a phone but this very laptop I am typing on has had a coffee then a full large McD's rootbeer spilled on it in the same day. Works fine after a week in rice. That was two years ago. It was two days old.
    10-26-14 03:12 PM
  6. D3C0D3R's Avatar
    I had a similar situation happen with my BlackBerry Bold 9900 (my last OS7 phone)! Had put it in a cooler and hadn't thought about the ice I put in it (i know, stupid idea). 6 hours later took it out when I realized that and it was vibrating like crazy, still all on. Took the battery out immediately and put the phone against the ac of the car until I got home, then immediately put it in rice.

    48 hours later I took it out, brushed it off and got rice out of the USB port. Put the battery in, and it booted to my astonishment! I then fooled around with the settings and functionality, there was only one thing wrong with it.. the vibration motor had fried. Lmao, it literally sat in ice-cold water for 6 hours and still worked properly and fully!

    Later on a couple months later some 9th grader jumped on my backpack when I was at vball tryouts in grade 12, I took it out and the screen was smashed.. -.-

    Still, the phone carried on and worked! The touchscreen worked in all areas except the actual big cracks where chunks were missing, and the vibration motor fried, but otherwise the phone worked perfectly and carried on! Then I got the Z10 :P

    Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/
    10-26-14 04:40 PM
  7. xtremeled's Avatar
    Patience young grasshopper
    Gatmyer likes this.
    10-26-14 04:48 PM
  8. lawguyman's Avatar
    I had a similar issue with a BB years ago. I dropped it in the rain after I parked my car. I didn't realize it until minutes later when I got inside. When I retrieved it, water had gotten inside. It was on the interior of the screen. Plus, the keyboard did the same thing you describe. Some keys repeated characters. I disassembled it and dried it all out. It worked fine until I retired it.
    10-26-14 04:57 PM
  9. enzo4vpc's Avatar
    I had dropped my Z30 in the tub. To dry it, I removed the back cover placed the phone on a vent of the central heating of my house. I had the fan of the system run continuously for 2 days. Hey the phone works fine now
    10-26-14 06:09 PM
  10. dble07's Avatar
    I once dropped my z10 into the bottom of a swimming pool and after 2days in rice 48hrs it seemed to work fine. Same thing happened to my 9780 as well and the rice did the trick.

    Posted via CB10
    You should stay away from swimming pools!

    Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-26-14 06:20 PM
  11. netwerx1's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss...

    Agree with the guy regarding 90% alcohol, that and also electrical contact cleaner will displace water, then another couple days in the rice. Probably not a bad idea to disassemble the phone too.
    10-26-14 06:30 PM
  12. Mrluky's Avatar
    put it in front of a fan for a couple of days, it worked for my q10.my Q10 was in puddle for five minutes.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-26-14 06:40 PM
  13. BCLoco's Avatar
    I feel for you. That's such a kick in the gut.

    I really think you should take the phone apart, clean & dry it, then reassemble and try again. If you're not comfortable doing it, any cell repair shop will charge a minimal amount to do it for you.

    The cell repair shop near me (west end Ottawa) only charged $30 to swap the brains from my smashed Z10, into a donor Z10 that had become brain-dead through OS leaks. Worked beautifully.

    The problem with just drying the phone is that the internals, wet or dry, are now contaminated. This has almost definitely caused corrosion to start already. You just got the phone, give it the best shot you can at a full recovery.

    Sounds like the keyboard is suffering the most. If you have to replace it, I'm really curious to hear what a replacement is worth.

    Posted via PassportSQW100-1/ on CB10!
    10-26-14 06:57 PM
  14. joewoo's Avatar
    Man...... sorry to hear....

    I would have left it in rice for a few days though... I wouldn't think it's totally over yet though.... maybe if it goes for a month like that then yeah.. I would then call it loss...
    10-26-14 07:03 PM
  15. vtecberry's Avatar
    I've done that before. Took phone as much apart as I could placed in front of a fan on high over night worked perfectly ever since

    Vtecberry Z10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-26-14 08:17 PM
  16. On BB10 Crack's Avatar

    I jumped in the pool about two months ago with my Z10 in my swimming trucks which I checked, but obviously not thoroughly enough. I was 10 feet from the edge of the pool before I checked my pocket again.... this time in utter fear. Swam back, jumped out, yanked the battery and then sat down mad at myself I fried my phone... I mean how could it possibly have survived that long.

    Well 36 hours in rice, a few minutes at a time under a hair dryer during my holiday in Punta Cana and I dare to fire it up.
    The screen looks funny so I yank the battery and wait another 24 hours.

    Now two days later, after more rice time, more hair dryer on low heat, I fire it up again.... and it looks promising... an then the the screen goes all wonky, I'm devastated. It' looks like that's the end of the line.

    It's a day before the end of my holiday and the flights tomorrow so I just leave my Z10 all alone in my hotel room to bring home as a souvenir. There\s no point to turn it on during the flight and I get home at 2am so just drove straight home and slept.

    It's now about 4 days.... I put in a spare dry battery I had at home (ever more reason to keep removable batteries) turn it on..... and the fairy tale ending..... she's alive

    I was ecstatic, my Z10 is fully functional.

    LESSON: Be patient - you'll need several days to allow all the water to evaporate out of an enclosed phone. Don't get impatient and try to early, I almost fried mine.

    Note: I destroyed my black Z10 three months earlier... FYI: Phones don't survive when you drop a 90 pound dumbbell on them.

    Good luck Fabobly and all future swimmers.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-27-14 01:01 AM
  17. Adif_70's Avatar
    Don't drop your phone in water. If it does happen then hope to have a replacement plan. I have one on my passport and my wife does on her z10. Regardless of damage. It covers water damage etc.

    Posted via the incredible Blackberry Passport
    10-27-14 01:07 AM
  18. jhanks64's Avatar
    10-27-14 02:35 AM
  19. MC_A_DOT's Avatar
    Don't drop your phone in water. If it does happen then hope to have a replacement plan. I have one on my passport and my wife does on her z10.

    Posted via the incredible Blackberry Passport
    Once again your comments aren't helping anyone, especially the OP.

    To the OP, you should have kept it in rice for about 2 days or used desiccant.
    I'm sure you will find the solution within this thread or you may have to try your luck with your provider.
    WWBlondieDo and solitude1984 like this.
    10-27-14 03:59 AM
  20. 7onZ's Avatar
    I had the same experience with my old laptop. I sprayed directly the screen cleaner on the monitor and had a few drops on the key board. It was on the H & G. It took me a month to go with the problem of the keys being A.) constantly pressed and B.) being unable to respond until I decided to had it cleaned with air blower and an afternoon sun bath (key board face down). The point is you need time to let it the water there be completely gone until you can have the full functioning keys again.
    10-27-14 04:54 AM
  21. SK122387's Avatar
    I spilled beer on my 9000. After days of leaving it and its batter in separate clear glass containers of rice, it still never worked right. Everything except the backlight of the LCD screen worked. So I could still use the phone if I shined a flashlight on the screen to see what I was doing. Needless to say, that was the end of that.

    Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 05:09 AM
  22. Gokula Krishnan1's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear that. Hope ur phone works well, after a gud sleep in the bag of rice for one or two days. Do let us know if u could get back it to normal by any other way...cheers...
    10-27-14 05:51 AM
  23. m3mb3rsh1p's Avatar
    I just remembered air canisters can push out moisture and if you hold the tube close to a surface, the alcohol will still be in a liquid state and serve as a rinsing agent! Perhaps better than my initial method of rinsing in isopropyl alcohol.
    10-27-14 06:32 AM
  24. undone's Avatar
    You need to do the long-term drying because any moisture that is left will eventually cause corrosion. You can even purchase silica desiccants which are often used by gun owners for storage.
    We use this to keep moisture away from water based crystals. Bag of those boys over rice would be much better.
    10-27-14 08:32 AM
  25. Bilaal's Avatar
    Damn, I feel for you. Water damage is a hit and miss, my Z10 has been for a swim twice in the bath and toilet and has been dropped a lot of times and yet it still works 100%. My Z30 took a bit of Lucozade and the microphone busted. The rice thing works if you immediately turn the phone off and stick it in rice for atleast a day. Any power circulating when it's the least bit of moist on the circuits can permanently damage the phone.

    Good luck to you, OP. Being a student myself, I know how it feels.
    10-27-14 09:07 AM
83 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Replaced Q10 with Passport
    By therealm7 in forum BlackBerry Passport
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-06-14, 03:01 PM
  2. Passport in INDIA
    By gimmi786 in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-07-14, 05:26 AM
  3. Passport Heats up one full day
    By hubeschan in forum BlackBerry Passport
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-26-14, 09:47 PM
  4. Passport going for $1800+ USD on eBay
    By ad19 in forum BlackBerry Passport
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-26-14, 03:17 PM
  5. Wait for Passport or get Z30
    By Gisella Ravelle in forum BlackBerry Passport
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-14, 01:18 PM