Ok, you may solve the moisture issue but how does one disinfect this thing. Toilet bowl water...eeewww!
    10-27-14 10:25 AM
    I had a phone that got wet and tried the rice thing... it still wouldn't work. I threw it in a draw and got a different phone, few months later I "found" it and decided to try it before I threw it away. It worked fine.

That said, I've seen a number of wet devices that never "returned"... you can try. But I agree that adding water "resistance" or better water "proofing" would be a big feature.
    10-27-14 10:27 AM
    As someone mentioned, you should really try alcohol as a last resort as it saved many of my devices from water damage, last one being my z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:33 AM
    Question!? Do you think turning it on without it being completely dry,do you think this has fried the unit?!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    10-27-14 10:37 AM
    Rice thing worked for me, but had to do it for 24-36 hours, not 10 hours. Happened to my old Q10, been working fine ever since.
    10-27-14 11:12 AM
    Did you buy the phone using a credit card? The built in card insurance may replace the phone.

I had a friend that ran her new phone over with her car. She mailed the pieces to the CC company and they replaced the phone.
    Superfly_FR and m3mb3rsh1p like this.
    10-27-14 01:13 PM
    FYI: Phones don't survive when you drop a 90 pound dumbbell on them.
    LOL...no they do not. Sorry but that comment made me chuckle.
    10-27-14 01:34 PM
    Subscribed... c u in 5 days?!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    10-27-14 01:48 PM
    I never leave my phone near the sink or toilet. I learn from everyone else's mistakes.
    10-27-14 01:54 PM
    Even if it works, it'll never function normally again. Not much you can do about it.

Posted from an ME173X
    Just needs longer in the rice. At least a full day. Should work fine after that if TRULY dry inside. Has worked for several of my friends.
    10-27-14 01:59 PM
    I'm hurting just thinking about Lucille taking a swim. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:43 PM
    Well, let's start talking about replacement plans for the BlackBerry Passport.
    Please don't suggest I wait until AT&T gets then and then I can buy their insurance.
    Anyone know about one now which I can research or sign up to?
    10-27-14 07:26 PM
    Bell has one for $10 per month. For me it's great insurance regardless of the phone/brand.

Passport... 4+ weeks and loving it more every day.
    10-27-14 07:31 PM
    I know it beyond the point. But since more and more people are buying their devices outright. Might want to look into getting waterproof protection through Liquipel. I know they guarantee protection for a few BB10 devices. But last time I checked, you had to sign a waver for Z30 protection cause they had not done / completed tested for it.

Anyway, just offering info and options for the future.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    10-27-14 07:38 PM
    Well, let's start talking about replacement plans for the BlackBerry Passport.
    Please don't suggest I wait until AT&T gets then and then I can buy their insurance.
    Anyone know about one now which I can research or sign up to?
    I would never pay an insurance plan for an electronic device. Most still charge you a hefty deductible ($100). Better to keep a spare older device that can be used to replace the basic utility of the broken one (calls, sms, email), and save up for a few months (if you need to) to buy a (most likely reduced cost) replacement.

It's not a car or a house that most could definitely not afford to immediately replace and are often a vital necessity.

But if it gives you peace of mind,.. then go ahead.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:48 PM
    I like the peace of mind of knowing regardless the issue I will get a new one with little problems. For me that's important. Maybe for others it's just best to have a second device in case it gets damaged. I know many people that have broken the screen on their ip more than once and the cost was steep to fix. I personally have never severely damaged a phone more than a small mark or scuff however just because I love this device I want to protect her.

10-27-14 07:56 PM
    Yes, for many people it is the peace of mind in case you have an accident like the original poster did here.
    Some people really take care of their phones, and others use them like a truck, and a hammer.
    Marks and wear gives the phone identity and charm to some people.
    Besides, there is always the worry about theft.
    10-27-14 09:50 PM
    10 hours is not enough. I truly hope that this becomes a victory story.
    Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:27 PM
    I like the peace of mind of knowing regardless the issue I will get a new one with little problems. For me that's important. Maybe for others it's just best to have a second device in case it gets damaged. I know many people that have broken the screen on their ip more than once and the cost was steep to fix. I personally have never severely damaged a phone more than a small mark or scuff however just because I love this device I want to protect her.

Why are you talking about the iPhone again?..................
    10-28-14 03:57 AM
    Hey man I remember dropping my 9900 in the toilet a few weeks after I got it. I was devastated. I wish your passport a speedy recovery.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 04:00 AM
    sry if posted already but you can go faster by disassembling the passport as demonstrated here : Here's how you disassemble a BlackBerry Passport | CrackBerry.com

PLEASE NOTE !
    1/ you must be very precautious and patient. If you're not comfortable: just DON'T do it.
    2/ Once unmounted DO NOT place parts in a rice bag : small particles may do even more harm than water. But you can find anti moisture little bags that are dedicated to this (if you kept your electronic devices boxes, its very likely you'll be able to grab some inside).
    I repeat: no parts in rice !!!
    Alternatively, you can let the disassembled part lay on a tissue (cotton, not hairy !) on a moderate hot radiator for 3-5 hours before you mount it back.

But I agree with most above comments : 10 hours was wayyy too short. Your KB is a 5 layers part ... won't dry easilly.

Best of luck,
    hope it helps
    SF
    10-28-14 06:07 AM
    Did you buy the phone using a credit card? The built in card insurance may replace the phone.

I had a friend that ran her new phone over with her car. She mailed the pieces to the CC company and they replaced the phone.
    definitely whorse a try !
    10-28-14 06:11 AM
    I use Exquisicat Cat litter in my cigar humidor to regulate humidity. The non-scented type. Those crystals are designed to absorb moisture and regulate the air around them to 70% by both releasing and absorbing moisture - perfect for cigars. In this case, if you put the phone in them when dry I'd bet they would do a great job of pulling moisture out of the device. Whether they'd do it better than rice, I don't know. But it would be my first choice.

Any of the non-scented cat litter crystals should do it.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. Hadn't thought of this at all! Great tip!
    10-28-14 06:44 AM
    I spilled beer on my 9000. After days of leaving it and its batter in separate clear glass containers of rice, it still never worked right. Everything except the backlight of the LCD screen worked. So I could still use the phone if I shined a flashlight on the screen to see what I was doing. Needless to say, that was the end of that.

Posted via CB10
    Damn shame about that beer.
    stealthbob likes this.
    10-28-14 08:13 PM
    Terrible waste of beer.
    10-28-14 10:39 PM
83 1234