EDIT: Phone has been working as if brand new for the last few days after another 36 hours in rice. The Z key was working, then not working, then working, then not working and has been working for two days. I am not holding my breath however in case something happens and it dies but I am thrilled.

I am beyond devastated, after rogers shipped my phone to the wrong address and i had to wait almost two weeks for the phone I was ecstatic to have this phone in my hands. The reason I even purchased this phone was because my Z10 was stolen 3 weeks ago; I am a student and I had to stretch my self to even get this phone and now its pretty much over.

Sequence of Events

1. Placed Blackberry on the washroom counter, somehow slipped and landed into the toilet which was empty
    2. Grabbed the phone quickly and dried it off as I powered it down - was partially submerged for less than 10 seconds
    3. Quickly put the blackberry in a bag of rice
    4. Remembered that the one that that was removable was the SIM card and went back to the bag and removed it
    5. Cursed at my idiocy for 15 minutes
    6. 10 hours later went to check phone, wouldn't power on until I connected to the charger
    7. Loads up while keyboard back light flickers a bit
    8. Asks for password - random letters fill the field
    9. Restart the phone, can now use the keyboard but "zzzzzzz" continues to be spelt
    10. Restart the phone again can now use keyboard to enter password
    11. Led is flashing somewhat erratically but not uncommon when first loading OS
    12. Everything loads up regularly, keyboard stops functioning soon after
    13. Turned off phone and put in bag of rice for another few hours
    14. Decide to turn phone back on and os loads fairly normally
    15. Everything works except "Z" character and when I click "A" it spells out "aq"

What can I do?
    Is the phone done for good?
    Has any one gone through this or knows what is happening?
    If i kindly messaged blackberry would they do anything?
    Would they be able to give me a new one for even 200-300$ for exchange?
    Last edited by fabofly; 10-29-14 at 04:37 PM.
    10-26-14 10:43 AM
    10 hours isnt long enough in rice. Stick it in there for another 24 or so hours and see what happens
    10-26-14 10:47 AM
    Try another couple of days turned off in the rice. Could still be moisture.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 10:48 AM
    So sorry bout ur phone.. really feel for u. Do let us know and update us k?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 10:52 AM
    As howarmat said put it back in the rice. It looks like there is still water in the keyboard. Also try putting the rice and phone combo somewhere warm to enhance evaporation. Like on top of the fridge near the heat exchanger.

Posted via CB10
    Even if it works, it'll never function normally again. Not much you can do about it.

Posted from an ME173X
    Even if it works, it'll never function normally again. Not much you can do about it.

Posted from an ME173X
    Not necessarily. Had a friend who sent he Q into the tub. He dried it out and it's been perfectly fine for a year now.

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    10-26-14 10:54 AM

Posted from an ME173X
    You can't know that for sure...

OP give it some time and be patient. Leave it for days with the rice on top of the fridge..give it the best chance you can.

I feel your pain through the text...good luck bud.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 10:57 AM
    Try another couple of days turned off in the rice. Could still be moisture.

Posted via CB10
    ^ This. 10 hours isn't nearly long enough. Put it back in the rice and resist the urge to turn it on and check it. Hopefully no permanent damage has been done by turning it back on already.

Best of luck. I hope it works out for you.

Posted via CB10
    solitude1984 likes this.
    10-26-14 11:02 AM

Posted from an ME173X
    Not necessarily. Last year, I had a 1 month old brand new MacBook Air and spilled a huge mug of coffee on it.

I remember picking up the lap top and shaking it out and coffee was dripping out from any open area in the case.

Just shut it down and let it sit for 10 hours. Not even in rice.

Lo and behold, powered it up and it worked great. Keys were sticky, but the more I used them, the better they worked. They cleaned up really good after a few days of use and it worked great ever since*

*a few months later, my 2 year old spilled a glass of water over the keyboard. This time, wasn't so lucky. $500 repair.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:19 AM
    You can't know that for sure...

OP give it some time and be patient. Leave it for days with the rice on top of the fridge..give it the best chance you can.

I feel your pain through the text...good luck bud.

Posted via CB10
    Just speaking from experience, quite similar to OP's. My phone"s keyboard went wacky and couldn't get a decent reception anymore.

Maybe I was just unlucky.

Posted from an ME173X
    10-26-14 11:42 AM
    I am beyond devastated, after rogers shipped my phone to the wrong address and i had to wait almost two weeks for the phone I was ecstatic to have this phone in my hands. The reason I even purchased this phone was because my Z10 was stolen 3 weeks ago; I am a student and I had to stretch my self to even get this phone and now its pretty much over.

Sequence of Events

1. Placed Blackberry on the washroom counter, somehow slipped and landed into the toilet which was empty
    2. Grabbed the phone quickly and dried it off as I powered it down - was partially submerged for less than 10 seconds
    3. Quickly put the blackberry in a bag of rice
    4. Remembered that the one that that was removable was the SIM card and went back to the bag and removed it
    5. Cursed at my idiocy for 15 minutes
    6. 10 hours later went to check phone, wouldn't power on until I connected to the charger
    7. Loads up while keyboard back light flickers a bit
    8. Asks for password - random letters fill the field
    9. Restart the phone, can now use the keyboard but "zzzzzzz" continues to be spelt
    10. Restart the phone again can now use keyboard to enter password
    11. Led is flashing somewhat erratically but not uncommon when first loading OS
    12. Everything loads up regularly, keyboard stops functioning soon after
    13. Turned off phone and put in bag of rice for another few hours
    14. Decide to turn phone back on and os loads fairly normally
    15. Everything works except "Z" character and when I click "A" it spells out "aq"

What can I do?
    Is the phone done for good?
    Has any one gone through this or knows what is happening?
    If i kindly messaged blackberry would they do anything?
    Would they be able to give me a new one for even 200-300$ for exchange?
    Hey buddy, had the same thing happen to me .

So first, put it back and submerge the entire phone in the bag of rice and leave the bag open.

Leave it there for at least 5 consecutive days. If you have a room in the house that has sun all day put there.

Don't check, don't turn it on....do nothing!

Check back with us and let us know the status after 5 days. The length of time is important! Trust me!

Here my story: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=931827

Cheers!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport SR 10.3.0.908, OS 10.3.0.1418
    Last edited by pepe68; 10-26-14 at 12:28 PM.
    10-26-14 11:52 AM
    this is why Blackberry should sell a product similar to Apple Care + ... you would think things like this happen more to corp. phones since most employees do not take care of the corp. properties
    10-26-14 11:56 AM
    You need to do the long-term drying because any moisture that is left will eventually cause corrosion. You can even purchase silica desiccants which are often used by gun owners for storage.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    10-26-14 12:03 PM
    Sorry to break the bad news but yeah BUT any kind of water damage pretty much nulls all warranties. Purchasing a new device may be your only option!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    10-26-14 12:10 PM
    You need to do the long-term drying because any moisture that is left will eventually cause corrosion. You can even purchase silica desiccants which are often used by gun owners for storage.

I use Exquisicat Cat litter in my cigar humidor to regulate humidity. The non-scented type. Those crystals are designed to absorb moisture and regulate the air around them to 70% by both releasing and absorbing moisture - perfect for cigars. In this case, if you put the phone in them when dry I'd bet they would do a great job of pulling moisture out of the device. Whether they'd do it better than rice, I don't know. But it would be my first choice.

Any of the non-scented cat litter crystals should do it.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 12:13 PM
    Isn't cat litter a sticky substance that can damage the outside finish of the passport??

10-26-14 12:15 PM
    Isn't cat litter a sticky substance that can damage the outside finish of the passport??

Not the crystals I'm talking about. No worries.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-26-14 12:22 PM
    I use Exquisicat Cat litter in my cigar humidor to regulate humidity. The non-scented type. Those crystals are designed to absorb moisture and regulate the air around them to 70% by both releasing and absorbing moisture - perfect for cigars. In this case, if you put the phone in them when dry I'd bet they would do a great job of pulling moisture out of the device. Whether they'd do it better than rice, I don't know. But it would be my first choice.

Any of the non-scented cat litter crystals should do it.

Posted via CB10
    That's good idea!! Never thought of that.

Cheers !

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport SR 10.3.0.908, OS 10.3.0.1418
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-26-14 12:26 PM
    And if you use the scented type. Your passport should come out smelling great!

In all seriousness, good luck OP.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-26-14 12:30 PM
    Sounds like there is still moisture under the keyboard. The rice trick needs at LEAST 24hrs to get the water out of all the nooks and crannies. 10 hours is not nearly enough, especially with a device that you can't remove the back and battery to air it out.

Sounds like nothing serious happened to it though, so another day or so in a ziplock of rice should get that last pesky keyboard key working. Use BBVE app to test the device after another 24hrs in rice, it will test the keyboard keys, touch pad, and screen to be sure it is all 100%.

I think you will be fine.
    10-26-14 12:42 PM
    It will take 3 days at least and put the bag with rice at the windows where the sun is of where it is warm. After 3 days or better 4 days get the Phone out and start it up.
    10-26-14 12:46 PM
    I once dropped my z10 into the bottom of a swimming pool and after 2days in rice 48hrs it seemed to work fine. Same thing happened to my 9780 as well and the rice did the trick.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 12:46 PM
    Same for me and my Z30: after 10 seconds in the pool I put it under the hot sun because I was away from home and I had no rice.
    At first it did strange things and rebooted on its own from time to time, but after 12 hours, the phone worked perfectly and still does.
    10-26-14 12:57 PM
    Oh no. Sorry to hear that OP. I didn't resist the temptation of powering the device back one too early and my 9900 was briefly on but stopped working shortly after that.

The hard part for you is not having a phone for a couple of days if you don't have a back up phone.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-26-14 01:36 PM
83 123 ...