Hi. I'd like to ask, what do I have to check in buying a 2nd hand blackberry passport? Does it have to be security wiped? And also with regards to the BB ID, will it be automatically changed once wiped? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-16 08:27 AM
    You MUST make sure that the previous owner has removed the Passport from Blackberry Protect or, at the very least, given you HIS/HER password so that you can do it. If this is not done, then no amount of wiping/restoring to factory etc will be of any help. When Protect has been disabled then you can go ahead and set up your BBID. See this page: https://help.blackberry.com/en/troub...292532786.html . Note that you need to turn off Protect from the device itself and also go to the webpage listed from a PC to remove the device from the account.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-27-16 08:47 AM
    I think I am a good person to answer lol.

So I bought a second hand Passport as well and you need to look at it very well before buying. First look at it in good light. But don't push on the screen yet. Now take it in a dark or not so bright setting and check for any light that may be leaking out from under or around the screen. The Passport has had many reports of screen lift but my first Passport never has only the second I bought. Once you are sure the screen and body is fine make sure the touch on the screen works on all sides top and center. Next is the keyboard. I noticed after buying that the spacebar did not depress the same as the other keys or my other Passport so I had to order another (not yet installed cause I'm waiting for the new screen also).
    Be sure to hit every letter once and see if you get one or two characters for each. Passport's also had a double typing issue but not too often.

Now for the BlackBerry Protect and ID
    Make sure the seller turned off the BlackBerry Protect before wiping it. I don't think the seller has to remove the device from his BlackBerry Protect account once the device has had the BlackBerry Protect manually turned off and then wiped then signed in with a new ID. Only way to know is to sign in with yours right there. If you don't do this you may have a nice coaster for your coffee. Not that that would look bad lol. I made that mistake and the seller could not turn it of after via the BlackBerry Protect Website so we had to actually meet again and connect to wifi, then he was able to sign in and turn it off the wipe again. I was very lucky cause once someone has your money they may not help you out again.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 12-27-16 at 09:12 AM.
    12-27-16 08:48 AM
    Here is a link to what happened to me as far as the BlackBerry Protect.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1088090

Posted via CB10
    12-27-16 09:07 AM
    It is very common for the space bar to feel different from the rest of the keys on the passport and doesn't affect the use. Do a search and you'll find similar posts. It's not normally something to worry about
    andy957 likes this.
    12-27-16 10:45 AM
    Run bbve before you pay. It will run all the test to make sure all of the hardware is working

Sent from my ⑩ Passport SE; not running Android.
    12-27-16 06:28 PM
    Yes. Definitely run BBVE. It will cover most things that you need to check in addition to the removal of the existing BBID

Sent from my ⑩ Passport SE; not running Android.
    12-27-16 06:48 PM
    #1 thing above the obvious screen lift and even the bbid.......

Make sure you can test a working SIM card out in the phone. Some Passports SIM trays are breaking. And you'd never notice unless you try out a SIM card and try connecting to a network.
    12-27-16 07:40 PM
    It is very common for the space bar to feel different from the rest of the keys on the passport and doesn't affect the use. Do a search and you'll find similar posts. It's not normally something to worry about
    Well common is not acceptable so this is why I want perfect working condition and ordered a new keyboard and all the keys in the keyboard work perfectly...... well they feel like it anyway lol. Haven't actually installed it yet haha!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-16 08:09 PM
    Strongly recommend to check battery health. Battery replacement can be costly.
    12-28-16 05:24 PM
    Strongly recommend to check battery health. Battery replacement can be costly.
    No way to try that unless you use the phone for a while.
    12-28-16 11:12 PM
    No way to try that unless you use the phone for a while.
    There is a way.
    1. Ask your seller to install one of apps measuring battery health. Several are available in BB World. Request her/him to send you a screenshot.
    2. After the purchase, wipe and data transfer, install the app of your choice and check the health. Probably it will not match earlier readings. 5-10% differences were reported.
    3. Check the health again after 2-3 days. It should match what was reported before the wipe. Unless something bad happened to the battery or the seller was not honest.
    12-29-16 02:48 PM