24 hours with Passport report-nokia-e61.jpg

This is Nokia E61. Please compare its design with Passport. I have used one longtime ago and loved it.
    09-09-14 07:46 AM
    From the get go I doubt very much that BlackBerry was targeting people that needed a sexy phone, while that helps, I doubt anyone in their right minds would purposely come out with a design like this and think hmmm now that's sexy! I do like sexy stuff, but when it comes to a mobile device, sexy is not what I'm looking for, but getting stuff done fast!

Now how does it rank in terms of how it works? Would you consider this phone as being more efficient than the Q10?
    As long as Blackberry fixed the very annoying double typing issue that I have on my Q10 (which I am using less and less because of it), I may consider to buy one next year.
    09-09-14 07:51 AM
    When you step away from the pack and innovate, it does need growing into. Took me a while to get used to virtual and physical as I am used to touching the screen then touching the keys versus Pressing it.
    BB10 is something you grow into as well.
    Once you get used to the change and make the flip in your brain like BB10 was, it does grow on you.
    Browsing on it is freaking awesome.
    Also dropped mine from 4 foot getting out of car onto garage floor and heard a loud crack and the it is still mint, no sign it was ever dropped.
    I'm focusing on cosmetic because the OS is great. 10.2 was good, 10.3 is smoother and more polished. The keyboard on the Passport is "OK" not as intuitive as standard, but it works. It's just plain odd looking. It's wider than any large Android other than Galaxy Note. Looks odd holding up to your face. Maybe they should just contract Porsche Design next time. I don't think a phone design should "grow on you". I reiterate that ALL people that had the phone in their hands had a puzzled look on their face. I don't recall anyone wanting one to replace their Corp issued phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 07:52 AM
    I do like sexy stuff, but when it comes to a mobile device, sexy is not what I'm looking for, but getting stuff done fast!
    I think it has to be both. Getting stuff done on an unsexy device is not a very satisfying experience.
    09-09-14 08:00 AM
    That was my first thought when presented to us.... Ugly. It would not be as bad if it would be cheap but probably not, as a matter of fact it would be probably at the range of Note 3 or iphone 6. So ugly and expensive? ughhhh
    09-09-14 08:12 AM
    Comwave, are people in your company developers? Or i may rephrase are people in your company use email to drive business alot?

Do you guys look at the device from users?

Im using 9700 (company's phone), my wish is big screen and key board like the Passport so that I can type precisely and be able to play with documents (word, spreadsheet) while im in a meeting or travelling.

Posted via Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.1154
    09-09-14 08:17 AM
    Thanks for the post OP... It's nice to read a different view from the passport. I believe things can grow on you, just like sometimes I listen to a song the first time and does nothing to me and when I take my time to actually listen to it, it actually grows on me till I overplay it...

I believe the fact it's different will be a phone at first impression that no one will like... I remember the first time a leak of the passport came out, most users were against it and by time it grew on them. Especially when they saw a clearer picture of the passport.

Please let us know after a week, if you still feel the same about the look of the passport!
    lmsilvam likes this.
    09-09-14 08:49 AM
    I'm focusing on cosmetic because the OS is great. 10.2 was good, 10.3 is smoother and more polished. The keyboard on the Passport is "OK" not as intuitive as standard, but it works. It's just plain odd looking. It's wider than any large Android other than Galaxy Note. Looks odd holding up to your face. Maybe they should just contract Porsche Design next time. I don't think a phone design should "grow on you". I reiterate that ALL people that had the phone in their hands had a puzzled look on their face. I don't recall anyone wanting one to replace their Corp issued phone.

Posted via CB10
    I respect your opinion and would not lobby to sell you otherwise. I only would point out that the Note had similar reaction when it launched. I think the attractiveness of this device will come from functionality. Much like a station wagon or ugly women that can cook. Neither one gets the looks or desires, but once you have one, it's indispensable.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    ubizmo and eyesopen1111 like this.
    09-09-14 09:02 AM
    For me ... looks do not determine my purchase.... was never thrilled with my 9800 but did what I wanted... the way I wanted.... guess if astheitcs are that important... sometimes you miss what the device acutally does... sort of puts you in stuck mode when you cannot get past how it looks....
    09-09-14 09:13 AM
    To the OP:

Can you see where the design would work for what BlackBerry suggests is the targeted market for the device?
    09-09-14 09:16 AM
    This isn't a mass market appeal phone and I don't think it ever was meant to be. It was meant to sell in low to moderate numbers at high prices to select audiences.
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    09-09-14 09:26 AM
    I believe the fact it's different will be a phone at first impression that no one will like... I remember the first time a leak of the passport came out, most users were against it and by time it grew on them. Especially when they saw a clearer picture of the passport.
    This.
    When the Windermere prototype picture was leaked the reaction was mostly one of disapproval and hope that was not the final form. The release Passport is very close to that, but as the innovative features have been pointed out, more and more people (myself included) have come to appreciate the advantages and no longer think it is madness. I guess it just grew on us...
    09-09-14 09:28 AM
    I think it's just that no one is used to that keyboard.
    09-09-14 09:44 AM
    OP: Did they just send the Passport to you or did you request it?
    09-09-14 09:53 AM
    ugly women that can cook
    But, it is much more satisfying with a pretty woman that can cook. But, I digress.
    Functionality coupled with something that is aesthetically pleasing is a win win.

I will reserve comment on the aesthetics of the Passport until I see one.
    09-09-14 10:03 AM
    With respect to size, I haven't held one, and have no frame of reference other than what I have seen, but the lack of rounded corners (to me) was an oversight. This is a device that is most likely going to be carried in a bunch of guys' pockets, and rounded corners just seem more practical and also potentially more comfortable.
    It seems strange too that they were developing a specific look with their other phones, and departed from it significantly.
    I really *hope* that I'm going to love it, but I think I'm going to buy it, use it, and all the while be thinking, "Why didn't they create a slider instead of this?"
    The bottom line though is that there's no alternative at all for users who want a new QWERTY phone that also has a reasonable amount of screen space. So... lacking other viable alternatives, we will need to quit griping and get on with life. There are certainly more important things that merit the amount of attention we devote to this each day.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    09-09-14 10:04 AM
    I respect your opinion and would not lobby to sell you otherwise. I only would point out that the Note had similar reaction when it launched. I think the attractiveness of this device will come from functionality. Much like a station wagon or ugly women that can cook. Neither one gets the looks or desires, but once you have one, it's indispensable.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    That might be the case but the Note has the apps the Passport do not. Shelling out same price for a handicapped phone just because of the logo does not really make much business sense to me
    09-09-14 10:08 AM
    That might be the case but the Note has the apps the Passport do not. Shelling out same price for a handicapped phone just because of the logo does not really make much business sense to me
    Who is talking about apps????

We are talking about form factor

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    09-09-14 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Of course the Passport look kind of odd because it is completely different design than the rest of the smartphone in the world. 99% of Smartphones are looking rounded edge and the Passport looks square. Almost 100% of consumer brain recorded the rounded edge image only and they are not used to the square phone yet. Don't judge the phone by its design! Wait until the public get their hands on it and let see what will happen? I admitted I said it is ugly design when the first image of Passport leaked on the internet, but now, after I see more and more images, I start to like it very much. I will trade in my Z10 for it if AT&T in the USA carries it.
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-09-14 10:24 AM
    I played with a Passport for 10 minutes a few weeks ago.

It's big, it's in your face, it's modern BlackBerry.

I love the look, the feel is premium, browsing was a pleasure, the screen had accurate color reproduction, the keyboard felt great when typing.

My only concern is getting used to the new way of typing not the size. Like anything else, you adjust so to me it will still be better than a virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh and currentodysseys like this.
    09-09-14 10:32 AM
    I'm curious why the OP hasn't answered any questions that have been asked. I can't imagine you would have a good idea of a device in 24 hours let alone a brand new device such as the BlackBerry Passport.

When I received my Q10 it took me a few weeks to get comfortable with the OS and all the features. I have no problem with someone giving a negative review or thought about the BlackBerry Passport, I actually welcome it. I know that some on here will complain and call BS but I really don't mind it. What I do mind is seeing a negative post with absolutely no follow up or effort to answer the communities questions.

I will wait to form my own opinion like most of us here on CrackBerry will do.

Posted via Q10
    gfondeur and Captain_Hilts like this.
    09-09-14 10:35 AM
    As long as Blackberry fixed the very annoying double typing issue that I have on my Q10 (which I am using less and less because of it), I may consider to buy one next year.
    Jeez just double typing? My wife's Q10 does like quadruple! If you so much as look at the "R" key not to talk about touching it, it gives you an instant triple!
    09-09-14 10:43 AM
    As a developer we have a device. The OS is amazing and the large screen is fantastic...but it all stops there. Around the office the general feeling is the device is too wide...a "brick" was used by several people to describe it. It's not an elegant device that you want, it would be used more out of requirement for screen real-estate. NOBODY came out and said "that's sexy" or anything remotely. Too bad such poor industrial design. Really all they had to do was take the Q10 and make it a little taller like the Samsungs of the world. You can't make everybody happy I guess...but where were the focus groups on this! We are big on Blackberry at our company as it is standard issue for all staff. Maybe it will grow on me. Does it really need to be that way?

Posted via CB10
    Bad industrial design, bad form factor, bad whatever. Simply put, it stinks!
    09-09-14 10:45 AM
    But, it is much more satisfying with a pretty woman that can cook. But, I digress.
    Functionality coupled with something that is aesthetically pleasing is a win win.

I will reserve comment on the aesthetics of the Passport until I see one.
    Ugly women can always enhance their looks with different hair styles, clothing, makeup, etc... The same is true for the Passport. You can always cover it with a case that will enhance its looks if you feel you need to.
    09-09-14 10:56 AM
    Really all they had to do was take the Q10 and make it a little taller like the Samsungs of the world.
    This.
    09-09-14 11:25 AM
213 12345 ...