This.should.be.closed.yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 03:11 AM
    If the pictures do not attract the people, it will fail. They have to want to see it, and feel it from the pictures. I love my Z10. But I don't think I would like this Passport. Not from I seen, and read.
    I know some people will like it, but not enough to help BlackBerry get more phones sold, or people excited.

Posted via CB10
    As long as they are making money off the passport, then it is a net gain for us as blackberry supports and the company. What I think people tend to forget is that Blackberry does not have to be like Apple and Samsung in a selling big numbers right out the gate of new product release. If Blackberry can start operating at a profit and makes small gains they are going to be in good position down the road.
    09-13-14 10:15 AM
    I thought the NOTE looked super huge abd ugly when it 1st came out as well, but well, people just accepted it as standard now.

Aftab
    09-13-14 12:52 PM
    Attachment 297359

So your telling me that your company made an app for calls that since release isn't even built for BlackBerry and they let you have a passport for 24hrs???
    An app that is VERY POORLY rated at that.

Yeah I'm gonna call baloney on op.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    We built ePhone which is native BlackBerry on cascades platform. Take that!

Posted via CB10
    Karben likes this.
    09-14-14 12:38 AM
    Attachment 297359

So your telling me that your company made an app for calls that since release isn't even built for BlackBerry and they let you have a passport for 24hrs???
    An app that is VERY POORLY rated at that.

Yeah I'm gonna call baloney on op.

24 hours with Passport report-img_20140908_140057.jpg
    24 hours with Passport report-img_20140908_135621.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 12:40 AM
    Guys r u being so harsh on the OP? He has his views how has it to do anything with BlackBerry progress? Tomorrow when the phone comes out everyone around will have that look at ur phone, because it has not grown in them yet, we cannot loose frds just coz of such a silly reason?

Aftab
    09-14-14 09:22 AM
    Poor fella the OP. He wanted to share something of value with the community only to be called liar by the Internet kids from behind their monitors.
    Not everybody has to love Passport. I feel sorry the way this thread turned out.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-14-14 06:18 PM
    LOL. I do have both. : ) and believe me it's louder.

Posted via CB10
    Same. And way louder.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 08:27 PM
    Poor fella the OP. He wanted to share something of value with the community only to be called liar by the Internet kids from behind their monitors.
    Seriously? "Internet kids"? I'm 33 years old with a Ph.D., and I don't think that asking for a more substantive argument other than "it's not a sexy Samsung" and for more substantive proof other than "I made an app and have a device" is too much. And if the OP is anything other than a "kid" himself, then I'm pretty sure he can both take criticism himself and answer our concerns regarding his credibility.

Also, I (and perhaps others) do not appreciate the implication that I am a coward because I'm responding to an Internet discussion thread on the Internet. If the OP was sitting here in front of me in my apartment in Japan, I would say the exact same thing. But he is not here, and I don't know where the OP lives, and I'm quite certain he wouldn't appreciate me showing up at his door if I did know.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 08:32 PM
    Well you're not the worst here lol...calling him a troll or asking to close the thread because he doesn't worship the passport in every single line is childish for sure...

You started with fairly reasonable questions but as the thread progressed it seems obvious you can't get over any criticism about the phone given that you said you're buying it. Feels like you nearly feel obliged to protect your future toy from any bad word about it.
    09-14-14 09:43 PM
    Well you're not the worst here lol...calling him a troll or asking to close the thread because he doesn't worship the passport in every single line is childish for sure...
    I don't know who's doing this. Nobody is asking for the thread to be closed because of a lack of praise, but rather for a lack of an argument.

You started with fairly reasonable questions but as the thread progressed it seems obvious you can't get over any criticism about the phone given that you said you're buying it. Feels like you nearly feel obliged to protect your future toy from any bad word about it.
    Wow, you seem to know more about me than I do! I, like others here, aren't demanding everyone to fall in line with a certain point of view, only to support their criticisms with reason and proof, not childish bashing of product A because it's not product B. Yes, I do plan to buy the Passport, but that doesn't preclude me from seeking valid criticisms that could affect my enjoyment and use of the device (of which the OP has offered absolutely none). On the contrary, it encourages me to do just that. So please stop creating strawmen here. No one is unfairly attacking the OP.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 10:42 PM
    Not everybody has to love Passport. I feel sorry the way this thread turned out.
    Says the poster calling others "Internet kids" from behind their monitor....

09-15-14 05:08 PM
    Oops.
    I was not in the thread I thought I was... time to sleep, I guess lol. (deleted)
    09-15-14 05:19 PM
    what a complete load of twaddle this thread is. The guy gave some balance in what has become an incredibly skewed subforum.

His opinions and feelings on a phone don't have to be debated as qualitative facts - opinions aren't facts, they are how an individual feels, and that is all he has to say.

What a lovely community CB has become over the years. So what's next, when do we start burning the heretics? ........
    09-17-14 06:12 PM
    Passport is aimed at Enterprise / Health care industry etc. Though for me I will be getting it as it will continue the line of devices aimed for productivity.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-17-14 06:21 PM
    I think BlackBerry needs to produce the Z50.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    09-18-14 04:50 PM
    Passport is aimed at Enterprise / Health care industry etc. Though for me I will be getting it as it will continue the line of devices aimed for productivity.

Posted via CB10
    This is definitely how I feel about the Passport. It's designed to be held two handed and furiously typed on, not really one handed and swiped at as you generally use an all touch device. The virtual track pad and such are there specifically so it spends as much time as possible in the traditional Blackberry prayer position rather than anything else.

As for the design? I like it, but I can totally understand why other people wouldn't. It is certainly different to everything else on the market, but it's not really built to win people over from other platforms just by being pretty. I can't imagine anyone picking this up in a store and making their choice based just on looks. It's designed squarely to be a best of both worlds device that gives you a big screen and a keyboard which isn't really possible without a weirdly proportioned device. It is a work device for people who type a lot, and that is what they have always delivered on.

I doubt the passport will change the world, because nothing really does these days, but it's still kinda nice to be something different. The adverts for the new Note talk about how when it first came out people laughed. I doubt the passport will have that kind of success, but I do think it'll grow to be respected.

And say what you may about BBRY - They have never stopped trying to do something different with their products. They haven't set the world on fire in recent years, but for a decade they have consistently tried to do something different. Whether that's the Pearl being closer to a feature phone (how funny is THAT looking back?) the Storm having a different kind of touch screen, the Torch's slider form factors and even the hybrid touch/keyboard BB10 devices, they have continually done more than put out the exact same device with a few minor refinements. I don't know if any of us, even those of us who did make the jump to very dull all touch devices, would love BBRY as much if they had turned into just another smartphone manufacturer that offers the cheap glass oblong, the big glass oblong and the slightly bigger glass oblong every year. When a new generation of blackberries comes around I'm excited to upgrade, not because I'm a rampant fanboy but because I'm actually going to get something tangibly different with my new device. My girlfriend still uses her Note 2 even though she could upgrade because she can't see any reason to upgrade. Same for lots of Android and iPhone users, especially ones like us who don't have money to burn just to be on the latest thing.
    09-18-14 06:06 PM
    I call troll to the OP. Any proof they actually have one and are a developer? Those pics could be from anywhere online.
    09-18-14 06:22 PM
    If you think they are, find them using Google's image search. It should be really easy. I regularly spot fake profiles on LinkedIn, for example, It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to find the picture that a profile shot has been stolen from, if it has been posted in a public forum.
    Otherwise, there's really no reason to assume that the OP is making anything up.

I call troll to the OP. Any proof they actually have one and are a developer? Those pics could be from anywhere online.
    09-19-14 11:30 AM
    I'll put this in perspective. I have 5 friends who work for blackberry and 4 of them top programmers in different areas. All 5 of them carry android phones for different reasons mainly testing and app usage. The general consensus at blackberry is their bags and desks are packed and ready to leave at anytime. They all admit that with passport and classic nothing will change their market share and all are upset at decision making behind the scenes which is troubling. There are still a few elite within blackberry who are making bad choices and what the passport should've been and what it is are two very different things. I've been meaning to take some questions for weeks although I must admit they won't tell me everything obviously. I can say confidently that next year a touch screen is coming that is top of the game. That is if blackberry makes it past the passport and classic stage.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-19-14 11:46 AM
    Are we now at the stage where no one can offer a critical view? Goodness me, I've not seen, held or looked at a Passport, and nor have most on here. How on earth someone who has can be slated just because they haven't offered up unmitigated praise is beyond me.

It isn't going to be perfect and it isn't going to be for everyone. It's just how it is.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 11:55 AM
    It would be pretty dramatic if a company like BlackBerry with no debt, close to a billion dollars in cash, would go out of business that quickly. Sure, it could happen, but they seem to be doing some very good things, regardless of what one thinks of the phones that are about to be released. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, large investors are supportive of their plans, and are buying more stock.

I'll put this in perspective. I have 5 friends who work for blackberry and 4 of them top programmers in different areas. All 5 of them carry android phones for different reasons mainly testing and app usage. The general consensus at blackberry is their bags and desks are packed and ready to leave at anytime. They all admit that with passport and classic nothing will change their market share and all are upset at decision making behind the scenes which is troubling. There are still a few elite within blackberry who are making bad choices and what the passport should've been and what it is are two very different things. I've been meaning to take some questions for weeks although I must admit they won't tell me everything obviously. I can say confidently that next year a touch screen is coming that is top of the game. That is if blackberry makes it past the passport and classic stage.

WWBlondieDo likes this.
    09-19-14 02:08 PM

Well, I hope a reiteration of the Z30 comes out since it's a great device.... maybe the Z50?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    09-19-14 02:57 PM
    Which is very true. I tell them all the time they are doing a fantastic job but they're all depressed about loosing most of their colleagues over the last 14 months. One thing though is they do have some influence over what gets into the newest updates so if any of you have questions or comments I can pass them over.

Last edited by Bdot-1; 09-19-14 at 07:08 PM.
    09-19-14 03:00 PM
    what a complete load of twaddle this thread is. The guy gave some balance in what has become an incredibly skewed subforum.

His opinions and feelings on a phone don't have to be debated as qualitative facts - opinions aren't facts, they are how an individual feels, and that is all he has to say.

What a lovely community CB has become over the years. So what's next, when do we start burning the heretics? ........
    Sorry - I'm not bashing here - the point is not that OP reports his perception of his colleagues' feeling but the extrapolation leading to "what a designer fail" which is not only a feeling but an assumption. And this assumption is based on a tweaked reality: that Passport is aimed to individuals, should they be developers or Joes.
    I won't start over what has been already noted many times: it's aimed to a very specific target - as of date.

Other contributions in the forum (where OP did pop and repeated his view) have another approach. They clearly state design appears "weird" (whatever you want to call it) at first but then, usage reveals all the meaning of the design, in all its goodness.
    The exact opposite of what OP can suggest.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    09-19-14 03:21 PM
213 ... 6789