I find that hard to believe.
    Did you use it?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 11:03 AM
    It is way louder than z30 my friend honestly

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 11:10 AM
    I personally don't like the look of it much either. The designs the pootermobile created looked fantastic. Simple change in color makes a huge difference. Time to move on from the chrome frets. I'm holding out hope that BlackBerry is aware of many people's initial reaction to it and surprise us with better styling/color options. Nobody (outside of hardcore BB fans) will buy the phone if the look needs to grow on them.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    09-10-14 12:14 PM
    Well that's a short count of words for a 24hrs report.
    I'd suggest the words 'impressions' or 'perception' instead of 'report'.

Because it's what I'd tend it to be. A fast, non immersive observers' first impressions, based on the general outlook of the device.
    We already know this is how many will react : "wozzat". So goes every first iterations of innovative devices. Remember the first phablets and how we (at least I) laughed at the "guy with a yearbook on the ear".

"Experience" is what I believe will make the difference here and the various comments and early reviews I've heard tend to lead in another direction; like the small guy in a basket team, outfit is not the key. I'd be much more embarrassed if you had pointed to usage problems like typing or weight balance ... but I'm not sure how much you experienced its usage. I'd bet not that much. Under a reasonable delay of discovery, you may have found advantages that balance this in favor of the overall experience.

Note this is conditional as I've not been yet using it (will come soon, the 24th) but every time I see it in hands (on video) I have a better opinion about this passport and I can "feel" the BlackBerry DNA all around. I've no doubt I'll switch my Z30 for a while ... and believe me, if I stand with the passport it'll have to be an amazing tool.

I'd be fixed in 3 weeks or so, and then, I'll report, too
    09-10-14 12:53 PM
    Seriously .. Does it matter.. It's more important the percentage and general feedback from an office that uses it. It's probably representative of how the general public will receive it.
    Sorry, but no.
    If ever one device should be attached to the word "Enterprise", passport would be. Not general public, not based on how it looks. Based on what it can offer to the enterprise in terms of efficiency, reliability and security. this is a COPE candidate, not a hype candidate.
    Note: sometimes ... surprises can happen though .
    currentodysseys likes this.
    09-10-14 01:00 PM
    I dont' think the size and shape is what people are truly against. Yeah some, but not most. It's the BlackBerry logo that the public (people in the OP's office) sees. You know damn well if it had a iPhone logo on it, they would be all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. The OP could have shown an upgraded Z30 if BlackBerry had one, and people would still knock it in some way.

Here's how it goes for most of the general public...
    iPhone or Samsung logo - "Wow, that's pretty neat. I like the fact that thought differently than anyone else with the square design. This capacitive swiping on top of the physical keys is amazing and unheard of! When does this go on sale?"

BlackBerry logo - "Wow, this is a BlackBerry? I thought they went out of business. This fugly thing looks like my office calculator and spongebob squarepants. (*laughs at it, while not even trying the OS*)"
    09-10-14 01:44 PM
    You know damn well if it had a iPhone logo on it, they would be all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. The OP could have shown an upgraded Z30 if BlackBerry had one, and people would still knock it in some way.

iPhone or Samsung logo - "Wow, that's pretty neat. I like the fact that thought differently than anyone else with the square design. This capacitive swiping on top of the physical keys is amazing and unheard of! When does this go on sale?"
    It would be more reasonable for Apple to launch such device than for BlackBerry. With strong developer support for iOS I'm sure there would be lots of apps that will benefit from device format.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 02:57 PM
    Sorry. But when I see an iPhone I think young girl. Just my impression. Still don't see it as a professional device. Just my opinion. Looks way too much like jewelry.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-10-14 03:06 PM
    Did you use it?
    No. Did you? And if you did, then did you have a Z30 right next to it and compare the same song so you can make a statement like that. Or are you just making assumptions because you like the Passport and want one. Because I think you are making that up.
    09-10-14 03:26 PM
    Has the OP considered the BB classic (or does he even know about it)? He says BB should've just made the q10 taller, but that's pretty much the classic (+ the toolbelt). The fact that he didn't mention it makes me potentially question the veracity of his report (if his office has the passport already, wouldn't they have at least heard of the classic, and possibly had samples of that too (I understand this is unlikely that they had samples of the classic already, but its possible since they have passports already (well ahead of release)). OP? Classic?
    09-10-14 04:40 PM
    As a developer we have a device. The OS is amazing and the large screen is fantastic...but it all stops there. Around the office the general feeling is the device is too wide...a "brick" was used by several people to describe it. It's not an elegant device that you want, it would be used more out of requirement for screen real-estate. NOBODY came out and said "that's sexy" or anything remotely. Too bad such poor industrial design. Really all they had to do was take the Q10 and make it a little taller like the Samsungs of the world. You can't make everybody happy I guess...but where were the focus groups on this! We are big on Blackberry at our company as it is standard issue for all staff. Maybe it will grow on me. Does it really need to be that way?

Posted via CB10
    Ok, much has been answered in relation to your initial post OP. What I want to point out is, that it really strikes me that you mention an isolated feature (design/ "sexyness") of the phone only, and especially from software production/ developer perspective, as most in your company may be... so, no-one talked or cared about capabilities, features and added value that results from the size and design, in terms of productivity, viewing improvement and keyboard innovation?

It is hard for me to portray a group of software devs that will focus simply on the "design" without even touching upon what potential benefits that design has.

Second observation (and only because you mentioned it), your co-workers are NOT a focus group; I have some years of experience in Market Research and you would be amazed of the groups that disqualify due to bad moderator discussion management and bias generation/ direction imposition that prohibits studying the targeted features in the targeted way and methodology. So, being a group of devs that use bb as company issued phones and no-one saying "sexy" does not qualify for a "focus group" or "representative sample" or "general real life opinion". Like it or not, it is not representative. That of course does not mean that your feedback does not have its merit and importance; it sure does under some perspectives.

On another issue: "used the word brick"... so? Do they appreciate the phone as the whole mobile experience it is supposed to produce and offer and then disqualify it as a brick? Because if not, what you are sharing is the "impression" of a certain "more or less homogenous mentality" group, which really says nothing about the potential conscious consumer the phone is directed to. In other words, if it is as I describe, it is an interesting observation but irrelevant to a high degree, what your colleagues said.

I am not proposing you should go out make a research before posting of course; to the contrary, thank you for the feedback; as a potential passport owner, I appreciate it; but that does not increase the relevancy or "weight" it has on my perception of the phone.

My Treo was a brick, back when all other phones could do was call, sms and contacts... and the Treo, "WAS" a brick, as being bigger and heavier... but it served a totally different purpose. People using a Razr (i had one as my second phone as well), would only stop calling it a brick, when they understood it was supposed to do other things or things in a different way.

Phablets, larger phones do that. and the passport does even more, with its share of new perspective, touch sensitive keyboard, more words per line etc... so, It is not just "another mobile pretending to be sexy"; it is a different product, aimed to different people. And at the end of the day, "sex-appeal" depends on the person carrying it, rather than the phone "making some one sexy"...

PS: I bet vast majority of your colleagues have android phones with sexy specs and all? (not being ironic, it is just that most devs I know, prefer android for their personal everyday phone, due to software possibilities and being a real toy for them to customize. If this is the case, one more reason why they would not find the Passport to be...well... "sexy"....
    09-10-14 05:01 PM
    It's interesting that a post from one developer on crackberry has made news: news(dot)softpedia(dot) com/news/BlackBerry-Passport-Will-Be-a-Flop-Due-to-Eccentric-Design-Developer-Claims-458377(dot)shtml (Note: insert and actual period as my post count isn't high enough to post direct link)

Not sure what this softpedia website is, but not exactly the type of news you like to see. This was a the top link when I did a news search for BlackBerry Passport.
    09-10-14 05:03 PM
    It's interesting that a post from one developer on crackberry has made news: news(dot)softpedia(dot) com/news/BlackBerry-Passport-Will-Be-a-Flop-Due-to-Eccentric-Design-Developer-Claims-458377(dot)shtml (Note: insert and actual period as my post count isn't high enough to post direct link)

Not sure what this softpedia website is, but not exactly the type of news you like to see. This was a the top link when I did a news search for BlackBerry Passport.
    form the article:

Many developers who received prototype units claim that the Passport fits well in a pocket and feels right in hand, so those having second thoughts on grabbing it or not were probably convinced that they need not worry about the smartphone’s size.
    and further down on the same article:

comwave claims that the BlackBerry Passport is “too square/wide to fit in your pocket, can't take it to the gym, can't put it in your shorts...it's basically a great Phablet. Nowhere near cool enough to get people to change from Q10 to Passport...too big of a jump. Only those people who already have a personal phone and a corporate issued phone didn't care to replace their Q for passport.”
    you see the point no? : "Many developers" vs "comwave".

That alone is reason enough to re-read my previous observation of how the OP's initial feedback is not representative.

as for the "article"... well ... need we go further?

(OP, no offence intended here; just saying that up to now, feedback regarding Passport fitting in pockets is the total oposite of what you are sharing with us here. As to my last comment, to make an article based on a single user (OPs) opinion, when you do not even know who he is (or so let it be understood), only calls for questioning the article's real intentions).
    09-10-14 05:20 PM
    No. Did you? And if you did, then did you have a Z30 right next to it and compare the same song so you can make a statement like that. Or are you just making assumptions because you like the Passport and want one. Because I think you are making that up.
    LOL. I do have both. : ) and believe me it's louder.

Posted via CB10
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    09-10-14 05:21 PM
    oh!:

here is a copy-paste of the article:

BlackBerry Passport Will Be a Flop Due to Eccentric Design, Developer Claims

BlackBerry is readying its comeback in the smartphone business, and one of the first products meant to strengthen its presence on the market has already been released, the Z3.

However, the Canadian company has another device prepared for BlackBerry fans, aside from the affordable Z3, and that’s the “innovative” Passport.

We’ve been reporting on the Passport since the smartphone was first rumored, and the general opinion is that this might be a popular device among BlackBerry users.

Obviously, that won’t be enough to save BlackBerry, which is why the Canadian company needs the Passport to be a hit among customers who are willing to switch to BlackBerry to get this unusual device.

Many developers who received prototype units claim that the Passport fits well in a pocket and feels right in hand, so those having second thoughts on grabbing it or not were probably convinced that they need not worry about the smartphone’s size.

Sadly for all those excited about the BlackBerry Passport, at least one developer isn’t happy at all with how the Canadian company decided to design this particular device.

BlackBerry is taking a risky approach with Passport

While the Passport is supposed to replace the Q10, BlackBerry plans to launch another device especially for that, the Q20 or BlackBerry Classic.

Which means BlackBerry Passport is the first of its kind and probably the last, if we are to take believe Crackberry forum user comwave.

According to him, no one from his company is willing to drop their Q10s for the Passport, on the contrary. Even though all his colleagues are long time BlackBerry users, as it’s a standard issue for the company they are working for, not a single one liked the Passport.

comwave claims that the BlackBerry Passport is “too square/wide to fit in your pocket, can't take it to the gym, can't put it in your shorts...it's basically a great Phablet. Nowhere near cool enough to get people to change from Q10 to Passport...too big of a jump. Only those people who already have a personal phone and a corporate issued phone didn't care to replace their Q for passport.”

On the positive side, he really likes how BlackBerry OS 10.3 runs on the Passport, but that was to be expected as each major OS upgrade brings in better usability and lots of other improvements.

Talking about BlackBerry Passport’s keyboard, comwave says that it’s ok but not as intuitive as the standard one, “It's just plain odd looking. It's wider than any large Android other than Galaxy Note. Looks odd holding up to your face. Maybe they should just contract Porsche Design next time.“

For your information, BlackBerry Passport measures 128 x 90.3 x 9.3mm and sports a 4.5-inch display that supports 1440 x 1440 pixel resolution. See more in-depth details on our BlackBerry Passport technical specifications page.
    09-10-14 05:22 PM
    Sorry. But when I see an iPhone I think young girl. Just my impression. Still don't see it as a professional device. Just my opinion. Looks way too much like jewelry.

Posted via CB10
    I know its your opinion and my comment is not in away criticizing you. However I don't get how when people say the iPhone is a toy and not professional. Fact is many, many business and executives at major companies use the iPhone for work related stuff. Personally I tried it and its not for me as the email is horrific and the search feature is even worse.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    09-10-14 05:31 PM
    I THINK Passport design has successfully "cornered" itself into enterprise market and successfully *minimized* any interests that could come from consumers... consumer interest at a newly released BlackBerry may be at its all time low... this is not comparing to an iPhone or other major competitor's devices, but to any BlackBerry devices released/sold ... Ok I could be wrong on this, Classic can be a winner too.

Of course, that's what BlackBerry wants from this device so it's actually a success. Passport is designed for enterprise/professional/business, not for consumers.

iPhone 6 and 6+, however, may get sold more in enterprise/professional/business world, more than Passport. I THINK that would be a fail. Because they are not designed for enterprise/professional/business. They are not designed for prosumers and prosumers are not sheeps. If somehow iPhone 6 and 6+ get sold more than Passport among prosumers, Apple would have lost their design purpose.

Let's hope that scenario won't happen in 2015, because I would not want to see BlackBerry going into another transition to IoT and leaving me without my Z50...
    09-10-14 05:33 PM
    I think it has to be both. Getting stuff done on an unsexy device is not a very satisfying experience.
    But having a good looking device that doesn't perform well is worse, IMO.
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-10-14 08:09 PM
    It's the BlackBerry logo that the public (people in the OP's office) sees. You know damn well if it had a iPhone logo on it, they would be all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.
    PS: I bet vast majority of your colleagues have android phones with sexy specs and all? (not being ironic, it is just that most devs I know, prefer android for their personal everyday phone, due to software possibilities and being a real toy for them to customize. If this is the case, one more reason why they would not find the Passport to be...well... "sexy"....
    We are big on Blackberry at our company as it is standard issue for all staff.
    09-10-14 08:13 PM
    Nowhere near cool enough to get people to change from Q10 to Passport...too big of a jump. Only those people who already have a personal phone and a corporate issued phone didn't care to replace their Q for passport. My bet is that it's a flop.

Posted via CB10
    I have to disagree. I have a Q10 (personal phone) , and I will purchase the Passport as soon as it becomes available in the US. I use my phone as a messaging and productivity device. I have seven e-mail accounts on my Q, and use it for viewing and responding to document updates etc.

I for one, think the Passport is very cool. It's got the hardware I want, the features I want, and the OS I want on a phone. I realize I may not not be the typical user, but I find this phone just about perfect for my needs. I can't wait for it to get here.

Q10/10.2.1.2156 Waiting for my Passport
    currentodysseys and Katika99 like this.
    09-10-14 09:56 PM
    The OP is a liar

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 10:18 PM
    The OP is a liar

Posted via CB10
    Eh, probably.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 12:15 AM
    Eh, probably.

Posted via CB10
    I will guarantee that, he claims to be a dev, he doesn't talk about his apps, he doesn't five no feedback about the passport and only talks about the most obvious things, like the display and the screen

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 12:16 AM
    I dont' think the size and shape is what people are truly against. Yeah some, but not most. It's the BlackBerry logo that the public (people in the OP's office) sees. You know damn well if it had a iPhone logo on it, they would be all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. The OP could have shown an upgraded Z30 if BlackBerry had one, and people would still knock it in some way.

BlackBerry logo - "Wow, this is a BlackBerry? I thought they went out of business. This fugly thing looks like my office calculator and spongebob squarepants. (*laughs at it, while not even trying the OS*)"
    I disagree, there is still a big gapp between the iphone and blackberry. The fluidity from the iphone is much better with just 1 gig of ram, apps are better from IOS etc etc. Sure blackberry has android runtime but we all know it is not working well ( yes I have newest leak) specwise blackberry is better with the passport but that's about it. Blackberry is not like the bible (neither is IOS or Android) blackberry will have a good phone with the passport but it can and will not compete with IOS or Android

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 12:29 AM
213 ... 45678 ...