Carjackd has a great point. I was one who thought the Z30 was ridiculous in size. After I won one from BlackBerry, I totally changed my view after a few days of use. Now when I pick up my old Z10, it seems too small for my liking. In reality, the Passport isn't that huge. Actually, this photo leaves me wanting a bigger version. At any rate, everyone is not going to like the shape of the Passport. That's just a given and is just fine. So many others to chose from. BlackBerry or not.

Attachment 296665

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    In that pic it just doesn't look that big. Granted the proportions are way different than we are used to but it's not huge by any means. To me it's a good looking phone, and the design is functional. But I can see it not being an instant hit - it is odd when you put it next to what everyone is used to.
    09-09-14 12:00 PM
    Just like when BlackBerry invented the smartphone...they are recreating it. If your looking for the same slab phone and you have an iPhone or samsung than you will likely not enjoy this girl factor. If you like to embrace change and be on leading edge than passport is for you.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 12:10 PM
    "from factor". Hahaha no slip intended.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 12:11 PM
    And as one of the "target" industries mentioned by Chen - Architecture - I would like the physical keyboard to go away and become more screen real estate with a virtual keyboard. I think my Z10 is the best.
    09-09-14 12:16 PM
    Could you post a picture of that device at your office
    09-09-14 12:19 PM
    How many people are you referring to that thought the design was poor? Three? Five? Fifty?
    As a developer we have a device. The OS is amazing and the large screen is fantastic...but it all stops there. Around the office the general feeling is the device is too wide...a "brick" was used by several people to describe it. It's not an elegant device that you want, it would be used more out of requirement for screen real-estate. NOBODY came out and said "that's sexy" or anything remotely. Too bad such poor industrial design. Really all they had to do was take the Q10 and make it a little taller like the Samsungs of the world. You can't make everybody happy I guess...but where were the focus groups on this! We are big on Blackberry at our company as it is standard issue for all staff. Maybe it will grow on me. Does it really need to be that way?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 02:00 PM
    I'm focusing on cosmetic because the OS is great. 10.2 was good, 10.3 is smoother and more polished. The keyboard on the Passport is "OK" not as intuitive as standard, but it works. It's just plain odd looking. It's wider than any large Android other than Galaxy Note. Looks odd holding up to your face. Maybe they should just contract Porsche Design next time. I don't think a phone design should "grow on you". I reiterate that ALL people that had the phone in their hands had a puzzled look on their face. I don't recall anyone wanting one to replace their Corp issued phone.

Posted via CB10
    I think part of the rationale behind the Passport is that phones in general have gotten to be pretty homogenous in form in the past couple of years, and just another keyboard phone wouldn't attract a lot of attention. The Q10 just looks pretty much like a Bold and so does the upcoming Classic.

The Passport will make a statement, and with its huge square screen it will allow easy landscape media viewing without having to rotate the phone. I (personally) think it's pretty interesting.

I get that not everyone will "get" the Passport, but I'm confident that it will attract attention.
    southlander and deltact like this.
    09-09-14 02:12 PM
    I think it's definitely a love it or hate it design. Until I go hands on I don't think I will know which camp I fall into....but it definitely is different.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 02:14 PM
    This entire discussion on whether the phone will be a hit with consumers is moot - its for a niche audience that will prioritize the screen above all else.

Doubt they'll make too many of them, no expectations of it being a big seller, not with the arrival of the new iPhones, Motorola's comeback with highly praised and highly affordable phones, the Note 4, and even the Chinese phones like Oppo, Oneplus, and Xioami.

Remember though, Chen isn't aiming big - he's aiming for profitability.

#Q10 #Gold #LimitedEdition #CB10
    09-09-14 02:32 PM
    The only pain is typing the numbers on screen. Its a learning curve and needs practice.

Otherwise it's great!!

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 02:35 PM
    The General Public perception of this will be that's it's the Blackberry "Zune". (And that's coming from a guy who has and still uses daily and loves both his original 30gb Zune and my Zune HD) The Passport will be laughed at, the comments will be along the lines of "What were they thinking?", and "Blackberry is SOO out of touch", it will be seen (again, by the General Public) as a dud, and that will be that. They should be releasing the Classic first, along with a sexy new High-Spec'd, Full Touch device at the same time to show that they can do both... you know, kind of how they SHOULD have launched the BB10 line, but actually done properly and not with 24 hours with Passport report-thorsten-heins-leaves-bla-008.jpg as the image.
    1magine, lift and Flatman like this.
    09-09-14 03:10 PM
    I'm not too sure about this 'it will grow on me' thing. Example:

When the Z10 design leaked, I instantly felt that it had that certain something. Later, when I owned one, I still felt that I had a phone that had that certain something. I can't tell exactly why, but this is how I felt - and still feel - about the Z10.
    Although I broke up with the Z10 due to dissastifying battery performance, and my inability to type on the small touchscreen (compared to the Z30), I still feel sorry for not having one, and sometimes, now that it got so cheap, feel tempted to buy me another one.
    Today I own and use a Q5 and a Z30, and I like both phones and think they are great. But they never gave me that certain something feeling, neither when they were announced, nor now that I own them.

I feel similar about the Passport - it interests me a lot, and I always wanted a bigger screen keyboard phone, and I might even buy one, but so far, this certain something feeling has not arrived.

We'll see, everything may change once I'm holding one in my hands. And all of that depends on personal preference, of course.
    Exactly how I feel about Passport, my Z10 and Z30. I gave my Z10 to my son as a complement to his laptop for use at college, and I miss playing with it almost as much as I miss my son. Outside of the Porsche designs, it was and remains the best looking, best designed BB phone ever in my opinion, just eeeking out past the Bold 9900 with it's beautiful stainless band.
    lift likes this.
    09-09-14 03:12 PM
    Obligatory: Pics or didn't happen.
    wincyUt and RodolfoAP like this.
    09-09-14 05:55 PM
    As a developer we have a device. The OS is amazing and the large screen is fantastic...but it all stops there. Around the office the general feeling is the device is too wide...a "brick" was used by several people to describe it. It's not an elegant device that you want, it would be used more out of requirement for screen real-estate. NOBODY came out and said "that's sexy" or anything remotely. Too bad such poor industrial design. Really all they had to do was take the Q10 and make it a little taller like the Samsungs of the world. You can't make everybody happy I guess...but where were the focus groups on this! We are big on Blackberry at our company as it is standard issue for all staff. Maybe it will grow on me. Does it really need to be that way?

Posted via CB10
    I certainly don't want my phone to look like a Samsung. I like my z10 but what I don't like is the fact that it gets mistaken for an iPhone quite a bit. Just like most large phones you will need a bluetooth or it will look odd when holding it up to your ear. Its only a 4.5 inch screen in a more functional format. Its a great looking phone to me. More adult and way less kiddie. Everyone has different tastes and I respect your opinion. (NOT)
    Just kidding.
    newcollector likes this.
    09-09-14 06:20 PM
    I played with a Passport for 24 hrs....true story...had a long flight
    PowderJockey likes this.
    09-09-14 07:19 PM
    24 hours? 24 hours? I think one would need more than 24 hours to know whether it was something to behold.
    09-09-14 07:25 PM
    What are you developing? Not Comwave I presume. I almost had a Passport in my hands yesterday while at BlackBerry on other business,darn NDA,lol. There must be something we had not heard yet????, as another person (Blackberry) was extremely worried about getting fired if they said too much (anything it seemed) about the Passport. As for form factor, well to each their own I suppose.
    09-09-14 07:32 PM
    The iphone 6 dog and pony show today was NOT received well by die hard iphone wallhuggers, read the comments all over the internet, it's all there. Strange thing though BlackBerry stock price went up during the iphone show and Apple stock went down in the afternoon session.
    wincyUt and LoneStarRed like this.
    09-09-14 07:38 PM
    As a developer we have a device.
    And you are probably in violation of a "Non-Disclosure agreement". Be careful: BlackBerry's lawyers are tough!
    09-09-14 07:40 PM
    Just like when BlackBerry invented the smartphone...they are recreating it. If your looking for the same slab phone and you have an iPhone or samsung than you will likely not enjoy this girl factor. If you like to embrace change and be on leading edge than passport is for you.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry did not invent the "smartphone".
    "The first smartphone was developed by IBM and BellSouth, which came out to the public in 1993. Although basic compared to today’s standards “Simon” had a touch screen that was capable of accessing email and sending faxes. "
    Flatman and 1magine like this.
    09-09-14 07:49 PM
    The Passport was never meant for the retail hungry app customers. Its part of a whole portfolio of BB10 phones. They will probably have every size, shape and look after the Classic. Its not like BB10 is only selling the Passport to the masses. So people, let's get realistic. Apple finally realized that they have to have more than one size phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 08:03 PM
    How can a phone be sexy?? Does it go down on you??

Posted via CB10
    Thrac Dark and Jtaylor1986 like this.
    09-09-14 08:09 PM
    I think for every "first" it does take getting used to or growing on you. When the first iPhone came out I didn't like it at all, but now it is the norm. Something that steps out of that rectangular shape is going to take some getting used to. That's just how society works. It is wrong if it doesn't conform. That is until the people decide that it is "cool" or that it is "in" to be different.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 08:26 PM
    I hate to tell you, the latest Samsung Note by all accounts is a sales flop.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 09:15 PM
    The phone needs to be 1/2 inch narrower. I went back to the Passport today and couldn't help but walk it around again to people in the office and show it off. Really folks....these are all BlackBerry users as its standard issue at our company. Nobody wants it as their primary phone. It's too square/wide to fit in your pocket, can't take it to the gym, can't put it in your shorts...it's basically a great Phablet. Nowhere near cool enough to get people to change from Q10 to Passport...too big of a jump. Only those people who already have a personal phone and a corporate issued phone didn't care to replace their Q for passport. My bet is that it's a flop.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-09-14 09:22 PM
213 ... 23456 ...