updated with a video:

OMG,

So I ordered a Passport beginning of Oct, and it has had the following problems..

in a dark room, screen goes to highest brightness and keyboard backlight disappears...
    unable to hard reset (holding both vol +/-), the device gets stuck in a boot loop that shows 'BlackBerry', never reaching the blue square.

Fast forward to today, I receive a brand new replacement.

IT HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS! WTF?
    Last edited by bluetroll; 11-04-14 at 07:29 PM.
    11-04-14 05:59 PM
    I got a replacement device that has the loosest keyboard keys on earth. Dealing with that now. Sometimes BB is great, and other times, not so much.
    11-04-14 06:13 PM
    No wonder they sold 200k, half of them are replacements.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-04-14 06:13 PM
    ... they're supposed to boot loop at that point.

When you see the blackberry logo, let go of the buttons

Passport on Wind
    11-04-14 06:20 PM
    I own a Z10 and Z30, both do not have a boot loop. the both will boot into the blue square
    11-04-14 06:39 PM
    Replacements don't count as sales lol.

And you do let go of the volume keys when you see the red led right? If you don't let go of them it will continue rebooting because you are telling it to hard reset. So it will continue to do it over and over until you let go of the volume keys.

As for the screen. My Z30 does this sometimes. Hit the power button to turn the screen off then hit it again and see if it acts normal. What you're describing is not a hardware issue. It's software and may require BlackBerry to patch it. Be patient. But I feel your pain. I too sometimes wake up my Z30 and get blinded by a full bright screen lol. Hurts the eyeballs.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 06:42 PM
    I've never experienced this on my Z30 or Z10.

I've dealt with BB Support. I've done software resets. installed the latest leak. nothing fixes this issue.

BB has a bunch of lemon Passports.
    11-04-14 06:55 PM
    They sold 200K on the first day. How can half of the first day sales be replacements?
    11-04-14 06:58 PM
    They sold 200K on the first day. How can half of the first day sales be replacements?
    lol. i know. i was just making a point..

anyways... i'll chalk it up to it being a fluke and both devices even though bought a month apart are part of the same batch.

i ordered another passport from shop blackberry. here's to hoping the 3 time is a charm!
    11-04-14 07:05 PM
    This is how the stuff works. You can let go once the screen goes black. Holding the buttons down is like hitting the reset button on your desktop computer. No shutting down windows nothing. Just off and then back on. Holding down the keys will initialize this again if it senses you have them held down for 10 seconds after the buttons have been initialized. Let go of the buttons when the screen turns off.

And as I stated before. This is a software confusion I guarantee it. Brightness is all controlled by software. If it dims and brightens outside by covering the sensor then it's not hardware. Have you tried loading the 10.3.1 leak? Or maybe that's what the issue is if you did.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 07:17 PM
    it doesn't work like that because I own both a Z10 and Z30, they both don't get stuck in a boot cycle.

like I said above, I've updated to latest official .908 and installed the 10.3.1016 leak. nothing has resolved the issue.

believe me, if this wasn't a problem, I wouldn't be wasting my time.
    11-04-14 07:25 PM
    it doesn't work like that because I own both a Z10 and Z30, they both don't get stuck in a boot cycle.

like I said above, I've updated to latest official .908 and installed the 10.3.1016 leak. nothing has resolved the issue.

believe me, if this wasn't a problem, I wouldn't be wasting my time.
    The volume keys don't take you to the boot screen anymore. Just something we have to live with. I don't think it's an issue at all. If you let go, the phone reboots.

VIA CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016 and Official Member of the Peevishlicious Crew
    11-04-14 07:40 PM
    ok then, there's no issue with the hard reset, but i clearly still have an issue with the light sensor!
    11-04-14 07:44 PM
    Yeah, on earlier devices they took you all the way. The passport hardware, being different, will boot loop if you hold down the keys.

Passport on Wind
    EsJayDee likes this.
    11-05-14 12:42 AM
    Such a fitting username...

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    11-05-14 12:57 AM
    What problem ? The light sensor is working as it should from here... the tests are now asking you to put it near a bright light source...

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 12:59 AM
    Funny.
    How do you get to that screen? Could you try that in the home screen?
    11-05-14 02:30 AM
    I don't believe it's the passport but: more that 10.3 has bugs. I have to reboot mine a few times a week for dumb things. Its a new version and will get better in time.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 04:34 AM
    When the keyboard lighting stops working a reboot usually fixes that. Happened two times so far. Of course if you don't know how to reboot properly, it won't work.

Sent from my Q10
    11-05-14 05:18 AM
    What problem ? The light sensor is working as it should from here... the tests are now asking you to put it near a bright light source...

Posted via CB10
    I'm covering the light sensor to simulate a dark room. Look at what it's saying? It says it's under 'sunny' light.

I thought it was software too, but I've done software restores and even loaded 10.3.1 leak. It's still happening.

I just hope the third one I receive doesn't have this problem, otherwise I'm going to switch back to the Z30. I love the Passport, but this problem makes the device usable in the dark.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 06:43 AM
    I'm covering the light sensor to simulate a dark room. Look at what it's saying? It says it's under 'sunny' light.

I thought it was software too, but I've done software restores and even loaded 10.3.1 leak. It's still happening.

I just hope the third one I receive doesn't have this problem, otherwise I'm going to switch back to the Z30. I love the Passport, but this problem makes the device usable in the dark.

Posted via CB10
    who cares if it says "sunny" is it not doing what it's supposed to do?

ie: light up keys and screen when in a dark room (as emulated by you covering the light sensor)
    11-05-14 07:39 AM
    who cares if it says "sunny" is it not doing what it's supposed to do?

ie: light up keys and screen when in a dark room (as emulated by you covering the light sensor)
    He said in a dark room, the screen would go brightest and the keyboard backlight would turn off. That?s the response you would expect when the phone is under sun light.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-05-14 07:52 AM
    He said in a dark room, the screen would go brightest and the keyboard backlight would turn off. That?s the response you would expect when the phone is under sun light.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Thank you... I think some people don't even read the posts.

I'm suprised that nobody else has had this issue. It makes the device unusable in the dark!

I've dealt with BlackBerry Support and they told me to send in the unit.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 08:35 AM
    The proximity sensor is right beside the light sensor. Proximity sensor uses infrared light which can trick the light sensor if it reflects off your finger. This would seem to be an issue with BBVE not the phone. BBVE should turn off the proximity sensor when doing this test. Normally the proximity sensor is only on and being used when on a call or activated by an app where as the light sensor is used almost always unless the device is asleep.

Please try doing a practical test. You are already in a dark room; try shining a flashlight on the sensor. Hope this explains things a bit.
    11-05-14 09:31 AM
    The proximity sensor is right beside the light sensor. Proximity sensor uses infrared light which can trick the light sensor if it reflects off your finger. This would seem to be an issue with BBVE not the phone. BBVE should turn off the proximity sensor when doing this test. Normally the proximity sensor is only on and being used when on a call or activated by an app where as the light sensor is used almost always unless the device is asleep.

Please try doing a practical test. You are already in a dark room; try shining a flashlight on the sensor. Hope this explains things a bit.
    I've stood in a completely dark bathroom with BlackBerry Support on the phone. The issue still exists.

I can't use the device in bed. The screen goes so bright, it burns my retinas!

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 09:34 AM
33 12