06-25-14 11:56 AM
65 123
tools
    nah q10 and q5 and legacy are squares. Passport is different check the close up picks lts jreally juust like a wider z10 and tehy have compacted the ratio to give you best of 1:1 and teh usual mobile ratio. As noted in above post its wider than the note which no one complains about scolling down on.And its long enough to avoid the cramping that the q's have best of both worlds.

This device brings alot of questions. Heck this devices has pretty much made a phablet into the size of a passport.removing the long big frames of sammy and co make with narrow crammed text.This is actually better for reading and typing width wise.

This device may have changed whats the right viewing in mobile.To think LG the screen provider had been sitting on this for quite a while they just didnt shape it this techincally.
    The screen is square. The height is the same as the width.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 05:16 PM
    You cannot letter-box down to 1080p. The primary resolution in 1080p is 1920, not 1080. To maintain the correct aspect ratio you would need to scale to 1440x810.

A much better solution in general for Android apps would be to always request landscape mode and only letter-box if the application does not support it. Requesting landscape mode would allow you to run every Android App full screen.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Would would landscape be different to portrait in a 1440x1440 screen?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 05:18 PM

A much better solution in general for Android apps would be to always request landscape mode and only letter-box if the application does not support it. Requesting landscape mode would allow you to run every Android App full screen.

Sounds good in theory, but what about apps where you need to use the keyboard?

For that you would have to be in landscape mode, turn your phone upright to type, read what your typing sideways, turn your phone back round and send?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 05:46 PM
    Would would landscape be different to portrait in a 1440x1440 screen?

Posted via CB10
    Not landscape the device, landscape the Android application while keeping the device in "portrait" mode, i.e., upright. That way the width becomes the primary resolution allowing you to scale the 1920 application down to 1440. From there the application can simply use whatever available vertical space (relative to the device orientation) it has as normal.

Sounds good in theory, but what about apps where you need to use the keyboard?

For that you would have to be in landscape mode, turn your phone upright to type, read what your typing sideways, turn your phone back round and send?

Posted via CB10
    No, keyboard is always on the bottom in respect to the orientation of the application. I'm not sure what is the issue considering that it would still be at the bottom (relative to the application) if you displayed it in landscape.
    06-23-14 06:13 PM
    You cannot letter-box down to 1080p. The primary resolution in 1080p is 1920, not 1080. To maintain the correct aspect ratio you would need to scale to 1440x810.

That's fair. Hadn't considered the horizontal rez that closely.

What might be cool would be if the OS allowed orientation preferences to be set on a per-app basis.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-23-14 07:48 PM
    That's fair. Hadn't considered the horizontal rez that closely.

What might be cool would be if the OS allowed orientation preferences to be set on a per-app basis.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    That would definitely be very cool. Let the user control the preferred orientation. If you like portrait you get black bars on the sides and the apps running in 810x1440, otherwise you get full-screen landscape mode. Either way the vertical size of the app in portrait would be 3.18" which is only 0.02" smaller than the size of the iPhone 5S and with a higher pixel density at 810x1440 vs. iPhone 5S 640x1136.

Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-23-14 08:14 PM
    Yes. I enjoy reading long bits of text on my Q10 more than I did on my iPhone 5s. It's all about the screen width for me. Text can be larger and still flow nicely.

Posted via CB10
    then wouldn't the iphone5 win? you can just switch it to landscape mode and its wider.
    06-24-14 10:53 AM
    Not landscape the device, landscape the Android application while keeping the device in "portrait" mode, i.e., upright. That way the width becomes the primary resolution allowing you to scale the 1920 application down to 1440. From there the application can simply use whatever available vertical space (relative to the device orientation) it has as normal.
    Hmmm I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 11:37 AM
    Hmmm I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure how to describe it better to be honest. The concept is quite simple. Maybe grab an Android device and play around with it a bit then think about what I said. Regardless, the implementation would work and it would allow running Android apps using the full screen.

06-24-14 11:42 AM
    that's actually brilliant. now allow the keyboard to function as a gamepad! Passport might be a pretty great game console emulation device.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 12:01 PM
    that's actually brilliant. now allow the keyboard to function as a gamepad! Passport might be a pretty great game console emulation device.

Posted via CB10
    Gameboy.
    Qurve likes this.
    06-24-14 12:34 PM
    Well, in case you hadn't noticed, Hasselblad, Rollei, Mamiya, Bronica all built their reputations on cameras that took square pictures. (I have boxes of 6x6 slides and negatives...) There are two obvious reasons:
    1. The camera only needs to be held one way up. (which obviously applies to the BBs as well)
    2. The human eye actually sees a roughly circular picture. (Because we live on a flattish surface, our eyes tend to scan horizontally which is why we adapt quickly to "widescreen", but this doesn't apply when looking at a static object.)

There are all kinds of pseudo-mathematical justifications of the use of rectangles, but the main reason that ISO paper has the dimensions it does is because it allows a series of sheets which double in area at each step but keep the same aspect ratio. A square sheet can only be cut into 4 squares, whereas A1 can be cut in half to get A2, A2 cut in half to get A3, and so on. (There are also mechanical factors which affect printing, but these are complicated and tedious and I won't go there.)

Technically it is cheaper to get a given diagonal of screen if it is a narrow rectangle, and as widescreen is quite a narrow rectangle it isn't surprising that manufacturers have optimised for viewing movies on phones. But for viewing emails or other messages, width is important. Turned on its side, a 16 by 9 screen is too short for good message viewing; vertically it is cramped until you get to phablet sizes.

The Passport has a screen as wide as a Galaxy Note (in fact a little wider) but looks to be physically a bit smaller. For everything communications related it looks like it's going to be at least as good, but for those of us whose eyesight and calloused fingers make touchscreen keyboards a pain, it looks very much better. Smaller than a phablet but with the same effective screen size for messaging, and the same number of pixels (1440*1440 = 1920*1080). I can live with that.

[edit - also the pixel resolution is the same as a QHD screen].
    I think I agree with all you said guess we all need to feel it in hand to fully figure out this 1x1

BlaQberry10
    06-24-14 12:54 PM
    People with vision problems will love this device for browsing and reading. A square screen has 1 distinct advantage and that's to consume documents and webpages containing lots of text in a large font.

Think about it. A 16:9 phone would either be to narrow on portrait, or too short in landscape mode for large font document/web reading.

Differentiate or Die.
    06-25-14 02:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    you can easily test this by using the q10 and see if this will be a great emulating device.
    06-25-14 11:08 AM
    you can easily test this by using the q10 and see if this will be a great emulating device.
    haha, true. I got ahead of myself. so is it? bigger keys might make a considerable difference

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 11:56 AM
65 123