Have we had confirmation that the aspect ratio is 1:1? Screen looks longer than it does wide in the pictures.
    06-22-14 06:59 AM
    I guess 4:3 ratio will encourage users to use it in landscape mode for reading and video playback while the keyboard won't rotate by itself.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:39 AM
    Have we had confirmation that the aspect ratio is 1:1? Screen looks longer than it does wide in the pictures.
    resolution is 1440x1440
    06-22-14 08:13 AM
    Passport looks an awesome device yet I keep thinking on the rationale of the 1x1 screene ratio especially when getting beyond the Q10 screen size? Is it some ergonomics that I don't get?

I think it's not by chance that the rectangular form has evolved and survived over thousands of years when it's about reading text. Golden ratio and golden rectangles are proven standards in page sizes, painting sizes, photography, architecture.

What's with the square?

Q10
    Well, in case you hadn't noticed, Hasselblad, Rollei, Mamiya, Bronica all built their reputations on cameras that took square pictures. (I have boxes of 6x6 slides and negatives...) There are two obvious reasons:
    1. The camera only needs to be held one way up. (which obviously applies to the BBs as well)
    2. The human eye actually sees a roughly circular picture. (Because we live on a flattish surface, our eyes tend to scan horizontally which is why we adapt quickly to "widescreen", but this doesn't apply when looking at a static object.)

There are all kinds of pseudo-mathematical justifications of the use of rectangles, but the main reason that ISO paper has the dimensions it does is because it allows a series of sheets which double in area at each step but keep the same aspect ratio. A square sheet can only be cut into 4 squares, whereas A1 can be cut in half to get A2, A2 cut in half to get A3, and so on. (There are also mechanical factors which affect printing, but these are complicated and tedious and I won't go there.)

Technically it is cheaper to get a given diagonal of screen if it is a narrow rectangle, and as widescreen is quite a narrow rectangle it isn't surprising that manufacturers have optimised for viewing movies on phones. But for viewing emails or other messages, width is important. Turned on its side, a 16 by 9 screen is too short for good message viewing; vertically it is cramped until you get to phablet sizes.

The Passport has a screen as wide as a Galaxy Note (in fact a little wider) but looks to be physically a bit smaller. For everything communications related it looks like it's going to be at least as good, but for those of us whose eyesight and calloused fingers make touchscreen keyboards a pain, it looks very much better. Smaller than a phablet but with the same effective screen size for messaging, and the same number of pixels (1440*1440 = 1920*1080). I can live with that.

[edit - also the pixel resolution is the same as a QHD screen].
    aragone79 and RECOOL like this.
    06-22-14 08:35 AM
    I do a lot of letters, view a lot of PDF files, excel and powerpoint.

Do u guys think the 1x1 screen ratio on the Passport is an advantage is the context above?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:55 AM
    I'm hoping that we can have two 720x1440 apps open side by side.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:03 AM
    I'm hoping that we can have two 720x1440 apps open side by side.

Posted via CB10
    I hope for one to begin with Two is all the better. The ability to run 16x9 apps is a must, as that is the downfall of the small screened Q5/10 1:1 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    06-22-14 09:15 AM
    I think the BlackBerry Passport with a 1:1 screen ratio will be ideal for many professionals, including those in medical/clinical settings. It may be ideal for not only messaging, but also for visualizing reports, x-rays, CAT scans, RCG's, etc.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    06-22-14 09:20 AM
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9

In 2008 the computer industry started switching to 16:9 as the standard aspect ratio for monitors and laptops. A 2008 report by DisplaySearch cited a number of reasons for this shift, including the ability for PC and monitor manufacturers to expand their product ranges by offering products with wider screens and higher resolutions, helping consumers to more easily adopt such products and "stimulating the growth of the notebook PC and LCD monitor market.[5]

In 2011 Bennie Budler, product manager of IT products at Samsung South Africa, confirmed that monitors capable of 1920 x 1200 resolutions aren't being manufactured anymore. It is all about reducing manufacturing costs. The new 16:9 aspect ratio panels are more cost effective to manufacture locally than the previous 16:10 panels.[6] Since computer displays are advertised by their diagonal measure, for monitors with the same display area, a wide screen monitor will have a larger diagonal measure, thus sounding more impressive. Within limits, the amount of information that can be displayed, and the cost of the monitor depend more on area than on diagonal measure.

In March 2011 the 16:9 resolution 1920 x1080 became the most common used resolution among Steam's users. The earlier most common resolution was 1680 x1050 (16:10).[7]

Posted via CB10
    16:10 for life

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:35 AM

Do u guys think the 1x1 screen ratio on the Passport is an advantage is the context above?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I enjoy reading long bits of text on my Q10 more than I did on my iPhone 5s. It's all about the screen width for me. Text can be larger and still flow nicely.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it is. Having a longer screen makes it easier to read any kind of page. Because you just see more of it. I don't get how some people say the text is larger with a sqaure screen, the width of screen typically dictates font size, and the width is unchanged, it just gets longer.

For a ppt presentation, having a 4:3 screen and viewing in landscape would be better. From my experience with ppt, ive never seen or used a square slide.

Mainly my concern is with scrolling lists and feeds. Having a longer screen gives a better view of your list/feed. I get a headache when scrolling quickly down a 1:1 ratio screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:56 PM
    Think how cool the passport would be if the keyboard was screen, giving us more screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 03:28 PM
    Think how cool the passport would be if the keyboard was screen, giving us more screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    You're looking for the z30

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 03:55 PM
    So you can check out the comparative renders here: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=940752

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-22-14 04:41 PM
    The 1:1 aspect ratio is very interesting on the Passport in particular, since it has the resolution to letterbox down to 1080 either way.

If you have a portrait-oriented app (say, pretty much all of the Android catalog, for instance), there's enough room to put the entire app on at 1080 with black bars on either side. If it's landscape oriented, it can be a 1080 letterboxed horizontal. You never have to turn the phone on its side to get a full, high-def landscape.

If it's an AMOLED screen (and I'm hoping it is), those black bars will be TRULY black and will blend in seamlessly with the rest of the handset.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    06-22-14 04:53 PM
    You can have 9 activframes.

Q10
    06-22-14 05:07 PM
    The 1:1 aspect ratio is very interesting on the Passport in particular, since it has the resolution to letterbox down to 1080 either way.

If you have a portrait-oriented app (say, pretty much all of the Android catalog, for instance), there's enough room to put the entire app on at 1080 with black bars on either side. If it's landscape oriented, it can be a 1080 letterboxed horizontal. You never have to turn the phone on its side to get a full, high-def landscape.

If it's an AMOLED screen (and I'm hoping it is), those black bars will be TRULY black and will blend in seamlessly with the rest of the handset.
    I dislike AMOLED tech, but that would be the best reasoning for it. I'd prefer an LCD with local dimming (is that a thing?).

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:28 PM
    Its LCD so instantly in potential purchase. Q10 sucked because of oled lame dim light ,poor white showing mad. WIth 95% of phone handling based on reading ****ty low light Oled is not the option.

Also this not exactly a square. Its a rectangle with with square ratio.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 06-23-14 at 08:46 AM.
    06-23-14 06:21 AM
    I don't think it is. Having a longer screen makes it easier to read any kind of page. Because you just see more of it. I don't get how some people say the text is larger with a sqaure screen, the width of screen typically dictates font size, and the width is unchanged, it just gets longer.

For a ppt presentation, having a 4:3 screen and viewing in landscape would be better. From my experience with ppt, ive never seen or used a square slide.

Mainly my concern is with scrolling lists and feeds. Having a longer screen gives a better view of your list/feed. I get a headache when scrolling quickly down a 1:1 ratio screen.

Posted via CB10
    You do realize that traditional ratio sized phones aren't the same just taller, but the Passport is the one who is WIDER, right?

Think of the iPhone or maybe a Note 3. You have a width of just 640 pixels on the iPhone and 1080 on the Note. Even in landscape mode the iPhone delivers just 1136 pixels width and at the same time very limited height. The Passport in contrast has 1,440 pixels width - always. And the same big amount of height, too. And now combine its width in pixels with its physical width of almost 81 mm - wider than a Note 3. So all in all, compared to a Note 3, you get more physical width combined with more pixel width, in a more portable device, which makes this device kicking a$$ in those disciplines.
    RECOOL likes this.
    06-23-14 07:50 AM
    Attachment 279509
    Attachment 279510

Via The BlackBerry Z10 Experience.
    That's the first picture I've ever seen of the passport and thought 'That looks good'

Even though I'll never be buying qwerty ever again, maybe the passport pictures have all just been photos from bad angles.

Hope it does well but however many it sells I still think a Z50 could of sold more.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:58 AM
    Font?
    06-23-14 09:21 AM
    Its LCD so instantly in potential purchase. Q10 sucked because of oled lame dim light ,poor white showing mad. WIth 95% of phone handling based on reading ****ty low light Oled is not the option.

Huh? Its square.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 09:33 AM
    Huh? Its square.
    Well, a square is a rectangle...
    06-23-14 09:44 AM

You cannot letter-box down to 1080p. The primary resolution in 1080p is 1920, not 1080. To maintain the correct aspect ratio you would need to scale to 1440x810.

A much better solution in general for Android apps would be to always request landscape mode and only letter-box if the application does not support it. Requesting landscape mode would allow you to run every Android App full screen.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-23-14 10:56 AM
    Huh? Its square.

Posted via CB10
    nah q10 and q5 and legacy are squares. Passport is different check the close up picks lts jreally juust like a wider z10 and tehy have compacted the ratio to give you best of 1:1 and teh usual mobile ratio. As noted in above post its wider than the note which no one complains about scolling down on.And its long enough to avoid the cramping that the q's have best of both worlds.

This device brings alot of questions. Heck this devices has pretty much made a phablet into the size of a passport.removing the long big frames of sammy and co make with narrow crammed text.This is actually better for reading and typing width wise.

This device may have changed whats the right viewing in mobile.To think LG the screen provider had been sitting on this for quite a while they just didnt shape it this techincally.
    06-23-14 03:42 PM
65 123