bought this passport last May. everything is doing well with the phone. Right after 1-year factory limited warranty expired this May, it started to have bateery charging problem since 2 weeks ago .

1) when phone is ON, it 's not charging at all,unless i restarted the phone. but recently i have to power OFF the phone then it gets to charge successifully.

2) i always use the BB factory-provided original USB wall charger. When phone is ON, my phone began to fail to recognize the UBS cable/charger,and kept asking me to replace. (see picture attached). i tried other BB chargers. the same situation...

i believe this is software-related issue. as the charging itself(USB port+cable) is still proven to be functioning when the phone is OFF or restarted. but it can't last for a day during the work and i have to charge it in the work.

any comments or suggestions will be grateful....1-year old Passport: serious  charging problem ~!-img_20170727_174044.png
    08-07-17 04:01 PM
    bought this passport last May. everything is doing well with the phone. Right after 1-year factory limited warranty expired this May, it started to have bateery charging problem since 2 weeks ago .

1) when phone is ON, it 's not charging at all,unless i restarted the phone. but recently i have to power OFF the phone then it gets to charge successifully.

2) i always use the BB factory-provided original USB wall charger. When phone is ON, my phone began to fail to recognize the UBS cable/charger,and kept asking me to replace. (see picture attached). i tried other BB chargers. the same situation...

i believe this is software-related issue. as the charging itself(USB port+cable) is still proven to be functioning when the phone is OFF or restarted. but it can't last for a day during the work and i have to charge it in the work.

any comments or suggestions will be grateful....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170727_174044.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	428353

This sounds like hardware, the port might be failing or is very loose
    08-07-17 04:20 PM
    i used other BB original UBS cable/charger to test...the same situation. i can't charge the phone unless it's completely Power OFF.

is it necessary to factory reset the phone to see if it gets back to normal ?
    08-07-17 04:22 PM
    i used other BB original UBS cable/charger to test...the same situation. i can't charge the phone unless it's completely Power OFF.

is it necessary to factory reset the phone to see if it gets back to normal ?
    That would be best bet, if you wiggle plug does it work
    08-07-17 04:29 PM
    Could be a dirty or corroded contact on the USB receptacle causing connection to be intermittent. If you are not experienced with cleaning these, take it to a shop and ask them to clean.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-07-17 04:33 PM
    is there any difference between soft and hard factory reset ?
    08-07-17 04:34 PM
    is there any difference between soft and hard factory reset ?
    Factory is total wipe soft will reinstall everything. Do full back before you do anything
    08-07-17 04:40 PM
    Could be a dirty or corroded contact on the USB receptacle causing connection to be intermittent. If you are not experienced with cleaning these, take it to a shop and ask them to clean.
    Might also be loose (slide in part). Can be fixed but is a complete strip down to remove MB
    08-07-17 04:41 PM
    thanks. i tried to connect my phone to the Blackberry Link program on my computer via the provided USB cable. this phone shows charging after i restarted it but my BB link can't connect to it even it shows on the device list. then i went to the setting of my phone and security swipe it, 1 hour long likely.
    but this didnt give any miracle...T-T
    08-08-17 11:08 AM
    If you are running 10.3.3 OS, Link does not play well with it. Have you tried cleaning the USB receptacle yet?
    08-08-17 12:14 PM
    I've had the same issue regarding charging my Passport. And is due to an issue with the charging port that is failing. But I've not found any charging ports online. Anyone knows where to buy one online? Or if the passport charging por is similar to any other BlackBerry devices? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-17 02:35 PM

any comments or suggestions will be grateful....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170727_174044.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	428353
    I always worried about this as on all my passports, they always seems to get looser then when new however never had an issue. I use PowerClock to if It came lose and went back in id notice asap as Power clock (by David II) which pops up as an option to click auto if wanted automatically when plugging in or UN-plugging so my fingers are crossed. I hope you work your situation out. Sorry to hear......

Posted via CB10
    08-13-17 03:27 PM
    I have a situation something like this with the first Passport I bought. In my case, I knocked my device around too often while plugged in, like off the desk and onto the floor, over the course of several months. Eventually, cable fit loosened up enough that I was having trouble with cable recognition, just as the OP is experiencing.

The problem became serious enough, after the phone was out of warranty, that I called a local repair shop. After some research, the tech told me that the plug port is part of the motherboard, not a separate part. If correct, that would explain why no replacement part can be found.

On the other hand, he also said that plug failure, just on the basis of my low-grade abuse, should be rare. He's probably right: close examination shows wear of the plastic outer rim around the port opening. He/I could probably apply some putty and rebuild the missing layer of trim that could help hold the cable more firmly.

Meanwhile, with a new or lightly used USB cable, I usually can find some angle at which the phone can work for backup and charge. My other, more frequently used remedy is wireless charging, which I am fortunate to have available because my PP is an AT&T model. Thus I really only have to worry about my USB problem when using BlackBerry Link. Not surprisingly, I made a point to get another AT&T Passport when I decided I wanted a spare device.

Anyway I hope there's some assistance somewhere in my long post. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-17 10:19 PM
    I've had the same issue regarding charging my Passport. And is due to an issue with the charging port that is failing. But I've not found any charging ports online. Anyone knows where to buy one online? Or if the passport charging por is similar to any other BlackBerry devices? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Ports are part of the MB. The port can be repaired though, you will have to remove the MB and tighten the port. This is done with a very small tool. If you need further info please contact me.
    08-14-17 09:40 PM
    Yes I need more help. Do you have any video posted in youtube where I can watch how to repair it?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-17 04:19 PM
    Ports are part of the MB. The port can be repaired though, you will have to remove the MB and tighten the port. This is done with a very small tool. If you need further info please contact me.
    Yes I need more help. Do you have any video posted in youtube where I can watch how to repair it?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-17 04:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Video but I will take you through it, also you can contact me via private mail and I will send you a contact number to talk you through or if you need help.

First these directions are for a silver version but the black is close. I am going to give you the video link as well that has been posted to help.

For the black version :

For the silver edition you will need to do the following.

1. remove the sim cover, sim card and if used memory card.
    2. remove the three torx screws that hold on the back. These consist of two in each corner (same length) and a middle one that is shorter. The left corner will be covered with a black sticker. (if the phone has never been opened)
    3. Once the screws are out gently start to pry the back off. A very thin shim will be very helpful. work your way around. The bottom can be a little tight. Do not force the back as it will easily crack.
    4. Once removed you will be looking at the battery speakers and MB.
    5. Remove the battery very slowly by gently prying from one corner and work your way around. ( the battery connector is help in with another torx screw. Same size as the middle cover screw). One the screw is removed use a non metallic device (pry) to pop up the connector.
    ***********Important NOTE USE ONLY A NON METALLIC DEVICE to pry up all connectors on the MB. The board can hold a charge and a short and damage to the MB can happen.
    6. Once the battery is removed unsnap all the other connectors (again non metallic).
    7.Remove the speakers at the bottom of the unit. these are held in with 5 screws.
    8.Now that the battery and the speakers are removed its time to remove the MB. You will see screws holding in the side of the MB. Remove these and remember where they go. Size again matters.
    9.Once removed gently pull up on the MB from the top first. The USB power connector fits into the bottom. Watch how it comes out as it goes in the same way. Look at the connector. You will see very small wings on the side. Very gently squeeze them just hair. It does not take much. Then gently squeeze top to bottom of the connector. Again very little. Test the cable for tightness.

Hope it helps.
    DreadPirateRegan and dmlis like this.
    08-15-17 05:10 PM
    I have the same situation , not even one year passport, recently unable to recognise my cable when I try to blend it or link it on my laptop, it seems after 10.3.3 the connection is unstable.

Post via my BlackBerry Passport
    08-15-17 08:04 PM
    Thus I really only have to worry about my USB problem when using BlackBerry Link.

Posted via CB10
    Ok so BlackBerry link still works? Will it work on a mac?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-17 08:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    If the hardware issue doesn't work for Windows it would be dead for Mac as well.
    08-16-17 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not to sidetrack the charging discussion to talk about Link, but no I personally have not gotten Link to work beyond Yosemite. Fortunately, I have still have Macs running that OS, and even Lion, which is what I have on the Mac I am using for Link backups right now.
    08-16-17 10:13 PM