Quite a few of the reviews out there are slamming the passport for being "too big" in the hands and it "gets in the way" and must use 2 hands.

DO NOT believe these reviews until you have tried the device yourself.

First let me declare that my daily driver is a Q10. Which is a small device. I had the change to play with the passport in person this afternoon at my country's launch event.

At first my impression was the phone is huge but once I had it in my hands and starting navigating and typing I knew immediately that I could get used to it very quickly.

I thoroughly tested the passport from putting it in my slim jeans pocket, walking around, taking it out of my jeans pocket, tapping on the phone app and making/answering a phone call and although it takes getting used to, it's completely manageable, all with a single hand.

I have slightly larger than average sized hands for an Asian and about 5"10 in height, so on a global scale ill consider myself dead on average.

When navigating though apps or typing you'd obviously be using 2 hands anyway just like the apple iPhone + and samsung note 2/3/4 which will or has sold in 10s of millions, it's the same case here.

I can't stand that reviewers put down the blackberry passport for being large and say only good things about large samsung/apple phones.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:46 AM
    Good point Jo! Agree with you

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    09-25-14 06:50 AM
    Hey The Big Picture,
    I agree with you on many points... I think that it is way too early to to judge the Passport by the reviews being made so far, because:
    1)The Passport is being reviewed by many 'Early Majority' type consumers. They care about 'looks' and what others will think. They are completely used to an iPhone, Samsung and have probably always used the slim design phones we've become accustomed to over the past 8 years. They're the type that will LOVE if/when this form factor becomes common place.
    2) Most of the reviewers are not part of the target market that BlackBerry seems to be after. Those people don't have time to buy a phone at launch, do an unboxing, use the device for a month, write their reviews and respond to questions. They are already too busy for that - which is why they need that type of device.
    3) Like mentioned above, we have become accustomed to slim form phones... a wide phone with an innovative keyboard will most likely never be accepted by everyone in the beginning. It too will have to go through the stages of innovators, early adopters, early majority before most people will accept it as the common way of doing things.
    4) A lot of reviewers are also trying to 'sell' their columns/blogs so they have to be funny, ironing, critical... it's kind of like a food critic - they can't write rave reviews of everything they eat.

So, that being said, I think that we have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. There is a great feed on Crackberry that shows how things can change over the course of a week+ of use - he basically started off VERY apprehensive and the lasts posts I saw he loved the device.

That's my two cents.

See ya!
    09-25-14 07:12 AM
    They said the Note was too big when it first got released too. Just saying.

Posted via CB10 ? PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052
    Steelsheen likes this.
    09-25-14 07:22 AM
    They said the Note was too big when it first got released too. Just saying.

Posted via CB10 ? PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052
    But this is even bigger than that. Lol.
    09-25-14 07:48 AM
    I haven't held one but it's hard for me to use my Z30 one handed for things. I can't imagine I could do much on the passport one handed but I don't one hand much anyway.
    09-25-14 07:51 AM
    Note is taller than passport. Not wider. I find passport the correct balance for a big phone. Too tall like a note it becomes hard to handle.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:03 AM
    Smaller, actually. The area of the Note 4 is about 18.5 square inches. The Passport is 17.5.
    lang007 likes this.
    09-25-14 09:31 AM
    Not sure about the area, but the note 4 is already a 5.7inch screen... very very close to 6
    lang007 likes this.
    09-25-14 10:07 AM
    Good job for pointing it out! I can't wait to try it for myself!

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    09-25-14 10:12 AM
    So the fad now is you MUST be able to use your phone with one hand or it is to big? So if your phone does not have instagram or you can't use one hand you phone is crap? They just do not want to give BB a chance because they are afraid.
    09-25-14 10:15 AM
    One-handed operation is one thing; one-handed typing is something else. There are times when I just want to wake up my Q10 and check the weather, maybe while carrying something in the other hand. Or maybe I want to open the music app; or pause a podcast. These are all things I can easily do with one hand on my Q10. I suspect they'll be just as doable on my Passport, when I get it. If they're not, I'll be disappointed.

One-handed typing is something I rarely do, and it isn't a priority for me. If I really need to send a message and I only have one hand to operate the phone, I'll use voice recognition instead of one-handed typing. I did the same on Android with the S4. One-handed typing is so slow and laborious I just try to avoid it. For me at least, one-handed typing is at the bottom of my priority list for a smartphone.
    lang007 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-25-14 10:22 AM
    One-handed operation is one thing; one-handed typing is something else. There are times when I just want to wake up my Q10 and check the weather, maybe while carrying something in the other hand. Or maybe I want to open the music app; or pause a podcast. These are all things I can easily do with one hand on my Q10. I suspect they'll be just as doable on my Passport, when I get it. If they're not, I'll be disappointed.

One-handed typing is something I rarely do, and it isn't a priority for me. If I really need to send a message and I only have one hand to operate the phone, I'll use voice recognition instead of one-handed typing. I did the same on Android with the S4. One-handed typing is so slow and laborious I just try to avoid it. For me at least, one-handed typing is at the bottom of my priority list for a smartphone.
    I have the same expectations as you. Mark my words and get back to me when you've tried the device.

Sure you can't reach the opposing far end of the screen with your thumb while gripping the phone but you can manage by placing frequently used apps in a reachable spot.

All I'm saying that the passport maybe large but it's entirely manageable and I believe users like you and me will not find it "impossibly large"

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 09-25-14 at 12:52 PM.
    09-25-14 12:41 PM
    Q10nutter, show me a picture of your hands!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:57 PM
    When I do get my Passport I will more likely use it with 2 hands. The logic being that it will be used for mostly emails and other work related tasks.

My Z10 with the extended battery will be used for mostly calls and sms.

At work, if it's an urgent matter I will get a call which I could answer most of the time. Emails can wait a little longer until I can sit down and reply (obviously do not try and email when driving).

One handed passport probably not, but it will fit the bill nicely in a corporate environment.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:13 PM

Well, the Passport can be used one-handed in a pinch:

Please keep these very important points in mind:
    1. This is in-store with a cage and cable making the phone even more bulky.
    2. I have tiny hands (my fingers don't reach the end of my size M gloves).
    3. I use a Z10, so the lack of typing skill in the video is not the fault of the phone, just me getting used to the QWERTY again. Flicking seems to be best done with the very tip of the finger as it forces me to start from lower down on the keyboard.
    09-25-14 01:29 PM
    Q10nutter, show me a picture of your hands!

Posted via CB10
    Here you go! ;-)
    1 or 2 hands for passport?-img_20140925_152716.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:52 PM
    I just got it this morning, but I don't see what all the controversy is about. You can definitely use it one handed to check email, browse apps, etc... one handed typing is a challenge, but I can use it in one hand without major issue. I don't think enough gets said about web browsing with it, especially if you read a lot, the square screen is fantastic for that. I'd always have to use the "reader" functionality on the Z30.
    09-25-14 01:59 PM
    I agree.

Most things can be done one handed without issue. I can type one handed if I need to, it just feels more comfortable to type with 2 hands.

Navigation, open and close applications can all be done one handed without issue.

My hands are not huge, but I suspect people with small hands will have an issue with one handed use.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 02:16 PM
    It is a different shape and may feel strange at first but after a few minutes you get used to it and then really appreciate the gigantic screen and awesome keyboard.
    I have no problem using with one hand as well for everything except typing out emails.

but I need 2 hand on my old Samsung note 3 as well, so as the OP said, I don't see why all the reviewers keep complaining

bottom line, it's a great phone.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-25-14 03:52 PM