Apparently most of the rest of the world follows the US when it comes to technology. So if Blackberry wants to make it in the rest of the world then they should be focusing in the US. Sales trends of Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Blackberry of the last decade or two are clear indicators of that.
    menshawy likes this.
    11-13-14 06:56 AM
    Based on these numbers, does it mean there's a total of around 15 million used devices in the world running BB10?

Apparently most of the rest of the world follows the US when it comes to technology. So if Blackberry wants to make it in the rest of the world then they should be focusing in the US. Sales trends of Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Blackberry of the last decade or two are clear indicators of that.
    Totally agreed! but to get to this, they have to have full operators' cooperation. And maybe the government has to not mind it lol
    11-13-14 07:54 AM
    Here is an interview with John Chen for Financial Post: BlackBerry Ltd on ?cusp? of profitability, but John Chen still sees work to be done | Financial Post

He talked about service access fee revenue decline and this followed:

Q: Is that why you�re keeping the initial sales of the Passport limited?
    A: That�s probably one aspect of it. But at a certain point in time, if I keep doing that, it will miss the market. There�s a lot of balancing to do, a lot of tough decisions that have been made, that still need to be made.

Interesting point indeed.
    Of course. All new phones are like this. They do not produce enough to satisfy everyone at launch. They could get much closer to that if they wanted to but the devices would not be sought after if everyone could just walk in and get one. Supply and Demand basics. Also, they produce enough for the early adopters to get enough and beta test the devices for them. Then they can tweak their manufacturing process to fix some issues and start work on software updates.
    11-13-14 08:00 AM
    Based on these numbers, does it mean there's a total of around 15 million used devices in the world running BB10?
    basically yes which I dnot believe at all. I think they are around 10-11 million meaning you are around 400k which I do agree is a much closer to truth number
    11-13-14 08:12 AM
    Okay, but BlackBerry seemed to do all it could to keep the Z30 a secret... even after it became available. I can't remember seeing a single promotion of the device anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. That, and as somebody else said, it came out when they wanted to sell the company. Who would buy it?
    Another interesting aspect of these stats is the failure of the low end Z3 and Q5 devices.
    Z10 was the most advertised and the most discounted of the BB10 devices.
    Z30, the best device they have made before the PP, and much better than Z10, was not advertised and still expensive.
    11-13-14 08:28 AM
    Yes. That, and as somebody else said, it came out when they wanted to sell the company. Who would buy it?
    Another interesting aspect of these stats is the failure of the low end Z3 and Q5 devices.
    Z30, the best device they have made before the PP, and much better than Z10, was not advertised and still expensive.
    I wouldn't call the Z3 a failure just yet, is it even available in the bigger markets yet?

Q5 I wouldn't even call low end, it launched at $350, was never going to sell, plus it looked pretty ugly.

Z30 I agree, I own one and it's brilliant, if Blackberry had launched with a Z10 and a Z30 along with the Q10 all running 10.2 I think by now we'd all be talking about how they did so well to turn it around so quick.

Posted via CB10
    Coraya likes this.
    11-13-14 08:48 AM
    I wouldn't call the Z3 a failure just yet, is it even available in the bigger markets yet?

Q5 I wouldn't even call low end, it launched at $350, was never going to sell, plus it looked pretty ugly.

Z30 I agree, I own one and it's brilliant, if Blackberry had launched with a Z10 and a Z30 along with the Q10 all running 10.2 I think by now we'd all be talking about how they did so well to turn it around so quick.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're right about the Z series. In my opinion if they had released the Z10 and Z30 together, consumers would have had an option between two full touch devices. There was only one physical keyboard device available. Costumers like options. I think it's important that they would have seen two full tough BlackBerry 10 devices next to eachother. Good insight by you.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-13-14 08:55 AM
    I live in the US, and as the Passport isn't available here.... so of course I still haven't seen an advertisement, I haven't seen a news article (that CrackBerry didn't link too first).

Just wonder in markets where the Passport is available.... does the average person have any way to know about it? Now a couple months after launch where are the displays in the stores? Do the carriers have any posters? Have you seen a print ad or tv ad in person (not a forum post or you tube link)?

My gut says there aren't nearly that many sold, as I doubt BlackBerry could increases material orders and production that quickly.... And it seems that this new batch of inventory has caught up to the demand. Think the Passport sales will follow many of the other BB10 devices... huge initial demand from the loyal (but shrinking) fan base, and they sales will taper off to a slow trickle.
    dolco likes this.
    11-13-14 08:56 AM
    Hopefully it's inaccurate. That's not a lot in sales in the grand scheme of things. Blackberry used to sell much more than that. I'm not going to throw out numbers without source backing but I'm sure they've done a million in launch month years ago.

BlackBerry themselves projected only 240k sales for the Passport for calendar Q4. Anything they sold above that is a very good thing.

If this number is accurate then they sold enough Passports to actually make a profit overall for the quarter.
    11-13-14 09:50 AM
    If blackberry has sold only 700,000 after a worldwide release, it's scary. But this is my opinion. What do I know?

I agree, considering that the Note 4, a much more expensive phone, sold over 5 millions units in the first month of release
    11-13-14 09:59 AM
    I agree, considering that the Note 4, a much more expensive phone, sold over 5 millions units in the first month of release
    The Passport isn't about marketshare. It's about keeping the company functioning, and to do that they have to make a profit. And that is really what Chen is focused on, is making money. Right now he can't afford to worried about if they are number 10 in sales volume or number 100, compared to other OEMs.

But you are right, the Passport isn't doing anything to really improve BlackBerry's marketshare. In the time frame they sold that extra 300K Passports, I "imagine" another 500K BBOS users moved on to another platform. And of those that bought the Passport, I bet the vast majority own a functioning BlackBerry already.
    11-13-14 10:29 AM
    Well, I know for sure that 20k* Passports with a red color to them will be sold on November 28th.

* except for that number is a rumor too
    11-13-14 01:49 PM
    IMO, For BlackBerry at the moment, the volume of devices sold is not nearly as important as the price point of the ones that have been sold.
    Consider the US Market, they are benefiting greatly right now because they are selling phones at full price. Not nearly as many as if they were subsidized by AT&T, but probably works out well for them nonetheless.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-13-14 02:21 PM
    The Z3 had a 5" qHD screen - that is not good enough and does not measure up to phones like the Moto G. The Q5 is not nearly as good looking as the Q10, Passport, and soon to be released Classic plus all 3 phones kill it on specs.

The Z10 was a decent device - the only weaknesses were the ecosystem/apps and battery life. The Z30 was a great device - the only thing it should have had was a 1080p screen - otherwise it was a great phone with awesome battery, top end antenna, solid camera, and fast browser.

I think the 2015 hero touchscreen device from BlackBerry will be a real winner after seeing what they were capable of with the Z30 and how improved it was over the Z10 (which was a okay device in its own right).

Keep in mind how Apple got it right the 3rd time around with the 3GS. Samsung's 2009 Android devices (Galaxy, Moment, Behold 2, etc.) and 2010 (Galaxy S and all of its configurations Memorize, Captivate, Droid Charge, etc.) all had issues - but they got it right in 2011 with the Galaxy S II.
    11-13-14 05:38 PM
    The Passport isn't about marketshare. It's about keeping the company functioning, and to do that they have to make a profit. And that is really what Chen is focused on, is making money. Right now he can't afford to worried about if they are number 10 in sales volume or number 100, compared to other OEMs.

But you are right, the Passport isn't doing anything to really improve BlackBerry's marketshare. In the time frame they sold that extra 300K Passports, I "imagine" another 500K BBOS users moved on to another platform. And of those that bought the Passport, I bet the vast majority own a functioning BlackBerry already.
    It's hard to say if there's still a net loss of users. Presumably, if BlackBerry can continue to grow BB10 sales this will eventually be addressed.

In any event, the Passport was never intended to be a high-volume phone anyway. That's the Z3 mission.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome PASSPORT(!) 2BDDB50E
    11-13-14 05:38 PM
    I am willing to bet that the majority of passports are right here in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:53 PM
    Am I confused or are we basing sales numbers on the downloads of a random app?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 08:23 PM
    That's not a very concise way to estimate actual devices. App world records each app download as a new one even if it is the same device re-downloading the app. If anything, this method will often inflate the actual number of unique devices
    11-13-14 09:20 PM
    Many people are over estimating Passport sales. There is no way they could have sold 600k units. At the beginning of yesterday's conference, JC said about "some of you people are more optimistic referring to Passport's launch ", that is a clear sign.

My best guess would be between 300k and 350k.

Wonder if they will disclose Passport sales or club them with total units and leave it for speculation in december.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 10:27 PM
    My best guess would be between 300k and 350k.

Wonder if they will disclose Passport sales or club them with total units and leave it for speculation in december.
    They don't and won't report unit sales unless the numbers are exceptionally good. The demand must have tapered off by now because BlackBerry hasn't disclosed any Passport figures since opening week.
    11-13-14 10:43 PM
    I live in the US, and as the Passport isn't available here.... so of course I still haven't seen an advertisement, I haven't seen a news article (that CrackBerry didn't link too first).

Just wonder in markets where the Passport is available.... does the average person have any way to know about it? Now a couple months after launch where are the displays in the stores? Do the carriers have any posters? Have you seen a print ad or tv ad in person (not a forum post or you tube link)?

My gut says there aren't nearly that many sold, as I doubt BlackBerry could increases material orders and production that quickly.... And it seems that this new batch of inventory has caught up to the demand. Think the Passport sales will follow many of the other BB10 devices... huge initial demand from the loyal (but shrinking) fan base, and they sales will taper off to a slow trickle.
    Very likely. It seems that more PlayBooks have been sold than any individual BB10 devices with perhaps the exception of the Z10.
    11-13-14 11:34 PM
    Check out my post Where are all the passports?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 08:59 AM
    Agreed. Z30 is solid. Passport level specs, battery upgrade and HD screen would make the Z30 a beast.
    11-18-14 11:55 AM
    I really don't think they sold anything close to 600k I would be surprised if they sold 300k !!!

As a shareholder I really hope they did. But sadly reality is closer to 200k to 300k

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 05:31 PM
74 123