Hopefully it's inaccurate. That's not a lot in sales in the grand scheme of things. Blackberry used to sell much more than that. I'm not going to throw out numbers without source backing but I'm sure they've done a million in launch month years ago.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    The numbers are coming from one app developer and his sales volumes.
    11-12-14 09:20 AM
    Remember that there isn't any carrier selling the passport in the U.S. yet. So most of these sales are from us who bought the device outright. So that # is pretty impressive. Plus they underestimated the demand at Launch and the phone wasn't really available for most of october.

Posted via CB10
    Remember that there is a much bigger world out there outside of the U.S.... especially for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 09:57 AM
    I think I remember reading that they only expected to sell 400k by EOY. If so, they are on track to double that - which is stellar news.

Still easy to see that they are selling far more Passports then expected for a niche device.
    11-12-14 10:42 AM
    Remember that there is a much bigger world out there outside of the U.S.... especially for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    That is correct but the US holds 1st place in consumer spending. It's disappointing that of 350 million people less than 1 million have purchased the passport so far. I want blackberry to do well here in the US, Canada, India, caves of Europe and Uzbekistan. Every country matters. If blackberry has sold only 700,000 after a worldwide release, it's scary. But this is my opinion. What do I know?

sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-12-14 10:53 AM
    Just a speculation tomorrow we'll know more about this

Posted via CB10
    RubenDM likes this.
    11-12-14 10:56 AM
    Really?? The Z10 may be at 50%, but the Z30 has only done 8.4%. If I were Chen, that wouldn't prompt me to sink a ton into R&D for a new all touch phone.
    Maybe BlackBerry releasing the Z30 while nearly selling the company had something to do with it...

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 10:56 AM
    It comes down to is the device profitable... in the long run that is all that matters... would it be great if they sold 10 million would be fantastic but lets get real... BB has to work towards making sure that whatever they do they turn a profit... as Chen has already said 250,000 units is break even.... the Passport is therefore a success.. maybe not by Apple or Sammy standards but a profit non the less.... As more and more media are discovering... BB really can not be judged on Hardware alone... as it moves more and more to software and service revenue... hardware will come less important.... so this constant measuring to the consumer market is just a waste of time... would be interested to know if enterprise sales are tallied into all of this.... seeing as most of initial sales seem to come from the consumer market ( amazom and shoblackberry ) the number may be higher.....
    11-12-14 11:14 AM
    Until the American carriers show real support by making the phones available and doing timely updates the phones will appear to be a failure in the U.S. Making the phone available by direct purchasing is great but they need to find a way to get carriers carrying the phone without having months go by following the launch. The Z10 was delayed till March 22 following its launch and AT&T failed to carry the Z30. With T-M currently out of the picture it is up to the other 2 to do something positive. I don't think Sprint even comes in to the current BB picture. 600,000 is a good number consider how it was back ordered for so many days/weeks and no carrier involvement
    11-12-14 11:22 AM
    Hopefully it's inaccurate. That's not a lot in sales in the grand scheme of things. Blackberry used to sell much more than that. I'm not going to throw out numbers without source backing but I'm sure they've done a million in launch month years ago.

If true. I think this a great number - Remember, this phone was not even targeting consumers at all and if these numbers are accurate it would seem many consumers have bought in.
    11-12-14 12:21 PM
    Let's not say an all new design, but maybe a simple upgrade like they used to do a few years ago. Bold 9000>9700>9780>9790/99xx. Every year they were releasing something whether it was all new or not. An upgraded Z30 with better specs and screen? Would people not buy it? Marketing. It's all about marketing. It works.

Ummm no, as in the past, they would get shredded by the press, "technical analysts" and Crackberry members for re-hashing and upgrading old devices.
    11-12-14 12:28 PM
    There is nothing wrong with updating the z30. As long as it is significant.

Easiest thing to do is simply put the passport internals into it and give it a full HD screen.

Posted via CB10
    tanzarian likes this.
    11-12-14 12:35 PM
    If the figure is correct these are good news for BlackBerry.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    tanzarian likes this.
    11-12-14 12:55 PM
    I contributed +2 to those sales figures and I am proudly preaching the Blackberry name wherever I go.
    11-12-14 02:33 PM
    Funny how first and last sentences disagree. Sold! =activated. There's a big difference.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:15 PM
    Funny how first and last sentences disagree. Sold! =activated. There's a big difference.

Posted via CB10
    Does it matter as much if it's activated? Sales are sales. If you sell a car and the customer never drives it, does it count as a sale? Pretty sure it does!

11-12-14 04:49 PM
    If true. I think this a great number - Remember, this phone was not even targeting consumers at all and if these numbers are accurate it would seem many consumers have bought in.
    I think so as well and if that's the case then the majority of the sales will be be follow up from sale to corporations.
    11-12-14 06:17 PM
    Here is an interview with John Chen for Financial Post: http://business.financialpost.com/fp..._lsa=a5fd-7863

He talked about service access fee revenue decline and this followed:

Q: Is that why you’re keeping the initial sales of the Passport limited?
    A: That’s probably one aspect of it. But at a certain point in time, if I keep doing that, it will miss the market. There’s a lot of balancing to do, a lot of tough decisions that have been made, that still need to be made.

Interesting point indeed.
    11-12-14 07:08 PM

Considering they only predicted they would sell 450k by the end of the year, 600k already is great.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 07:54 PM
    Does it matter as much if it's activated? Sales are sales. If you sell a car and the customer never drives it, does it count as a sale? Pretty sure it does!

Yes. Because Sales > activations. "Sales" can be the sales channel (ie, to the stores and distributors), or sold to end users.

Order of highest:
    1. Quantity sold to distributors, channels, direct sales.
    2. Quantity actually sold to end users and business users and not inventory sitting on store shelves waiting to be sold.
    3. Quantity taken out of the box and activated (ie, Christmas gifts and future presents would not be included)

So if you're trying to advertise a big number, you go with 1. If you are trying to show a guaranteed number, go with 3.

Big difference.
    eyesopen1111 and jmr1015 like this.
    11-12-14 11:45 PM
    Really?? The Z10 may be at 50%, but the Z30 has only done 8.4%. If I were Chen, that wouldn't prompt me to sink a ton into R&D for a new all touch phone.
    Okay, but BlackBerry seemed to do all it could to keep the Z30 a secret... even after it became available. I can't remember seeing a single promotion of the device anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 12:02 AM
    I'd say that anything over 500 000 before the holidays and into January, when a lot of people are buying phones, would be great.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 12:40 AM
    This is nice a nice pie chart showing all the BlackBerry devices out there so it means I'm in the 9% slice of BlackBerry fans.

Wish I was in that 4% but just have to work a little harder to have it!
    0.6 million passports sold? {speculated}-oct2014devices.png

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    11-13-14 01:31 AM
    This is nice a nice pie chart showing all the BlackBerry devices out there so it means I'm in the 9% slice of BlackBerry fans.

Wish I was in that 4% but just have to work a little harder to have it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oct2014Devices.png 
Views:	1000 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	314044

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    This graph is not showing devices out.
    "All of these statistics are based off of the data collected by BlackBerry World in the month of October for downloads of the free check-list app Stuff I Need..." Popularity of BlackBerry 10 phones | Ebscer News
    That means that new models has higher numbers of download than rest models. There is less than 4.1% passport out.
    Last edited by dolco; 11-13-14 at 05:54 AM.
    11-13-14 05:41 AM
    I can see where your coming from but remember when BB10 first launched and it took a whole quarter of total BB10 sales to sell just 0.7 million.
    Got a source for that?
    11-13-14 05:54 AM
    Got a source for that?
    he wont find one lol....we all know they accounted 1 million sold in the first month
    11-13-14 06:56 AM
74 123