Other than build quality and style, are the 9981,82,83 better phones than their normally priced counterpart? I don't mind paying for style, but at these prices I would hope that the actual phone was better as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    03-19-16 09:36 PM
    Larger flash memory, and possibly better camera lense glass were the only real differences. The build quality and material, of course. Slightly different keyboard, a Prosche "theme" -- icons, wallpaper and ringtones. That's about it.

Is the difference worth the cost difference? To some, certainly.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-19-16 10:11 PM
    very fascinating
    03-19-16 10:34 PM
    If you're agonizing over the price of a 9983 you won't likely be able to afford a Vertu. Also,the PD quality is awesome compared to other BlackBerry devices and is my daily driver because it's functionally a great size and bulletproof. No lifting screens, squeaky backs or tool belts that creak, uneven lighting etc. The kb is the best BlackBerry has ever made imo. The style is unique even in 2016 and gets requests from people to play with it. If you want something built the way BlackBerry used to build them I recommend this phone. For the price of a well maintained used one it's cheaper than a new priv and a little more than a SE. True it basically is a Classic with more memory in terms of specs but if you want a stylish, rugged communication device I would get it. If you are looking for a media device go to Android or Apple. Finally I would get a graphite over the steel. The graphite is more elegant imo. Hope this helps.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-20-16 10:32 AM
    That's what I did. The SE was a great device but found it far too cumbersome for daily use. The PD is more pocket/jacket friendly. I got tired trying to manage the size of carrying a tablet.
    03-20-16 06:13 PM
    ...also, realistically the SE can't replace a tablet or computer at the end of the day.
    03-20-16 06:15 PM
    ...PD quality is awesome compared to other BlackBerry devices and is my daily driver because it's functionally a great size and bulletproof. No lifting screens, squeaky backs or tool belts that creak, uneven lighting etc. The kb is the best BlackBerry has ever made imo. The style is unique even in 2016 and gets requests from people to play with it...
    The quality build aspect is an undeniable point. I had two Q10's - the battery door never sat tight - there was always some movement. Double-letter typing on the Q10 (soft- or hardware issue - will we ever know?). My first Passport lost the majority of its logo after about four months' use. The V1 Passport with whitening halo on the back and the lifting screen. The silver paint on the plastic bezel chin of the SE Passport, Z30 and Classic that peals or crackles off. Keyboard that light up unequally (or not at all)... These are some of the quality issues that BlackBerry 10 users face. P'9983 users don't seem to bring issues such as these on forums.

I would add IMHO that these quality issues are, from my point of view, not all acceptable given that we are talking about flagship and high-market-end BlackBerry devices.
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    07-07-16 01:02 PM
    I agree for the most part. The PD silver paint will chip off the bottom so be careful with that edition. The graphite isn't so bad because the paint is black. The graphite leather is very delicate however and cannot take any abuse whatsoever.
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    07-07-16 01:11 PM
    I agree for the most part. The PD silver paint will chip off the bottom so be careful with that edition. The graphite isn't so bad because the paint is black. The graphite leather is very delicate however and cannot take any abuse whatsoever.
    I didn't know about the chipping paint on the silver P'9983... I can imagine the leather battery door is delicate. All in all, the P'9983 is not a phone made to be used on a construction site. I keep mine in its leather sleeve when I'm not using it.

To be honest, all sophisticated mobile devices require a minimum of respect and care.
    07-07-16 04:28 PM
    The silver is fine in the leather oem pd pouch but not the graphite. The pouch will ruin the leather door. I have mine in a suit jacket and it's still at risk due to the delicate nature of both devices for different reasons.
    07-07-16 04:37 PM
    Absolutely agree with what has been said here.

The PDs are rather low profile when it comes to quality issues. The 9981 was known to have the nuking problem of the Bold though.Also, the plastic antenna cover on the 9981 and 9982 can become a little loose over the life time of the device considering you will likely have a few drops here and there.

The 9982 and 9983 both have the problem of the pouch staining the battery door, although they will get replaced by PD on warranty. The paint chipping is exclusive to the silver 9983 in my experience, granted the black 9981 or 9982 were solid blacks without a silver stripe all around.

Overall, the Porsche phones blow regular BlackBerrys out of the water when it comes to fit and finish, material feel and general solidity. I have a feeling that BlackBerrys quality tanked with the introduction of BB10. My easily scratched Q10 with a loose battery door as well as my black Passport with lifted display but without working speakers and microphone serve as proof.
    07-08-16 03:45 AM
    The silver is fine in the leather oem pd pouch but not the graphite. The pouch will ruin the leather door. I have mine in a suit jacket and it's still at risk due to the delicate nature of both devices for different reasons.
    What do mean by "ruin"? What happens? I've been using the pouch and have noticed nothing - yet...
    07-10-16 03:35 AM
    What do mean by "ruin"? What happens? I've been using the pouch and have noticed nothing - yet...
    The pouch is too tight causing friction on the delicate leather which degrades it over time. It was designed for the carbon fiber not the graphite device according to PD and BlackBerry and experienced by myself and 2 other users I know of.
    07-10-16 11:33 AM
    I keep mines naked. It's a beautiful phone! I got it in 9/10 condition on ebay for 475 bucks free shipping *party*

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 10:51 AM