I've been a loyal Blackberry user for as long as I can remember. I've begun my journey with the blue 6230. I've used every bold so far, a couple torchs, curves, storms etc. I finally got the 9981 last february. And the black 9981 last week.

For as long as I can remember RIM has been a user friendly company. But not anymore. Beginning with the 9900 red light fiasco, RIM has been punishing early adopters. With all the time I've spent upgrading, erasing, messing etc. the OS, I could've done much more valuable things. 9981 is supposed to be the best blackberry there is but nearly all of the owners had to have the phone replaced countless times and had to endure the spinning wheel. For all our troubles, lost time&money, messed up nerves what did we get in return: Exactly nothing (problems exchanging devices, countless phone calls to RIM etc.).

My new black 9981 seemed like the perfect device for the last 5 days I've owned it. But not anymore. Today out of nowhere it turned off by itself and won't boot again. It has done that whilst in the beginning of a long business day. Blackberries are supposed to be work horses right? This was the final straw that broke the camels neck. I'm fed up with RIM&messing with the OS. There're no returns on lost time and I've lost more than my share of time.

This is a humble warning for all future 9981 owners. As long as RIM doesn't return to its core and become a customer oriented company don't purchase the 9981. It's supposed to be the best blackberry there is. Beginning from build quality and ending with the OS. But it isn't. The leather is subpar, the keys are wiggly, the keyboard backlighting is uneven.

So I'm done with Blackberry once and for all. I'll no longer waste my valuable&precious time&money on RIM and its devices. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Enough is Enough-photo-1-.jpg
    oka1010, HK Low and magutwit like this.
    01-07-13 03:36 AM
    UPDATE: Now the phone is completely dead. It won't even try to boot. No red light no nothing.
    01-07-13 03:41 AM
    I've been a loyal Blackberry user for as long as I can remember. I've begun my journey with the blue 6230. I've used every bold so far, a couple torchs, curves, storms etc. I finally got the 9981 last february. And the black 9981 last week.

For as long as I can remember RIM has been a user friendly company. But not anymore. Beginning with the 9900 red light fiasco, RIM has been punishing early adopters. With all the time I've spent upgrading, erasing, messing etc. the OS, I could've done much more valuable things. 9981 is supposed to be the best blackberry there is but nearly all of the owners had to have the phone replaced countless times and had to endure the spinning wheel. For all our troubles, lost time&money, messed up nerves what did we get in return: Exactly nothing (problems exchanging devices, countless phone calls to RIM etc.).

My new black 9981 seemed like the perfect device for the last 5 days I've owned it. But not anymore. Today out of nowhere it turned off by itself and won't boot again. It has done that whilst in the beginning of a long business day. Blackberries are supposed to be work horses right? This was the final straw that broke the camels neck. I'm fed up with RIM&messing with the OS. There're no returns on lost time and I've lost more than my share of time.

This is a humble warning for all future 9981 owners. As long as RIM doesn't return to its core and become a customer oriented company don't purchase the 9981. It's supposed to be the best blackberry there is. Beginning from build quality and ending with the OS. But it isn't. The leather is subpar, the keys are wiggly, the keyboard backlighting is uneven.

So I'm done with Blackberry once and for all. I'll no longer waste my valuable&precious time&money on RIM and its devices. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	130508
    Oh no this shocks me, i thought that this new matte edition P9981 would be better than its predecessor. I hope it gets fixed soon so you can use it again
    01-07-13 04:18 AM
    I am sorry about what you have gone through. I just picked up mine from the local PD store in Hong Kong. Like you, I was a early user of the silver 9981. Would you mind sharing what went wrong?
    01-07-13 04:19 AM
    Nothing specific. It was working perfectly. No reboots, memory leaks etc. Even battery life was better compared to the old silver one. This morning I plugged out of the dock. Checked mails, erased a couple. Than went on to have breakfast. While having coffee I wanted to check the clock on the device. But device was dead or turned off. No lights no nothing. Decided to do a battery pull. It wouldn't boot past the first 10%. Did some more batt pulls. No luck. Tried a different battery, sim etc. Tried safe mode but no go. Now it wont even try to boot. no red light no nothing. It's just plain and simple dead. DIED BY ITSELF.
    I don't know what to do.
    01-07-13 04:30 AM
    Nothing specific. It was working perfectly. No reboots, memory leaks etc. Even battery life was better compared to the old silver one. This morning I plugged out of the dock. Checked mails, erased a couple. Than went on to have breakfast. While having coffee I wanted to check the clock on the device. But device was dead or turned off. No lights no nothing. Decided to do a battery pull. It wouldn't boot past the first 10%. Did some more batt pulls. No luck. Tried a different battery, sim etc. Tried safe mode but no go. Now it wont even try to boot. no red light no nothing. It's just plain and simple dead. DIED BY ITSELF.
    I don't know what to do.
    Seems like the first productions of the black P9981 would be the same story as the first production the silver P9981 where there's a log of problems, I'm using a replacement P9981 after my first one died, now I haven't experienced any problems yet and hopefully wont encounter one....so what device are u using now?
    01-07-13 04:34 AM
    I'm using my Vertu Constellation Quest and iPhone 5. Though I need to recover my contacts, notepad etc. from my BB. Weird thing is my silver 9981 was never replaced. Yes it had tons of problems but never got bricked by itself. It's really weird how a 2000USD phone can brick itself out of nowhere.
    01-07-13 04:38 AM
    I'm using my Vertu Constellation Quest and iPhone 5. Though I need to recover my contacts, notepad etc. from my BB. Weird thing is my silver 9981 was never replaced. Yes it had tons of problems but never got bricked by itself. It's really weird how a 2000USD phone can brick itself out of nowhere.
    the matte P9981 just arrived at porsche design in Sydney I am planning to get one on my trip there at the end of the month...now I'm having a second thought and perhaps just keep my silver P9981 instead
    01-07-13 04:53 AM
    Any ideas how I can restore the OS so at least try to restore a BB Protect backup and then sync to my PC???

I have no red light no nothing.
    01-07-13 09:07 AM
    Any ideas how I can restore the OS so at least try to restore a BB Protect backup and then sync to my PC???

I have no red light no nothing.
    Does it respond at all when you connect it to a PC with Desktop Manager?
    01-07-13 09:10 AM
    Hopefully Las Vegas' store will get one this week that I can pick up and try.
    filoinstyle likes this.
    01-07-13 09:45 AM
    Hopefully Las Vegas' store will get one this week that I can pick up and try.
    Glad to hear, are you going to put it up for another CONTEST in a couple of months
    filoinstyle likes this.
    01-07-13 09:53 AM
    Ive been looking for a video review of the black P9981...Kevin if you get a chance please do!
    01-07-13 11:11 AM
    Does it respond at all when you connect it to a PC with Desktop Manager?
    Nope nothing. Tried the Crackberry 101 on Nuked Berries as well. Tried with a different battery, sim. Left it plugged in.
    But not even the faintest of red LEDs. Nada. Nit.

Any more ideas?
    01-07-13 01:05 PM
    If you've tried everything I guess the last resort would be the RMA or return it to where you bought it and explain what happened im sure there will be a return policy at that store
    01-07-13 10:12 PM
    If you've tried everything I guess the last resort would be the RMA or return it to where you bought it and explain what happened im sure there will be a return policy at that store
    I purchased it in Germany so going back there is unfeasible at this point. I called RIM earlier yesterday for an RMA but they didn't know what to do as I'm located in Turkey and told me that their manager would get back to me with options in a couple of days.
    01-08-13 02:26 AM
    I guess I'd ask if the retailer you bought it from might be any help at all. I mean, this is a luxury item, part of what you're paying for is better-than-average service.

It does sound like there's been some serious failure within the phone. Best of luck getting it resolved.
    southlander likes this.
    01-08-13 02:42 AM
    I guess I'd ask if the retailer you bought it from might be any help at all. I mean, this is a luxury item, part of what you're paying for is better-than-average service.

It does sound like there's been some serious failure within the phone. Best of luck getting it resolved.
    Thanks. I'll try contacting them today. I think the mother board is somehow fried. We should call these BrickBerries.
    01-08-13 02:56 AM
    I purchased it in Germany so going back there is unfeasible at this point. I called RIM earlier yesterday for an RMA but they didn't know what to do as I'm located in Turkey and told me that their manager would get back to me with options in a couple of days.
    Oh I see, well hopefully they get back to asap. I agree that buying such luxury item should also come with a better customer service...
    01-08-13 04:26 PM
    Oh I see, well hopefully they get back to asap. I agree that buying such luxury item should also come with a better customer service...
    It's been over 48 hours and they still haven't gotten back to me. Even Nokia had better customer service in their old luxury line up (i.e. 8800 Sirocco, Arte). They fixed or changed your phone all around the world within 24 hours. (Nokia Care Premium Service)

It's really unbelievable to me the ridiculously low standards of RIMs customer service.
    01-09-13 04:20 PM
    It's been over 48 hours and they still haven't gotten back to me. Even Nokia had better customer service in their old luxury line up (i.e. 8800 Sirocco, Arte). They fixed or changed your phone all around the world within 24 hours. (Nokia Care Premium Service)

It's really unbelievable to me the ridiculously low standards of RIMs customer service.
    Oh no, you know I had to send my bold 9900 for RMA because the camera just stopped working they received it on the 4th of December...and I haven't even got it back yet, it's ridiculous and I haven't heard from rim yet too I've been asking them whats going and no answer from them I'm so annoyed like I just gave up of asking them and just wait for the phone to arrive (if it ever will) *sigh*
    01-09-13 04:28 PM

Thanks for your heads up!! I was thinking of getting the black P9981 but after reading about your experience, I think the silver P9981 will be the last Blackberry I am getting given that I also had countless problems with the silver P9981. Rather than suffering heartache, I would get an iPhone 5 with a Titanium casing
    01-13-13 10:07 AM
    You should probably ask for a refund and return them the Black P9981 and have nothing to do with RIM anymore. Looking at how they want to market the BB10 with tiered pricing as well as not support Whatsapp, it is a company just waiting to fold up. They think BB10 will save them.....think again
    01-13-13 10:14 AM
    You should probably ask for a refund and return them the Black P9981 and have nothing to do with RIM anymore. Looking at how they want to market the BB10 with tiered pricing as well as not support Whatsapp, it is a company just waiting to fold up. They think BB10 will save them.....think again
    Well I purchased it abroad so I can't go back and refund it. I used the phone only for 6 days. I called RIM customer support exactly 7 days ago and still waiting a call from their manager. They're trying to find a solution for me as they can't find a black 9981 to RMA mine with. Why would you produce a phone that you can't replace and/or fix?

Worst customer service ever.
    01-14-13 02:54 PM
    I told myself that the P9981 is going to be my last Blackberry I am buying. It is like throwing good money away for a sub standard device. All the while, I thought my keyboard on the P9981 was made of steel. WRONG !!! They are made of plastic and the paint is coming off leaving stray light coming out from parts of the keyboard which is not suppose to be lighted.
    01-15-13 10:01 AM
53 123