I told myself that the P9981 is going to be my last Blackberry I am buying. It is like throwing good money away for a sub standard device. All the while, I thought my keyboard on the P9981 was made of steel. WRONG !!! They are made of plastic and the paint is coming off leaving stray light coming out from parts of the keyboard which is not suppose to be lighted.
    Yeap I have the same exact problem on my old silver one. At least with Vertu etc. you get what you pay for. Even keyboard lighting, sapphire crystal keys etc.
    01-15-13 10:35 AM
    I just got a Black 9981 on Tuesday. While I am lucky that it is still working after two days, I would strongly discourage anyone from buying one. It is no different from my older silver 9981. While it might look better/cool in matt black, it is the same device with questionable build quality. I paid almost HK$20,000 at the Porsche Design store in Hong Kong - is it worth it? NO. Not at all. The main reason I bought it was that I needed to send my silver 9981 back to Porsche Design for repair - the touch pad now enters "H" every time I press it.
    HK Low likes this.
    01-17-13 02:37 AM
    For the entire time I thought that the P9981's keyboard is also made out of metal. I guess I need to be extra careful with it now, I'm lucky that theres no chipping on my keyboard yet but it's dissapointing, costumers paid so much money for it and yet it's nowhere near their expectation.
    HK Low likes this.
    01-17-13 04:11 AM
    I just got a Black 9981 on Tuesday. While I am lucky that it is still working after two days, I would strongly discourage anyone from buying one. It is no different from my older silver 9981. While it might look better/cool in matt black, it is the same device with questionable build quality. I paid almost HK$20,000 at the Porsche Design store in Hong Kong - is it worth it? NO. Not at all. The main reason I bought it was that I needed to send my silver 9981 back to Porsche Design for repair - the touch pad now enters "H" every time I press it.
    Well I've been at it with the customer support for the last 2 weeks and they still haven't found a solution. Apparently they don't have any black replacements in stock. It baffles me why RIM produces and sells a phone it can't fix or exchange. On top of all that they still haven't figured out how to get me the device as I'm located in Turkey. In the meantime I've contacted the local Blackberry and Porsche Design, they informed me that they're not authorized either to exchange or fix the device. There's really something wrong with how RIM's customer service works.
    01-17-13 08:34 AM
    For the entire time I thought that the P9981's keyboard is also made out of metal. I guess I need to be extra careful with it now, I'm lucky that theres no chipping on my keyboard yet but it's dissapointing, costumers paid so much money for it and yet it's nowhere near their expectation.
    Me too !! I thought it was made of metal. Now i feel cheated. After paying US$2,000 and discovering you have a product that is really not worth the material it is made from really pisses me off.......keyboard plastic, strip below keyboard plastic, leather in battery cover comes off easily from abrasion, glass keys pop off easily, camera has no auto focus. Haiz what can I say
    01-17-13 08:36 AM
    Thanks for informing us about the issue you have. Feel sorry for you.
    01-17-13 08:39 AM
    If only vertu runs a different software I won't hesitate to get one..;hefty price but yeah you'll get what you pay for it..im just hoping that my P'9981 won't break on me yet...
    01-17-13 03:27 PM
    If only vertu runs a different software I won't hesitate to get one..;hefty price but yeah you'll get what you pay for it..im just hoping that my P'9981 won't break on me yet...
    Reading the specs of a Vertu Smartphone, it seems like it can run most of the functions of a smartphone including browser, whatsapp, camera, music player. Are you referring to the availability of apps?
    01-18-13 06:50 AM
    Reading the specs of a Vertu Smartphone, it seems like it can run most of the functions of a smartphone including browser, whatsapp, camera, music player. Are you referring to the availability of apps?
    Yeah like I prefer the accessibility of apps rather than through browser, the fact that vertu runs symbian OS (Nokia) I'm not sure if it'll be right for me
    01-18-13 07:33 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know Vertu runs on Symbian (which does not have much supported apps). Otherwise, the Vertu phone looks rock solid
    01-18-13 08:45 AM
    You all thought the keyboard was made of metal huh? Wow.. I've never owned one but even I could tell you that's bs. If your problems are legitimate, they will be resolved by rim. Complaining on a forum isn't going to help
    01-18-13 09:07 AM
    UPDATE:

After dozens of phone calls I gave up on RIM and spoke with Porsche Design HQ in Germany. They agreed to change the device so I had to travel to Germany. I was in Berlin yesterday and they exchanged the device without a hitch. Problem solved huh?

Not so fast. Now the new device is acting up. "A" and "alt" keys are acting up. They are sticky and don't have the tactile response like the other keys. Any ideas on whether I can do something to fix the keys.

How does RIM manage to stay in business with so s...ty customer support and quality control?
    BTW: It has been 14 days since I first contacted RIM and they still haven't gotten back to me nor found a solution. At least Porsche Design cares about the customer.
    01-20-13 11:02 AM
    Why do I get the feeling that this is just a hate thread? Why don't you post a video of your device acting up? Give us some perspective please.
    01-20-13 11:06 AM
    Well the first device which just died is now changed. And the new one has 2 keys which are sticky -don't have the tactile feedback like the other keys-. You can read the 9981 forums and see all the problems with this device. I've been one of the early adopters of both 9900 and the 9981 and for a 2k USD device you expect much higher quality.
    HK Low likes this.
    01-20-13 11:13 AM
    I think this is not a hate thread. It is more of an EMPATHY and support group thread. Just try to contact RIM customer service and experience the response. Best is to go out and buy a P9981 for USD2,000 and then "record down the exact feeling" when the device acts up after spending USD2,000.
    BaranE likes this.
    01-22-13 07:07 AM
    I think this is not a hate thread. It is more of an EMPATHY and support group thread. Just try to contact RIM customer service and experience the response. Best is to go out and buy a P9981 for USD2,000 and then "record down the exact feeling" when the device acts up after spending USD2,000.
    You got my feelings exactly. Though it can also be taken as a WARNING thread on what RIMs customer servıce and satisfaction has become.
    01-22-13 08:54 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know Vertu runs on Symbian (which does not have much supported apps). Otherwise, the Vertu phone looks rock solid
    Vertu will be coming out with an android device in a month. I played with the demo while in Germany to exchange my 9981. I'll be keeping an eye out for that.
    01-22-13 08:55 AM
    Vertu will be coming out with an android device in a month. I played with the demo while in Germany to exchange my 9981. I'll be keeping an eye out for that.
    I will definitely be keeping a look out for the Vertu Android device. Thanks for the tip
    01-22-13 09:32 AM
    Sorry to hear of all your troubles guys. And I hope you guys don't flame me for my opinions especially since I didn't actually pay for mine. But while I agree that problems that make the device unusable is bad and should be dealt with by RIM or Porsche Design. Things like some keyboard paint nicking off or the leather wearing on the back I find are not reasonable issues.

Yes it's overpriced but all luxury devices are. As for service, perhaps I have low expectations but having to wait for a week or two and not having to work to get a replacement is what I consider normal. If they do eventually give me a replacement device I consider myself lucky, it's not expected.

I've had nothing but reliable use from my P'9981. Maybe it's been imbued with Crackberry Kevin Luck, I don't know.
    filoinstyle likes this.
    01-22-13 04:57 PM
    You're so lucky so many people joined that competition lol (I was on of them) but yeah your P9981 has a sentimental value considering its from Kevin...I haven't got any issues with mine at the moment too...hopefully it'll stay like it
    01-22-13 09:18 PM
    I guess for those of you who have no problems with your blackberry P9981, good for you !!

Perhaps, for many of us who wanted to get a luxury phone, USD2,000 wasn't the right category we should be looking at as leather wear and keyboard nicks are acceptable norms. To me, if you are paying for something luxury there should be zero tolerance for error or complaints. In any case, a luxury item should warrant a 1:1 exchange and even to the extend of a concierge service to bring the replacement item to you. That's the kind of service I am used to (but that is just me)
    01-23-13 05:50 AM
    I guess for those of you who have no problems with your blackberry P9981, good for you !!

Perhaps, for many of us who wanted to get a luxury phone, USD2,000 wasn't the right category we should be looking at as leather wear and keyboard nicks are acceptable norms. To me, if you are paying for something luxury there should be zero tolerance for error or complaints. In any case, a luxury item should warrant a 1:1 exchange and even to the extend of a concierge service to bring the replacement item to you. That's the kind of service I am used to (but that is just me)
    Brother I totally agree with you!!! The fact that the leather wears of the battery cover corners and headjack is ridiculous. Bet that doesn't happen on the Vertu.
    01-23-13 08:32 AM
    Nope Vertu is on a league of its own. I used several other high end phones, Motorola Aura, Nokia 8800 Arte etc. and quality wise Vertu is unchallanged. I'd have expected more from PD.
    01-23-13 08:40 AM

I stand corrected then. Guess I'm very out of touch with the standards of the luxury market. Being poor sucks!
    Hopefully RIM and Porsche Design can learn from this first foray into the luxury phone market and provide a better product/service next time.
    01-23-13 02:31 PM
    I've been a loyal Blackberry user for as long as I can remember. I've begun my journey with the blue 6230. I've used every bold so far, a couple torchs, curves, storms etc. I finally got the 9981 last february. And the black 9981 last week.

For as long as I can remember RIM has been a user friendly company. But not anymore. Beginning with the 9900 red light fiasco, RIM has been punishing early adopters. With all the time I've spent upgrading, erasing, messing etc. the OS, I could've done much more valuable things. 9981 is supposed to be the best blackberry there is but nearly all of the owners had to have the phone replaced countless times and had to endure the spinning wheel. For all our troubles, lost time&money, messed up nerves what did we get in return: Exactly nothing (problems exchanging devices, countless phone calls to RIM etc.).

My new black 9981 seemed like the perfect device for the last 5 days I've owned it. But not anymore. Today out of nowhere it turned off by itself and won't boot again. It has done that whilst in the beginning of a long business day. Blackberries are supposed to be work horses right? This was the final straw that broke the camels neck. I'm fed up with RIM&messing with the OS. There're no returns on lost time and I've lost more than my share of time.

This is a humble warning for all future 9981 owners. As long as RIM doesn't return to its core and become a customer oriented company don't purchase the 9981. It's supposed to be the best blackberry there is. Beginning from build quality and ending with the OS. But it isn't. The leather is subpar, the keys are wiggly, the keyboard backlighting is uneven.

So I'm done with Blackberry once and for all. I'll no longer waste my valuable&precious time&money on RIM and its devices. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Attachment 130508
    Can I have your P9981?
    02-01-13 05:16 PM
53 123