With the new OS7.1, the P9981 has an excellent battery life with the new "Battery Saving mode" set on "Always On". I can get through 15 a hour day with the battery still holding a 70% charge.

However, when i charge the phone to 100% and turn it off (Full Power Off") during the night, and turn the phone on in the morning the battery drops to 65 to 70%.

This is very strange! when poered up the battery can lats a long time. When powered off, the battery starts to drain.

Does anyone face the same issue?
    05-19-12 11:16 PM
    Try turning off wifi before shutting off the phone during the night.
    05-19-12 11:46 PM
    Try turning off wifi before shutting off the phone during the night.
    Thanks. Only my Mobile Network is on before I do a "Full Power Off". All other radio like Bluetooth, wifi, NFC, Mobile Hotspot are off.

I have also tried to off Mobile Network before I do a "Full Power Off" with the same results of have 65 to 70% battery in the morning.

Am at wits end on what to do
    05-19-12 11:55 PM
    I was toying around with the phone and noticed that under NFC options, there is an "Allow NFC even when off" option that has been checked.

Could this be the source of the drain when powered off?
    05-20-12 10:25 AM
    I am not sure, it could be. I will never be so fortunate as to own such a phone as that one. I hope it brings you many years of great service.
    05-20-12 11:18 PM
    I am not sure, it could be. I will never be so fortunate as to own such a phone as that one. I hope it brings you many years of great service.
    I hope to get many years of service with the P'9981 too. Comparing the Bold 9900 and Porsche Design P'9981, I think the P'9981 is designed as nothing more than a wow factor. In terms of reliability and a workhorse, I would still go with the 9900. Everyday, I worry that the glass buttons may drop off or the back cover may drop off !!!

As for the NFC, it doesn't work. I wiped by BB and loaded it with the P'9981 OS7.1.0.342 firmware from Brightpoint UK instead of the one from UAE as well as selective restore of data components.

Let's see if this will work.
    05-21-12 04:05 AM
    I was toying around with the phone and noticed that under NFC options, there is an "Allow NFC even when off" option that has been checked.

Could this be the source of the drain when powered off?
    Could very well be.

I know since I've started using the 9981 my battery saving habits from the 9630 days seems to keep me with well over 50% charge by the end of the day with moderate use.
    Turning off all connection that are not currently in use or during commute while underground helps a lot for me.

That's for the note of NFC even when off, didn't know that was an option
    05-28-12 11:51 AM
    Could very well be.

I know since I've started using the 9981 my battery saving habits from the 9630 days seems to keep me with well over 50% charge by the end of the day with moderate use.
    Turning off all connection that are not currently in use or during commute while underground helps a lot for me.

That's for the note of NFC even when off, didn't know that was an option
    Well I tried to turn off the NFC "even when powered off" before turning off the phone to no effect. I using charge my battery till 100% and leave it on trickle charge till 11:30 pm then I pull the charger off. Here's where the difference comes in:

1) switching the phone off after a full charge at 11:30 pm and turning it on at 8:30 am will show a battery life of 70%

2) charging it to 100% and pulling the charger off, while leaving the phone on (with only network on) and checking it at 8:30 am will show that the phone has 86% battery left

Conclusion......leaving the phone on saves more battery (perhaps, with the phone on the battery management system can get to work)
    05-28-12 09:00 PM
    Interesting problem. I don't have the answer, and I don't know if it happens with my Bold, because I just leave it on the charger all night.
    05-28-12 09:10 PM
    Been on the phone with RIM technical support yesterday. They indicated that with the issue that I have described, there is a problem with the circuit board and raised a repair ticket for me to send in my set for servicing !! Really sad

In the meantime, I went to buy myself another P9981 and am now testing if the same issue arises. As i have just fully charged my battery and turned the phone off, I will have the results in 8 hours time.
    06-22-12 04:03 AM
    Voila 100% battery left !!!

I turned the phone on after 8.5 hours powered off. Guess what......it was still 100% battery power. The conclusion is that the circuit board of the 1st P9981 has a problem.
    06-22-12 10:05 AM
    Congratulations! When you finally get the first one back, you'll have two working ones, in order. Thanks for sharing your findings!
    06-22-12 11:00 AM
    I just love the look of the P9981. This is one of the most controversial piece of Blackberry RIM has every made (love it or hate it) and probably the last one with a physical keyboard (and made of stainless steel).

In a couple of year's time, I think it will be a collectors item.
    06-23-12 01:18 AM
    Voila 100% battery left !!!

I turned the phone on after 8.5 hours powered off. Guess what......it was still 100% battery power. The conclusion is that the circuit board of the 1st P9981 has a problem.
    Good that the problem is solved now.

Regarding NFC and "Allow NFC even when off":
    NFC can be used for payment (when it is rolled out by banks/carriers). If you set "Allow NFC even when off" it allows you to pay with your BB even when the battery is discharged (the NFC part of the BB gets its power from the Payment Terminal signal). This mode is there so that even if your smart phone is dead, you are still able to pay for bus/taxi to get home/office and charge your BB.

This mode doesn't have an impact on your BB's battery when you turn off your BB.
    HK Low and PiotrJot like this.
    06-23-12 10:50 PM
    Good that the problem is solved now.

Regarding NFC and "Allow NFC even when off":
    NFC can be used for payment (when it is rolled out by banks/carriers). If you set "Allow NFC even when off" it allows you to pay with your BB even when the battery is discharged (the NFC part of the BB gets its power from the Payment Terminal signal). This mode is there so that even if your smart phone is dead, you are still able to pay for bus/taxi to get home/office and charge your BB.

This mode doesn't have an impact on your BB's battery when you turn off your BB.
    Thanks for this useful information. It is certainly good to know that.
    06-23-12 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD