So I was thinking, and came up with a potentially good idea I haven't seen yet.

So here I pose my question, What Blackberry OpenGL games would you like to see on the Blackberry? I do have a few conditions to answering this question I prefer not to see "like the Iphone or Droid" in the answers, and my reasoning for both the question and conditions are so developers can look at this and see what people are interested in and not just duplicating a game from a different fun give them some creative freedom. Also if their is something specific in the game you would like to see feel free to include any details including controls or certain visual aspects you would like to have... I will try to keep up with everything and add the most popular requests to this post.

I figured if we put out there what we would like to have developers will be more interested in making the games/programs for us knowing that interest is already high in a certain type of game.

THE LIST OF WANTED GAMES/APPS SO FAR:

A racing game similar to NFS Speed shift demo displayed at the devcon

Game similar to monkey ball that heavily utilizes the accelerometer for game play

3d puzzle i.e. Rubics Cube

Clone of Tempest

Age of Empires: Age of Kings

game like Toki Tori Introduction - iPhone - TokiTori

Offroad racing type game i.e. Paris Dakar Rally, Baja racing.

motocross using accelerometer to nose up/down bike or preload.

Madden NFL '10

Galaga

Flying game utilizing accelerometer
    Last edited by joryoung; 12-30-09 at 08:28 AM.
    12-29-09 11:43 AM
    Something quick and fun that would take advantage of the accelerometer...like Super Monkey Ball!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 11:47 AM
    I have played around with my friend's iPhone much and the only game I really liked was Toki Tori: Introduction - iPhone - TokiTori

Toki Tori is truly a great game, I wish it would be ported to the Storm2. I don't really care of any other games, I'm more into platformers and the like... and yeah! Super Monkey Ball would be a killer!
    12-29-09 11:50 AM
    I would like to see a racing game or a game where you can level up and get better. Maybe an rpg?

12-29-09 11:56 AM
    Meh, racing games get boring very quickly
    12-29-09 12:03 PM
    I would love for the games to use not only the accelerometer on the storm but the touch as well- the bowling could have been more of a flick the way the iphone does it. I have the touch and the games are way cooler- that being said wouldn't trade my blackberry for two iphones...
    12-29-09 12:07 PM
    Need for Speed. Not sure if it's open GL, but the moment it comes to the S2, I'm buying it. I have them all for the PS3, PS2 and PS1. Any racing game would be great. Would really love to see some GTA game as well...
    12-29-09 12:10 PM
    Great I'm happy to hear all these suggestions, and hopefully developers will be to!
    12-29-09 12:20 PM
    NFS is definitely OpenGL and the most promising that I have seen by far.
    12-29-09 12:31 PM
    A Tempest clone. Loved that game, rotate the phone to move, tap to shoot (hold screen to continuously fire), click to jump. Don't remember if there was a bomb, but a hotspot to tap for the bomb would work too.

Was always a nice addictive way to kill time.
    12-29-09 01:05 PM
    NFS is definitely OpenGL and the most promising that I have seen by far.
    I believe what we saw was a stripped BB running basic core function to allow that demo to run. If you take a look at the I-version of the game it comes in at a whopping 178 Megs. Too big too fit on any BB made today. PBA bowling was/is ok. It comes in at a BB choking nearly 7 megs and bowling does not need to push nearly as many pixels as NFS. Even if they scale down some rendering (leave out some buildings, trees, Billboards, sky, etc...) leave out a few drivers, cars and tracks, it is hard to see the game come in at less than 20 megs and the experience will not feel the same. That said, I was relatively happy with PBA Bowling2.
    12-29-09 01:08 PM
    I believe what we saw was a stripped BB running basic core function to allow that demo to run. If you take a look at the I-version of the game it comes in at a whopping 178 Megs. Too big too fit on any BB made today. PBA bowling was/is ok. It comes in at a BB choking nearly 7 megs and bowling does not need to push nearly as many pixels as NFS. Even if they scale down some rendering (leave out some buildings, trees, Billboards, sky, etc...) leave out a few drivers, cars and tracks, it is hard to see the game come in at less than 20 megs and the experience will not feel the same. That said, I was relatively happy with PBA Bowling2.
    You bring up an interesting point. RIM has to know that 256MB of storage space is jack when it comes to programming games and what not. I wonder if it's possible for a game like NFS to install the core components to app memory, then all the assets to the storage card.

Here's to hoping RIM fixes the app memory problem in the near future.
    12-29-09 01:20 PM
    @Joel S./1magine: You guys bring up a very interesting and good point. Hopefully the 2GB eMMC will be put to good use (though MicroSD would be even more preferable).
    12-29-09 02:18 PM
    It would be interesting to hear a comment from Kevin, Crucial or the rest of the bunch in the know here, coz they were talking about freeing up the memory card for app memory ages ago.
    12-29-09 02:52 PM
    I really don't care about a 3d game. I'd like to see an astronomy app that takes advantage of the internal gps like celestia, or perhaps a a hanggliding simulator. A spinnable 3d puzzle like a rubix cube would be cool though.

12-29-09 03:00 PM
    Age of Empires: Age of Kings
    12-29-09 03:04 PM
    I never put in my 2cents in the original post so I would like to see something like ace combat or some type of jet fighting game.
    12-29-09 03:20 PM
    Paris Dakar rally, Baha rally any sort of off road racing

12-29-09 03:26 PM
    I really don't see great games coming to the blackberry in the near future...but here's to dreaming....Madden NFL touch in 2010! That would be siiiiick. hahaha
    12-29-09 04:24 PM
    Madden 2010 huh. Better be able to install and run from SD card because you're looking at 256 megs minimal with textures.

12-29-09 04:27 PM
    No matter it's on all other phones, it is there because it is a must ... Doom

Multiplayer via blueetooth or wifi would be nice. Control by accelerometer or just thumb-tapping sides of screen in landscape.

EDIT: After super-shotgun being mentioned, vibration after firing that thing (and other things) would be sweet too.
    Last edited by maximal42; 12-29-09 at 06:35 PM.
    12-29-09 04:40 PM
    Oh yes... Doom, definitely. Doom II preferably for the Super Shotgun. Good times...

Heck, they could take all of the best titles on the NintendoDS and port them over (assuming licensing isn't an issue).

12-29-09 05:58 PM
    If someone could write an emulator, say for the N64 that would be awesome.
    12-29-09 06:17 PM
    I'd love to see Galaga, FWIW. Pong, too
    12-29-09 06:32 PM
    Oh yes... Doom, definitely. Doom II preferably for the Super Shotgun. Good times...

Heck, they could take all of the best titles on the NintendoDS and port them over (assuming licensing isn't an issue).

I agree this would be bad***!

12-29-09 07:13 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD