Ive gone through pretty much all the ways I believe its possible to stream games live to my storm and theyre all inconvenient, expensive and may not work, IMO.

Basically, I want to be able to watch Red Sox games from my phone. Picture quality isnt the most important thing, either.

• I have a Storm 9530 running .75
    • Verizon is my service provider (so 3G, but no WiFi)
    • I live in Rhode Island
    • I have Verizon FIOS TV at home
    • NESN (which is the channel I want to watch) is channel #76 in my area, and most of the sports channels are in the 70s or 80s. So a basic TV tuner card with Clear QAM won't work, because Im 99% sure NESN is encrypted...
    • I dont have a TV tuner card, but I would purchase one if it would get me NESN and not cost a ton
    • I dont have a slingbox, but I would purchase one if I was sure it would work well on my phone

Ive thoroughly explored both the Tuner card w/orb option and the Slingbox w/slingplayer option... and they book seem really expensive for what I want to do and it also seems like a pretty iffy proposition as to whether they will work as Id like them to. I also dont really want to purchase a cable card (which would allow me to view encrypted QAM). The Verizon FIOS website told me to look for a tv tuner card that is digital cable ready - as far as I can see these dont presently exist! Outside of the prohibitively expensive ATI Wonder Cable - which, from reading reviews around the net, seems to have a ton of problems and may not work with my system's BIOS. Verizon charges 5 bucks a month for the cable card - which is exactly what they charge for a set top box. So... that kind of sucks. Plus - I cant even tell how to get one and they may not even be available yet (the law requiring them doesnt require them to be offered until June or July I think)!

Does anyone have a workaround/brilliant solution? You would have my eternal gratitude.

Any further information anyone would like to share would also be greatly appreciated. I like to think Im moderately tech savvy... but I humbly bow to those with greater knowledge who can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

*Side note - some videos seem to cause an error and reboot on my Storm when they run more than a few minutes. Is this a common problem? Is it a .75 issue? Anything I should be worried about? This was one more concern in terms of making Sox games on my phone happen.
    03-09-09 03:14 AM
    And just so we're clear - Im not looking for something for nothing here! Not looking for a way to steal cable programming for free or anything. I subscribe (for a steep price) to Verizon FIOS TV and internet already - I already get NESN at home.

Im just looking for a way to watch this programming on my phone/stream to my phone so I can watch it when Im not home...

EDIT: Not trying to "Edster" baseball games here!
    Last edited by alskor; 03-09-09 at 03:32 AM.
    03-09-09 03:20 AM
    Just buy a sling box for about 100 bucks on eBay and you can watch whatever you want. I do it all the time. It's simple and super convenient.
    03-09-09 04:36 AM
    Maybe you can stream them over the browser? But it is not my fault if you get a super long bill.
    03-09-09 05:01 AM
    T
    If you get a tv card I believe you would be able to steam it through orb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 05:44 AM
    There are a lot of free streaming websites, but they will charge you on your bill. I had an iPhone, and when I streamed movies when not on WiFi, I payed a whole lot of money.
    03-09-09 05:55 AM
    Just buy a sling box for about 100 bucks on eBay and you can watch whatever you want. I do it all the time. It's simple and super convenient.
    I woulld definitely go that route if i could be sure it would work... From everything I read on here SlingPlayer is touchy on the Storm and only works with certain Sling boxes... That scares me. Has anyone been successful with this?

EDIT: That is, anyone with my set up? Verizon Storm, Verizon FIOS TV, etc...
    Last edited by alskor; 03-09-09 at 12:46 PM.
    03-09-09 12:42 PM
    T
    If you get a tv card I believe you would be able to steam it through orb

I dont believe I would be able to... from what I understand most/all TV Tuner cards only receive Clear QAM (unencrypted channels). From looking at Verizon's website, the channel I want to watch, NESN, appears to be encrypted.

It seems to me that most Tv Tuner cards can only receive the basic cable lineup - channels 1-49ish. I was all ready to go run out and drop 80 bucks on one until I found this out. Its not really worth it to me if I cant get NESN or at least ESPN through it...
    03-09-09 12:45 PM
    why would you want to watch the redsoxs
    Its all about the yankees
    Bock Foston

03-09-09 12:46 PM
    why would you want to watch the redsoxs
    Its all about the yankees
    Bock Foston

I dont think I could watch the Yanks.... Call me crazy, but I cant stand to watch third place teams.

Actually, I would almost certainly watch Yankee games on ESPN, too, if I could get this setup...
    03-09-09 12:49 PM
    3rd place 26 times? =)

Anyway
    Get orb abd a tv turner and your set bud

03-09-09 01:03 PM
    i'd much prefer to listen to radio broadcasts, i haven't found a radio app that does standard radio station tuner settings. maybe that will be your salvation, AM radio!!!!
    03-09-09 01:41 PM
    you're both wrong. everyone knows the mets are the only team worth watching.

anyway, it's funny this thread should pop up as i've started researching the very same topic. so far i think there may be a way to listen to the live audio broadcasts via mlb.com

i found this on their site:

Gameday Audio | MLB.com: Mobile

there appears to be two options there. the first is the web based option, and while it doesn't specifically mention blackberry, if it's web based i'd imagine it would work. the second method shown is application based, and they do not list any blackberry devices at all among the supported device list.

the other issue is that it's a pay site ($4.99 a month), but i'm wondering if it's included if you subscribe to the main MLB Gameday package...
    03-09-09 03:17 PM
    you're both wrong. everyone knows the mets are the only team worth watching.

anyway, it's funny this thread should pop up as i've started researching the very same topic. so far i think there may be a way to listen to the live audio broadcasts via mlb.com

i found this on their site:

Gameday Audio | MLB.com: Mobile

there appears to be two options there. the first is the web based option, and while it doesn't specifically mention blackberry, if it's web based i'd imagine it would work. the second method shown is application based, and they do not list any blackberry devices at all among the supported device list.

the other issue is that it's a pay site ($4.99 a month), but i'm wondering if it's included if you subscribe to the main MLB Gameday package...
    Ive been curious how good MLB Gameday is as well...

Anybody try it last year...?
    03-09-09 08:53 PM
    3rd place 26 times? =)

Anyway
    Get orb abd a tv turner and your set bud

WOW that right there is a true yankees fan!!! The INSTANT someone says anything bad about the yankees they pull out the whole "26"...well My response is what have you done for me LATELY!!!
    03-09-09 09:13 PM
    WOW that right there is a true yankees fan!!! The INSTANT someone says anything bad about the yankees they pull out the whole "26"...well My response is what have you done for me LATELY!!!
    /agreed, go sox!

back on topic, i had a tv card a while back and live in your area (mass) and i use to watch nesn all the time from my pc. i currently use orb to stream my sirius, havent streamed live tv yet, took out the tuner card, but i dont see why it wouldnt work. oh, my tuner card sees all of my non high def channels, so i have i think around 150ish standard channels
    03-09-09 09:52 PM
    I think Ive missed a distinction here...

I can set the TV Tuner Card up with coaxial input coming from a set top box - not a wall jack. I think you people may be right and I may have misunderstood this part. Does that make sense to anyone?

For instance, if you have a TV Tuner card and you plug a coaxial cable from the wall jack directly into it I believe you can only receive the basic, local, non-encrypted (clear QAM) channels. This why you would need a cable card - which is more or less an alternative to a set top box.

If I understand this correctly, though, if I use the TV out from a set top box I should be fine. Set top boxes essentially convert digital signals into analog signals. Therefore, once Im taking my signal from a set top box I should have no problem, because the tuner card on my PC should be able to take analog signals...

That sound about right?

Im going out to buy one tomorrow!
    03-10-09 12:12 AM
    Im gonna buy this and let people know how it works if anyone is interested... I noticed this thread got a lot of views.
    03-10-09 02:20 PM
    Hey if you can get tv on your pc try out orb!

cannot post links yes google it thanks
    03-10-09 03:50 PM
    yes, what have you done...LATELY?
    03-10-09 03:59 PM
    I think Ive missed a distinction here...

I can set the TV Tuner Card up with coaxial input coming from a set top box - not a wall jack. I think you people may be right and I may have misunderstood this part. Does that make sense to anyone?

For instance, if you have a TV Tuner card and you plug a coaxial cable from the wall jack directly into it I believe you can only receive the basic, local, non-encrypted (clear QAM) channels. This why you would need a cable card - which is more or less an alternative to a set top box.

If I understand this correctly, though, if I use the TV out from a set top box I should be fine. Set top boxes essentially convert digital signals into analog signals. Therefore, once Im taking my signal from a set top box I should have no problem, because the tuner card on my PC should be able to take analog signals...

That sound about right?

Im going out to buy one tomorrow!
    I may be wrong, but if you run the cable out of the back of the set top box won't you only be able to access the channel that the set top box is tuned to?
    03-10-09 04:21 PM
    All I have to say is who won the World Series? GO PHILLIES!!! Anyway I am thinking slinbox is the best option. I hope they come out with a storm specific version soon.

03-10-09 04:37 PM
    Ive been curious how good MLB Gameday is as well...

Anybody try it last year...?
    I subscribed to the $4.99/month service last year on my Treo and it was GREAT, but from what I've read, they only offer this on Windows Mobile devices and it is NOT included with the regular Gameday Audio package on the computer. From what I can tell, there is currently no way to listen to MLB Audio on the Storm or any Blackberry.
    03-10-09 04:37 PM
    Flycast radio picks up WEEI, that's my only salvation this season man, that and the mlb.com red sox shortcut app lol! LET'S GO SOX!

03-10-09 04:42 PM
    Flycast radio picks up WEEI, that's my only salvation this season man, that and the mlb.com red sox shortcut app lol! LET'S GO SOX!

If my past experiences are any indication, stations that broadcast MLB games, stream other programming or nothing during live game broadcasts, otherwise who would ever pay for any of the services mlb.com offers?
    03-10-09 04:45 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD