New "silent" release for BlackBerry OS 4.7 and 5.0 - Opera Mini - Opera Community

I'm running the latest build on my 9700. It's the best mobile browser I've ever used.

It's stable, fast, all the features are working. Very minor issues left to fix. It's now a browser I can spend hours with effortlessly. I think it beats the Android and Pre browsers, and even the iPhone especially when taking into account the list of features.

I think we've turned a corner. What do you think? Remember this is the latest build. Try installing again if you've been disappointed before. This is a game changer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by synthmole; 12-17-09 at 07:51 PM.
    12-17-09 03:00 PM
    Switching this thread to 3rd Party Apps
    12-17-09 03:35 PM
    I think they've made a BEAUTIFUL browser, but with the beauty comes A LOT of lag.
    12-17-09 03:49 PM
    Agree about the lag and stupid effects but it's only the UI. It loads pages fast and renders them accurately.
    12-17-09 04:01 PM
    Still alot of issues to resolve. Its getting there, but not 100% yet.

Screens sometimes load white on some pages.
    Sometimes not all images will load.
    Difficult navigation with touchscreen, need to implement click functionality.
    When using tabs I seem to get "this page was cleared to save RAM, please reload page" often, even when only using 2 tabs, I guess it may be demanding to load 2 web pages on a cell phone, but whats the point of tabs if it just clears the other?

These are just off the top of my head.
    12-17-09 04:04 PM
    Still alot of issues to resolve. Its getting there, but not 100% yet.

Screens sometimes load white on some pages.
    Sometimes not all images will load.
    Difficult navigation with touchscreen, need to implement click functionality.
    When using tabs I seem to get "this page was cleared to save RAM, please reload page" often, even when only using 2 tabs, I guess it may be demanding to load 2 web pages on a cell phone, but whats the point of tabs if it just clears the other?

These are just off the top of my head.

I agree with you. It is quite fast when it comes to loading pages, but there is still more work to be done. Some pages do not render as accurately as with some of the other browsers. It does seem to be more stable even though it is a Beta. I'm sure it will improve drastically.
    12-17-09 04:15 PM
    I have used bolt and hated it, I have endured the BlackBerry browser and just used it for mobile sites. After seeing this thread and the title "game changer" I was intrigued. I have to say I am very impressed. Opera has kicked some serious as$ with this browser.

Having a few issues getting it to sync with the opera on my computer, not all that bothered by that though.

Thanks for pointing out a great browser in its beta stages. Previous versions never did anything for me and I found them highly frustrating.
    12-17-09 04:46 PM
    All mobile browsers run into limits with multiple pages loaded. Android, iPhone and Pre browsers reload pages too because they don't have enough allocated RAM to keep them all in place. Having 2 or 3 pages is still very useful.

12-17-09 04:49 PM
    Did this latest build just get released today or is it the same one that has been out for a couple of weeks?
    12-17-09 05:22 PM
    Does this work well on the Tour? Also, which download link did you use for OS 5.0 non-touchscreen?
    12-17-09 05:32 PM
    I have been using opera beta 2 for a few weeks now on a bold and it is hands down the best browser out there. I am not experiencing any of the issues mentioned above. Make sure you have beta 2. Beta 1 was horrible.

It is fast even with 5 tabs loaded up. Amazing!

12-17-09 05:53 PM
    Works really well with the 9700, haven't found any bugs big enough to prevent me from using it!
    12-17-09 05:55 PM
    Did this latest build just get released today or is it the same one that has been out for a couple of weeks?
    It's a new release, not the same as the one I tried 10 days ago. I can't say enough good things about it. Try it again.

12-17-09 07:23 PM
    The latest verstion was posted on 12/9, to address non-touch devices:

New "silent" release for BlackBerry OS 4.7 and 5.0 - Opera Mini - Opera Community
    12-17-09 07:46 PM
    For the second time I loaded Opera Mini and already deleted the mess. I cannot for the life of me find the value some see in this browser. Back to Bolt and the native browser I go one more time.

12-17-09 07:55 PM
    For the second time I loaded Opera Mini and already deleted the mess. I cannot for the life of me find the value some see in this browser. Back to Bolt and the native browser I go one more time.

What was the problem?
    12-17-09 08:00 PM
    I've noticed a positive difference between this newer build and the initial beta2 build from a couple weeks ago. I'm running .421 on my Bold2 and unfortunately OM 4.2 doesn't work with it (same problem as some 5.0 builds of the 8900). I used Bolt until I gave it another chance, noticed that it was upgraded to a newer build and love it. Minimal hickups, and works well.

12-18-09 01:03 AM
    YES I agree Bolt sucks a whole team's worth... Everything is tiny and you can't zoom in... I don't know why people say they like it... Reality is relative after all.
    12-18-09 03:15 AM
    At least with BOLT you can get a page loaded. Maybe you need reading glasses.
    12-18-09 03:49 AM
    Well, I used to use the wapforums. I'm now running the full forum on my phone. Its seriously excellent
    12-18-09 03:56 AM

What was the problem?
    Not saying this was "sedalia's" case, but find when they don't bother posting their issues, it's usually "OE"
    12-18-09 08:06 AM
    YES I agree Bolt sucks a whole team's worth... Everything is tiny and you can't zoom in... I don't know why people say they like it... Reality is relative after all.
    Ummmm, there's an option in "Settings" to increase the "Font size" quite largely!

Reality is "Do your research, b4 posting"
    12-18-09 08:10 AM
    What was the problem?
    Too difficult to manipulate. Not straightforward enough for my simple mind. My needs are small. The native browser with its shortcuts and minimal function is fine.

Opera is beautiful to gaze upon and for all those who like the browser more power to you. I love my BB and am happy to use other browsers without the bells and whistles.

12-18-09 08:15 AM
    The new Opera beta build is a big improvement over the last one. Very little lag and so far has rendered all the sites I normally visit just fine.

12-18-09 08:15 AM
    Not saying this was "sedalia's" case, but find when they don't bother posting their issues, it's usually "OE"
    I can accept that. I am one simple guy with small needs in browser world. I am happy without Opera and delighted for all of you who like the thing. Best wishes to you all.

12-18-09 08:18 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD