Idk, I love my new blackberry storm I just got it a few days ago.. but seriously it PALES in comparison to what the cool apps and games the iphone has (for free), whats the deal? I'm seeing all these big corporate apps and games charging $10-$100 a pop for an application/game, is Verizon really going authoritarian with their new baby from RIM? Please tell me there are some great indie apps / games out there, because this phone is awesome except for the things that made the Iphone a great success.. a big fanbase and adaptability when it came to cool apps / games
    01-28-09 08:23 PM
    Give it some time. They will come in no time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 08:36 PM
    The deal?

This ain't an iPhone, that's the deal. BB is more business oriented...BUT it won't be long. Search threads on the Blackberry App Store coming soon. The Storm may eventually have more 'cool' factor, but don't expect it to leapfrog the iPhone.

There are some pretty sweet apps already available (check software/apps here on Crackberry store too) that should get you some of what you might be looking for.

Just be glad you don't have to tolerate the crappy ATT service.

01-28-09 08:37 PM
    It's not because it's a BB v iPhone, it's because java sucks to code in

RIM is doing themselves no favours by not making their own widgets and other features of their own apps like the shortcut bars available for their developers so the developers have to keep re-inventing the wheel all the time instead of making cool apps.
    01-28-09 08:40 PM
    The deal?

This ain't an iPhone, that's the deal. BB is more business oriented...BUT it won't be long. Search threads on the Blackberry App Store coming soon. The Storm may eventually have more 'cool' factor, but don't expect it to leapfrog the iPhone.

There are some pretty sweet apps already available (check software/apps here on Crackberry store too) that should get you some of what you might be looking for.

Just be glad you don't have to tolerate the crappy ATT service.

It's a business oriented phone but cmon, we both know this isn't the best blackberry to be using for business related matters. It comes down to RIM going straight for the Iphone based on the great success of the touchscreen phone evolution that is occuring here. I think if however, that if better and warmer relations to application creation / game creation were established between potential developers and future consumers you'd see a huge leap in sales based on the targeted consumer group (15-22 year olds).

And I agree, AT&T is a crappy service, which is the exact reason why I switched . However I must say that the Iphone has a long time headstart on the storm so I'm willing to wait to see what potential storm developers are concocting
    01-28-09 08:47 PM
    The iphone app store wasn't born overnight it t ook awhle so b patiance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 08:56 PM
    It is always funny this is always asked by people who just sign up to post on this forum. Why not search. How many reincarnations do we need of this question?

People also seem to forget it has taken time for Apple (iPhone) to get where they are now. 2+ years. The storm has been out barely 2 months, and yet nobody think about this before asking this question..

Give it time. Rome was not built in a day and neither will the Blackberry App Store..........
    01-28-09 09:38 PM
    How many apps were out 2 months into the original iphones launch? I'm willing to guess not many. Just calm down and wait, I'm sure years into it (like where the iphone is now) there will be plenty of storm apps for you.
    01-28-09 10:44 PM
    I think developers are waiting for the next OS before they write their apps.
    01-28-09 10:49 PM
    I know this question is old to many but where can i find apps for the storm? I searched the themes on Bplay and none were made for the storm which made me sad I dont want a whole bunch of stuff but a theme for my phone would be nice
    01-28-09 11:57 PM
    there are no apps... you have to make them on your own - google blackberry storm app developer, ive made about 10 AWESOME apps/games so far
    01-29-09 12:06 AM
    its true, developing apps for the BB is hard. probably the worst of all the mobile platforms.

the BB api's are rough.

the limit on memory kills all graphic intensive programs. some of those games and apps that look good for the iphone can be 20mb in size. i rarely have 20mb working memory on my phone!

until we can install stuff on the 1gb, or the mem card, forget it.
    01-29-09 12:09 AM
    I know this question is old to many but where can i find apps for the storm? I searched the themes on Bplay and none were made for the storm which made me sad I dont want a whole bunch of stuff but a theme for my phone would be nice
    Try this link. It's updated fairly often. This should help until the BB App store is up and running. Good luck!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...thread-107305/
    01-29-09 12:30 AM
    My thoughts are that a lot of developers are waiting for
    1) The Storm (or at least reports of it) to stabilize.
    2) The App center to open up

So long as the web is reporting the Storm to be unstable, it may be discouraging developers from porting or creating software for it. It'd be like expecting a contractor to put up drywall while the building's foundation is unstable. Too much liability / chance for negative reviews through no fault of their own (xxx's Storm Widget crashed my phone).

And if the App Center remotely resembles the App Store for Apple, it would help developers promote and sell their apps. The centralized location means no more trying to post releases on Crackberry, HoFo, Berryreview AND maintain their own website. And receiving payment would probably be easier as well.
    01-29-09 12:42 AM
    Kuroshio hit it on the head with #1. I don't write code for BB, but do write code for a living. If a problem happens anywhere in the vicinity of your program, you get the blame. If it is the LAST program installed, you get the blame. It is beyond most users to investigate to see if it is the OS or ANOTHER poorly written program that is the culprit. They want someone to blame and it will be your program.

This is true in a stable environment, but is exponentially larger in a new or unstable one. I've been at the end of this barrel several times with new operating systems and it is very frustrating.
    01-29-09 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD