Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums but I'm a blackberry loyal (so far). I currently have a tour but am able to upgrade my phone Dec. 1st. I'd love to get an os 6 device but there are some apps I can't live without: barns and noble nook, kindle, bitbop, dataviz docs to go (professional addition), a food journal/diet app and a checkbook app. Someone please help! Everyone I've talked to says blackberry is dead and that I need to move to android because no one is developing for blackberry anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 09:02 AM
    Everyone I've talked to says blackberry is dead and that I need to move to android because no one is developing for blackberry anymore.

This statement is just not true. There are many companies still developing software for the Blackberry and that won't change anytime soon. Bottom line, the BB has always been more business oriented. In the past couple of years, RIM has gone after the individual user market and they have had some success. They still have a way to go but RIM and Blackberry aren't going anywhere.

I am currently running a leaked OS 6 on my Bold 9650. I use Berryweather, Quicklaunch, My Verizon, Docs to Go and Dictionary.com apps. They all work fine. That is not to say that all apps designed for use with OS 5 will work with OS 6. Some may not. But with the Torch out and other vendors getting ready to drop devices or upgrades for current devices, the developers have been busy getting ready.

That being said, I would suggest you upgrade to a device with OS 6. The new OS is much better than OS 5 IMHO.
    11-09-10 11:00 AM
    Well, after receiving an email from Barns and Noble, it doesn't appear that they will amend their app to include bb os 6 anytime soon as it's not the "industry standard". I'm really worried. I want to support blackberry but I don't want to give up my ebooks. It does appear the kindle should work since they show the torch as one of their supported devices.

11-09-10 06:25 PM
    So you going for a bold then, maybe? Only leaked versions of 6 currently, which are fine.
    AT+T=torch
    sprint=style
    These have 6 out of the box and the different variations of the bold have leaked versions. I have a bold on verizon and it is a piece of cake to go between os 5+6 on my bold. So you get a bold and try 6/333(latest(best)leak) if your apps don't work to your satisfaction you could revert back to 5. Down the road when bold has an official 6 released there may be better app support by then. That would be one option for you. All my apps work basically fine on 6 btw, but I don't have kindle and ebooks.
    11-09-10 10:28 PM
    The bold looks like a good option. Kindle is available for the torch so that makes it os 6 compatible and I'll still have sprint tv. After doing some digging around here I found mobil checkbook works on the style and there is a diet/fitness app. Worst case I use fatsecret which is online. I did some checking into the evo: bad battery, glitchy,HUGE (not going in the evening bag) and no spell check, that last one is a crime against humanity. Thanks everyone

11-11-10 08:17 AM
    Almost all apps that work on OS5 will work on OS6. I'm not 100% sure about B&N, but I'm sure it will.
    11-11-10 04:45 PM
    All of my apps work w/ OS 6 except Show Me the Images. I have FB, VVM, Ebay, Kik, callcontrol, Camera Mute, Google Maps, Newsy, FourSquare, Dictionary.com, DropBox, Screenmunch, Pandora, IheartRadio, etc.
    11-11-10 06:29 PM
    If Kindle doesn't work, that would be a problem for me. I also need FatSecret, Pandora, JiveTalk, YouTube Player, eBay, YouMail, ubertwitter, Dictionary, ProTranslateLite and a few others.

This is for when I get the 9780 next Wednesday. I'm not sure whether to use the "switch device" wizard or not.

Ubizmo

11-12-10 04:18 PM
    All of my apps work on BB6. Quick Launch, Berryweather, Poynt, BerryPopup, Pandora, Facebook, Scoremobile and Call Control.
    11-12-10 11:34 PM
    If Kindle doesn't work, that would be a problem for me. I also need FatSecret, Pandora, JiveTalk, YouTube Player, eBay, YouMail, ubertwitter, Dictionary, ProTranslateLite and a few others.

This is for when I get the 9780 next Wednesday. I'm not sure whether to use the "switch device" wizard or not.

Ubizmo

I can tell you that Kindle, eBay, YouMail, ubertwitter, Dictionary and many others do work with OS 6. OS 6 comes with a built in YouTube app so no worries there either...
    11-15-10 02:35 PM
    Just make sure that when you upgrade to OS6 you also switch versions and upgrade your apps to the OS6 version as well. I have terrible memory leaks with 333 and I have had to switch all my apps to the OS6 versions to try and stem the flow of memory from my device.

All the OS5 versions WORK but you need to install the proper ones for OS6.
    11-16-10 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD