I have a data plan on my bb so does this means bbm will still work when I'm away and apps like windows live ? Internet ? I also have unlimited texts but guessing I will have to pay for them and have free calls :/ x

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 04:34 AM
    Your data plan likely covers you when you (and your BlackBerry) are physically located within your coverage area. You don't say where you are located, but if your normal coverage area doesn't include France, then your data plan (including BBM) will not work there (or you will incur large roaming data fees). Same for SMS and calls.
    05-26-11 05:40 AM
    If you do not remove your original SIM card and use it over Wi-Fi, then yes, it will work.
    05-26-11 05:55 AM
    What Carrier are you on, and What is your plan?

Basically the way it works is your Carrier Plan USUALLY only covers you in your home country, and in some cases Home city.

When you are in France your BBM will be subject to Data fees at the France Rake Per MB. as a heavy BBM user when I limit myself to only txt BBM's no voicenotes, files, or pictures I use 1MB/day BBM
    MSN similar useage is about 3MB/day

Also watch your txt messaging plan! I have Unlimited incoming/outgoing text messages as long as I am in my home country, when I travel I must pay for both incoming and outgoing.
    05-26-11 06:12 AM
    I'm on 02 pay as u go ! Pay �10 for 100 minutes , unlimited texts and then pay �5 for data.I live in southampton x

05-26-11 06:18 AM
    Unfortunately I can't find data rates for O2 while traveling,
    You should contact your carrier to get your Data Rates.

Keep in mind you should limit your usage whilst traveling, as I mentioned above BBM is the cheapest communication tool when being billed for your data by consumption.
    05-26-11 06:28 AM
    Unfortunately I can't find data rates for O2 while traveling,
    You should contact your carrier to get your Data Rates.

Keep in mind you should limit your usage whilst traveling, as I mentioned above BBM is the cheapest communication tool when being billed for your data by consumption.
    Very very true, I remember being stuck at an airport in Germany waiting for my flight and I was using a European prepaid BIS SIM that charged data roaming in Germany...somehow with BBM and occasional MSN messenger I managed to make it throughout the entire night with just 5.50 Euros balance (when data roaming was 2 Euros per megabyte)
    05-26-11 06:33 AM
    So it should still work but it will probably run out sooner ?? X

05-26-11 06:40 AM
    So it should still work but it will probably run out sooner ?? X

In my case, it was a prepaid plan so it deducted it from a balance that I had to recharge.

You're probably a postpaid subscriber, in which case the charges would just accumulate and you'd have to pay it at the end of the month.
    05-26-11 06:45 AM
    I just pay the �15 and they take it all so won't have any money left to pay if its extra x

05-26-11 06:52 AM
    I don't know about O2 but Orange, Tmobile and Vodafone don't allow it outside UK on payg so I assume O2 is no diferent. You'd be better off starting a sim only 30 days contract.

05-26-11 07:36 AM
    I just pay the �15 and they take it all so won't have any money left to pay if its extra x

So it's a prepaid account?
    05-26-11 08:13 AM
    Just get a prepaid sim and use that for your trip.
    05-27-11 05:49 AM
    Just get a prepaid sim and use that for your trip.
    Will a Prepaid SIM include BBM in France?

Will she have access to moving her pin over easily?
    05-27-11 07:11 AM
    The "prepaid SIM" would need to include BlackBerry Data for BBM to work, of course.
    05-27-11 05:42 PM
    I have a data plan on my bb so does this means bbm will still work when I'm away and apps like windows live ? Internet ? I also have unlimited texts but guessing I will have to pay for them and have free calls :/ x

Everything will work but it will cost you a fortune. I suggest buying an unlocked 3GS iphone or an Android phone for cheap that is unlocked. When you get to France, you can buy a prepaid SIM card with data and will have internet and email for cheap.
    05-27-11 08:27 PM
    Everything will work but it will cost you a fortune. I suggest buying an unlocked 3GS iphone or an Android phone for cheap that is unlocked. When you get to France, you can buy a prepaid SIM card with data and will have internet and email for cheap.
    LOL, just LOL, roaming from UK to Europe usually costs �1.50 per 1mb, a text bbm is 2-3kb, there's 1024kb in 1mb, you do the math. Photos are sent in a 45kb format now with the option to request a higher quality version.

I fail to see how buying a 3GS can be cheaper then roaming with blackberry.

Just go enjoy your holiday OP man.
    05-28-11 03:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD