I upgraded my 9810 to 7.1.0.342, but i don't find hotspot in it. Its official i updated via BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Can some one help me?
    06-07-12 07:23 AM
    Carriers have the ability to block mobile hotspot with service books. Which carrier are you with?
    06-07-12 07:33 AM
    I'm on .391 and the HotSpot is there. You need to go to Manage Connections

06-07-12 07:38 AM
    I have contacted my carrier, but my handset is not carrier specific its factory unlocked. I have checked in Manage Connections its not there.. Should i install the leaked OS?

Iam on Ufone-Pakistan (Carrier)

Which Handset are you using Pete?
    06-07-12 07:40 AM
    I have contacted my carrier, but my handset is not carrier specific its factory unlocked. I have checked in Manage Connections its not there.. Should i install the leaked OS?

Iam on Ufone-Pakistan (Carrier)

Which Handset are you using Pete?
    My phone is a factory unlocked (VendorID: 301) 9810. Type <Alt><LeftShift>H to see the VendorId. Each carrier has a different number. Factory unlocked for sale in UK (and maybe elswhere) is 301.
    06-07-12 08:29 AM
    It doesn't matter if its unbranded or not. Carriers don't put any extra hardware on the device, it's all done wirelessly. So if your carried/data plan does not support it then you don't get the service.
    06-07-12 08:59 AM
    Factory unlocked for sale in UK (and maybe elswhere) is 301.
    That's correct Pete.
    Vendor ID 301 is for Carphone Warehouse UK, Spain, France, and Netherlands.
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 06-07-12 at 12:42 PM.
    Pete6 likes this.
    06-07-12 10:00 AM
    Vendor ID: is 600 . My carrier hasn't blocked it thats what i'am sure about, and i have not bought my phone from my carrier i bought it from open market.
    06-07-12 12:19 PM
    Vendor ID: is 600 . My carrier hasn't blocked it thats what i'am sure about, and i have not bought my phone from my carrier i bought it from open market.
    Your carrier might not have blocked Mobile Hotspot, but you don't have a device supplied by your carrier so that argument is moot.
    Vendor ID 600 is used by several carriers (Wataniya Kuwait/GO Mobile/Mobinil/Warid/Etisalat Nigeria/Oman Mobile/Zain Jordan/Telenor Pakistan/Mobilecom/Zain Nigeria/Zain Malawi/Cellplus/Batelco/GeoCell/Zain Kuwait/Ufone/EMS/Emtel/Nawras) so Mobile Hotspot might be blocked by them. It might also require a specific service book to enable the feature, one that you're not getting from your carrier because you don't have one of their devices.
    Pete6 likes this.
    06-07-12 12:50 PM
    It doesn't matter if its unbranded or not. Carriers don't put any extra hardware on the device, it's all done wirelessly. So if your carried/data plan does not support it then you don't get the service.
    Branding does matter, a bit. Here's why. The key is software, not hardware. The key is the VendorID that is permanent to each Blackberry.

Carriers are each assigned an unique VendorId by RIM. When you install an OS, the installer looks at the phone's VendorID and installs any carrier specific stuff like carrier themes and AT&T's PushToTalk option.

By doing this, carriers can put stuff onto a phone just for them.

There is another thing too that is unrelated to the VendorId and it is the Service Books. These are little files send by the carrier via BIS and on the phone they enable and configure various services. Verizon used to disable GPS on their phones for all software except their own.

I believ that the Hotspot option was simply left out of some OS leaks. I do not know why. I do not know if this can be disabled by either the OS or, the carrier but, a vanilla unbranded phone is far, far less likely to be "interfered with" by either an OS install or, less so by the carriers BIS configutarion.
    06-07-12 01:55 PM
    Pete6 so you say your not sure that my device has it blocked from carrier or its a software problem, but whats the solution can i install that service book manually? or by any change from the network Telenor Pakistan, which is not my current network?
    Or should i try to install some other OS version which comes with hotspot?
    06-08-12 02:05 AM
    Pete6 so you say your not sure that my device has it blocked from carrier or its a software problem, but whats the solution can i install that service book manually? or by any change from the network Telenor Pakistan, which is not my current network?
    Or should i try to install some other OS version which comes with hotspot?
    I'm not sure what the problem is here. My best guess is that the OS you have simply does not have the HotSpot included.

Since my 9810 is running OS 7.1.0.391, I think that I would try to find an OS that is later than the one you are running.

I am guessing here as I can't see your phone and have no idea what/if your carrier has or even could have blocked the hotspot.

Phill seems to think that they have not. Phill knows a lot of stuff so, I would believ him.

Honestly the best route seems to be an OS upgrade. Be prepared to try a couple of different ones though to make sure that you get one that works. I would also read the threads in the forums relating to each OS to se if other have made hotspot work.

Finally, you should be aware that your carrier may well charge you for hotspot use. Carriers can identify hotspot use since hotspot network traffic goes out over a different port to browser traffic from the BlackBerry. This provides a nice revenue stream for the carriers. So watch your costs once it works. Most carriers have a hotspot option whereby they charge you per month for use. You should check this out before you download a load of movies.
    06-08-12 03:16 AM
    Thanks alot for the help pete. you have provided me lots of information, i'll do keep a watch once it works. Can you tell me where can i download 7.1.0.391 os and try it on my phone hope it works for me?
    06-09-12 02:38 AM
    Thanks alot for the help pete. you have provided me lots of information, i'll do keep a watch once it works. Can you tell me where can i download 7.1.0.391 os and try it on my phone hope it works for me?
    https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...C068A355BBA31A
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 06-09-12 at 04:52 AM.
    06-09-12 04:50 AM
    Ok i downloaded the version you told me and installed it on my pc, but when i plug in my phone, the update option on BlackBerry Desktop Manager is not there.
    06-09-12 09:18 AM
    Ok i downloaded the version you told me and installed it on my pc, but when i plug in my phone, the update option on BlackBerry Desktop Manager is not there.
    Have you deleted the Vendor.xml files ?

Iour info does not say which carrier you are with but I'm guessing it itn't Rogers which is the OS you have downloaded.

If this is the case, delete the Vendor files and the new OS will show up in DM.

If you aren't sure how to do this manually run this ool:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-files-709738/
    06-09-12 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD