I found this while perusing the Developers Conference Blog, a lot of new users have trouble understanding what all the browsers are for, so here is a break down.

5 browser names and their various aliases:
    1. BlackBerry Browser (�Corporate MDS�, �MDS�, �Enterprise�)
    2. Internet Browser (�Public MDS�, �BIS-B�)
    3. WAP Browser
    4. Hotspot Browser (�Wi-Fi Browser�)
    5. Unite Browser
    1. BlackBerry Browser
    • Only available if device is connected to a BES at your company
    • All traffic goes through the MDS-CS component of your company�s BES server
    • Can access resources inside your company�s firewall, such as intranets and desktop PCs
    • However, it�s also restricted by that same same firewall, just like the PC at your desk
    • All of the other browsers are outside the firewall
    2. Internet Browser
    • Virtually every device has this browser; no corporate BES connection or email setup required
    • All traffic goes through one of a few MDS-CS servers hosted by RIM
    • Sometimes requires that an APN be setup in order to work (on GSM networks)
    3. WAP Browser
    • All traffic goes through the WAP gateway hosted by the carrier
    • This is the only route where no RIM-owned servers or RIM-produced software are used during communication
    • WAP gateways vary from carrier to carrier, making problems often difficult to resolve
    • No MDS-CS present to perform content optimization; entire web page is sent to the device
    4. Hotspot Browser
    • Uses Wi-Fi network to route traffic
    • Sometimes goes through the BES�s MDS-CS and sometimes just on the local network
    • Device setup makes this route somewhat unpredictable
    • Generally very fast throughput, making pages load more quickly than all other browsers
    5. Unite Browser
    • All traffic goes through the MDS-CS server running on the Unite server on your home computer
    Common Problems When Using the Incorrect Browser
    1. The web page won�t load
      • web site is inside the firewall and you�re not using the BlackBerry Browser
      • web site is blocked by your company�s firewall and you are using the BlackBerry Browser
      • web site is carrier-specific and you�re not using the WAP Browser
      • web site is hosted on your home PC and you�re not using the Unite browser
    2. Far more data than required may be downloaded
      • when data flows through MDS-CS it is optimized for the device, including reducing image sizes, compressing text, and optimizing the HTML DOM tree
      • using the WAP Browser the entire web page must be downloaded, even if images are 30x the size of the screen
    3. Slow page rendering
      • data flowing through MDS-CS also undergoes optimization, such as pre-compiling JavaScript and modifying the HTML layout for a smaller screen size, increasing layout speeds
      • using WAP Browser forces the device to do this work, which takes longer
    4. Larger financial cost
      • since more data is transmitted when using WAP, plans that pay per megabyte will be more expensive
      • Wi-Fi is generally free, so using it instead of cellular network saves money as well
    10-21-08 07:45 PM
    Good post Bla1ze...
    10-21-08 07:51 PM
    Can't take the credit...just copied it from the Dev Blog..but it is indeed useful.
    10-21-08 07:54 PM
    great info
    10-21-08 07:55 PM
    and I LOVE that new banner in your sig!
    10-21-08 07:56 PM
    ...2. Internet Browser
    • Virtually every device has this browser; no corporate BES connection or email setup required
    • All traffic goes through one of a few MDS-CS servers hosted by RIM
    • Sometimes requires that an APN be setup in order to work (on GSM networks)
    What is the APN, and how would I go abouts setting it up if required (on Rogers network currently)?
    10-21-08 10:42 PM
    What is the APN, and how would I go abouts setting it up if required (on Rogers network currently)?
    It's how your device determines which WAP netwrk to connect to also known as Access Point Name

The Rogers APN is..

internet.com
    User: Blank
    Pass: Blank

You can access it by going to Settings/Options/Advanced Options/TCP, but in most cases it's no longer needed on the rogers network, I have 12 apps on my bold, none of which need it, as most will auto configure it and Rogers assigns it to your device anyways it's transparent to you.
    10-22-08 02:42 AM
    Very useful and interesting post.
    10-22-08 09:32 AM
    Hi, thanks for the post.
    Can all models do WiFi? and if so, how do I enable it?
    10-22-08 09:46 AM
    Ok, all interesting.

I have better internet access with
    APN internet
    User blank
    Pass blank
    while Tmobile says it should be 3 times blank.

In Options/ Adv Options/ Browsers I find:

Default browser configuration: t-zones or web-n-walk browser
    Default MDS browser conf: (only choise) web-n-walk browser
    Default WAP browser conf: (only choise) t-zones

What is all that about then?
    And what does the Opera Mini use then?
    10-22-08 09:48 AM
    Hi, thanks for the post.
    Can all models do WiFi? and if so, how do I enable it?
    no the xx20 models have wifi and xx10 have gps
    10-22-08 09:55 AM
    no the xx20 models have wifi and xx10 have gps
    Thanks for the quick reply, so I have a 8130 and it has GPS, I guess you can't have both at the same time, eh? Too bad. Thanks!
    10-22-08 10:13 AM
    Hello,
    I'm a brand new blackberry/crackberry user/member. I don't know if this has been addressed in another post, but I have Rogers service and no data plan on my Blackberry as I use my laptop to surf. I was hoping that since the Bold had WiFi I'd be able to use it without having to be routed through Rogers service. I've also set up the connection to my wireless Sympatico router while at home.

How can I configure this as Rogers Blackberry IT advised it was but they couldn't tell me how... other than to use data without my SIM card loaded. My Bold is unlocked btw.

Thanks.. will be studying a lot on here as time permits!
    Last edited by sueberry9000; 10-22-08 at 09:20 PM. Reason: missed info
    10-22-08 09:17 PM
    Does any particular browser activate GPRS data transfer which is charged per KB basis. I have an unlimited per month package but still my bill is growing even when I dont make calls.

Hopefully my question is clear.
    10-28-08 08:22 AM
    I have an 8320. Is there any way to make the browser automatically switch from Internet to Hotspot when I am using WiFi and back when I am not?
    11-01-08 04:02 PM
    i have a problem my 8830 dont call any other phone but he receive calls and send and receive sms i have this message when i try to call "Authorization failure".
    thanks for your help
    11-06-08 05:22 AM
    by any chance does it say..."your call is being redirected to sprint customer finance"
    :-P
    try calling sprint to make sure that you dont have a block on your phone of any sort
    11-06-08 05:45 AM
    ===
    Hotspot Browser

* Uses Wi-Fi network to route traffic
    * Generally very fast throughput, making pages load more quickly than all other browsers
    ====

WiFi connects fine for me but still uses the 'Internet Browser' config not "WiFi/Hotspot Browser" config, unless I manually disable the carrier connection.

However I find a disadvange of the "WiFi/Hotspot Browser" (when I force it on) is *because* it doesn't use RIM servers as a proxy to reduce the amount of data sent and the other clever stuff, as a result I find the "WiFi/Hotspot Browser" *slower* even though the underlying connection is faster, as the BB spends so long processing all that extra data and rendering the pages.
    Last edited by wibblyw; 11-06-08 at 07:27 AM.
    11-06-08 07:24 AM
    Thanks for this post! very informative!
    11-08-08 03:01 AM
    How can i make sure that I use WiFi when I'm connected on both WiFi and Mobile Network, without deactivating the Mobile Network?? It is really confusing!
    11-10-08 04:24 AM
    Hiya

I blindly bought a Blackberry 9000 (Bold) from owning an N95, not realising it introduced a whole different ball game as far as internet access was required. Unfortunately, I just looked at phone spec's and did not investigate how it works etc so did not even know about the need to purchase a blackberry call plan (I'm with Orange, and they didn't tell me a thing about call plans). I am not wi fi capable on my pc yet (will change shortly) and am completely ignorant about a lot of the information I need to know to decide whether its worth keeping my blackberry.

I am still waiting to register my phone on the blackberry.orange site and have been unable to get opera mini installed on my phone - can't find the darn 'accept' button on the terms and conditions (honest, I have looked and looked, suspect its due to the fact that I have limited net capabilities because my phone is as yet not net capable while waiting to be able to register on the blackberry.orange site.

Obviously i need to learn how to use my phone properly asap to make a decision and wonder if anyone has any links to any sites with information for newbies to the blackberry set up. Am working my way thru this site but am finding I am often more mystified when I finish an article than I was before I read it due to my lack of technical know how.

Don't misunderstand me, I am prepared to work at it but am handicapped by my complete newbieness lol.
    11-13-08 02:15 AM
    11-13-08 02:19 AM
    Sorry for the mis posting (multi-tasking and stressed). Thank u for that Blackberry 101 link.., working thru it now and its exactly what I was looking for but didn't find somehow. Beginning to wonder if I have forgotten everything I've ever known about the net lolol.
    11-13-08 02:55 AM
    How can i make sure that I use WiFi when I'm connected on both WiFi and Mobile Network, without deactivating the Mobile Network?? It is really confusing!
    Anyone ?????
    11-13-08 02:58 AM
    I have the exact same question lol
    11-14-08 10:06 AM
139 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD