First of all, not everyone who uses SMS has the option to use IM apps on their phones. So IM is not always an option. Additionally, they make aps for stock quotes and news flashes, so why don't you use those instead of SMS alerts?

Second, RIM's "core customers" are LARGE business accounts, and SMS is not an issue in most cases. I've had a BB for work for probably 5 years, and I've sent one SMS. Most large business accounts are the same way.

Third, if it was easy to program an "on/off" button into threaded SMS, they probably could have added it to older OSes as well. Because they haven't, I'd have to guess that it's not "15 minutes of code."

Finally, if you want support for your position, don't make others Google it. It makes you look lazy. And google "Elvis sightings" or "alien abductions" and you will see a LOT of support as well.

All that said, I'd like to see support for connecting to your computer and supporting it remotely.
    Wow, Jef. I'm impressed with that well thought out post. I guess even a blind pig finds the trough every once in a while.

Something I would add to 5.X would be, greater flexibility to turn on/off features that are in a theme. I know the today option is in there, but I would like to see that expanded.

Customizable icons for each program as well.

Granted those two aren't make or break, but hey, I think it would add a coolness factor...
    01-11-10 02:59 PM
    Funny you should use a pig reference, silly hick.

01-11-10 03:07 PM
    Friggin townie.
    01-11-10 03:08 PM
    Barbarians
    01-11-10 06:10 PM
    Barbarians

I hear tell you�re doin� well,
    Good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm,
    And you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 06:17 PM
    First of all, not everyone who uses SMS has the option to use IM apps on their phones.
    Irrelevant. ALL Blackberrys do and SMS wasn't designed to be an IM app. Not sure why you are struggling with this.

Second, RIM's "core customers" are LARGE business accounts, and SMS is not an issue in most cases.
    And your documented source for this completely wild conclusion is? Post the link to your data here ---->

Third, if it was easy to program an "on/off" button into threaded SMS, they probably could have added it to older OSes as well.
    More irrelevancy. RIM dramatically altered the functionality of SMS on their devices clearly without thinking through the impact. The issue of people having strong distaste for threaded sms is not going away.

Finally, if you want support for your position, don't make others Google it. It makes you look lazy.
    I observed that there are numerous threads in numerous sites across the Internet where people are voicing strong oppostion to this threaded sms nonsense. I am under no obligation to prove every single point I ever make. I've been to a large number of sites where people are complaining. If my word on this is not enough, you can do your own research. It is not my responsibility to do your homework for you.

This post of yours is childish. I hope than as you continue to build your post count as a member here, your quality of posts improves. Attacking someone for bringing up concerns about a product is really not productive. If you like this threaded sms, fine. But attacking others for not sharing your opinion is not consistent with what CrackBerry is suppose to be about.
    01-11-10 08:36 PM
    threaded sms nonsense.
    This post of yours is childish.
    Just how many times did you use such terminology, to defend your opinion on this, and your own threads? You've attacked moderators for not sharing your opinion berry, and frankly your obsessive behavior on this subject is nothing but amusing. Quit being the pot, if you want to call the kettle black.

I hear tell you�re doin� well,
    Good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm,
    And you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

01-11-10 08:44 PM
    I'm one of many that like it i can see the conversation and if your that upset with it berryrite go get a iphone and we will see you back in two months...Can't make everyone happy...
    01-11-10 08:58 PM
    for 5.X:

-Faster OS
    -ability to turn off treaded SMS(ok ok... stop talking of that now...)
    -Custom Widgets(like on Mr T, but also on qwerty device)
    -better predictive imput than the actual 5.0
    -Tabbed browsing
    -Apps on the SD card is interesting but apps are so small and I always run over 85mb of free memory... So useless for me.
    01-11-10 09:01 PM
    I wish in OS 5.x
    1) Added Font Size 9.5 and 10.5 for both Screen and BB Browser (best is that the Font Size could be manually input by user liking in PC.)
    2) Tabbed Browser
    3) Option for threaded SMS or Classic SMS (I am not favor for threaded SMS.
    4) Recover Shortcut "D" for Browser
    Last edited by gerfan; 01-12-10 at 12:29 AM.
    01-11-10 11:00 PM
    Irrelevant. ALL Blackberrys do and SMS wasn't designed to be an IM app. Not sure why you are struggling with this.
    SMS has become an IM app. Not sure why you are struggling with this.

And your documented source for this completely wild conclusion is? Post the link to your data here ---->
    Gee, why don't you Google it yourself.

I observed that there are numerous threads in numerous sites across the Internet where people are voicing strong oppostion to this threaded sms nonsense. I am under no obligation to prove every single point I ever make. I've been to a large number of sites where people are complaining. If my word on this is not enough, you can do your own research. It is not my responsibility to do your homework for you.
    You are the one making the claim. Don't have the gall to come in here, make a statement like that, then tell us to do our homework. Either post your proof, or retract your claim.

This post of yours is childish. I hope than as you continue to build your post count as a member here, your quality of posts improves.
    This reaks of Ad homen attacks and irony all at the same time.

As for me and my situation, I've never used SMS on my work berry, ever, for anything. Every single one of my SMS's are of a personal nature on my personal berry.

I agree with you that there should be a setting in SMS to revert it back to classic, however, your lashing out at others on this board, and the elitism that you have on display, is unbecoming of someone of your like. I mean seriously, if it bothers you this much, seek professional help.

Last edited by -Haji-; 01-11-10 at 11:33 PM.
    01-11-10 11:27 PM
    [size=3][b][font=comicsans][color=#000066]Just how many times did you use such terminology, to defend your opinion on this, and your own threads? You've attacked moderators for not sharing your opinion.
    1.) You and a select group of others are playing the old tired game of ganging up on one member and attacking not for the purpose of knowledge and product discussion but for the fun of flaming. Now you are attracting newbees and encouraging them to disregard the forum rules to engage in personal attacks too.

2.) I never attacked a moderator at all and your claim is nonsense. Indeed I was sent a private message by a senior moderator apologizing for the poor behavior of several members on this site in another thread on this same topic.

The trend of people being attacked for trying to express a concern about a product flaw is regrettable and if this type of behavior continues it will adversely impact this forum.
    01-12-10 01:31 AM
    seek professional help.
    Your posting style is rude and not consistent with forum rules. I might suggest you refamiliarize yourself with the rules of the forum.
    01-12-10 01:34 AM
    I hope they fix this SMS thing fast, because soon my eyes will have rolled so far back into my head that the optic nerves will break and I'll be writing apps in braille.

Maybe we could focus on how we want the SMS app changed, it's already clear that there needs to be a threaded/unthreaded option. Before 5.0 came out there was so much talk "WHEN will we get threaded SMS?" and now it's "when can we get rid of it?" So we need the option, and as for the rest if you all come on down to S. Carolina you can pick a nice field and throw cotton at each other for a while, then go get some good local beer and become friends.

01-12-10 01:48 AM
    Maybe we could focus on how we want the SMS app changed, it's already clear that there needs to be a threaded/unthreaded option. Before 5.0 came out there was so much talk "WHEN will we get threaded SMS?" and now it's "when can we get rid of it?" So we need the option
    This seems simple actually. People who want this thing like what they have. People who don't want this thing, were happy before RIM pulled a fast one and changed it. The solution is simple. Create a classic version that is available by simply turning off the threaded function. Easy enough. And I'd agree, it needs to be done quickly because if you don't like this feature, it really ruins your user experience with your BlackBerry.
    01-12-10 02:24 AM
    This seems simple actually. People who want this thing like what they have. People who don't want this thing, were happy before RIM pulled a fast one and changed it. The solution is simple. Create a classic version that is available by simply turning off the threaded function. Easy enough. And I'd agree, it needs to be done quickly because if you don't like this feature, it really ruins your user experience with your BlackBerry.
    I suppose it would probably not work to just replace that module in the OS with the old one? I checked and there is a distinct module for SMS and another for the SMS user interface. I'm not into hacking OS's, but maybe just slapping the 4.7.1 modules into 5.0 would do it.
    Last edited by LSphone; 01-13-10 at 01:57 AM. Reason: checked module
    01-12-10 02:52 AM
    Your posting style is rude and not consistent with forum rules. I might suggest you refamiliarize yourself with the rules of the forum.
    Practice what you preach:

Examples:

This post of yours is childish. I hope than as you continue to build your post count as a member here, your quality of posts improves.
    You have a short memory
    Both of these posts are rude and not consistent with forum rules. I might suggest YOU refamiliarize yourself with the rules of the forum.

Also, I'm still waiting on your links.

And lastly, learn to debate a little, and see others position. Don't toss people on ignore at the first sign of a good debate against your position. I get your position, I understand it, and I agree, the option should be in there. But polluting every single SMS related thread with "they better change this or else it's the last berry I will ever own" is not constructive to the thread. We all understand your position.
    01-12-10 07:06 AM
    Wow, Kris. I'm impressed with that well thought out post. I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    01-12-10 07:20 AM
    Also, be able to get to the alt character by hitting the key again without having to hit Alt.
    Just try typing "Mississippi" quickly and you will see why that may not be the best idea.
    01-12-10 07:28 AM
    First of all, not everyone who uses SMS has the option to use IM apps on their phones. So IM is not always an option. Additionally, they make aps for stock quotes and news flashes, so why don't you use those instead of SMS alerts?

Second, RIM's "core customers" are LARGE business accounts, and SMS is not an issue in most cases. I've had a BB for work for probably 5 years, and I've sent one SMS. Most large business accounts are the same way.
    This logic only works if you assume everyone uses smartphones with full features, and alert services are prepared to offer a range of alerting methods. In reality that covers maybe 20% of the world's phones. For a message provider, the lowest common method is always preferred, so if there is any alert service it will have SMS. A few also provide more advanced methods like email, but if you want to be as sure as possible then SMS is the default standard.

Let me give you one simple example for why lowest common denominator is the gold standard. I have just returned home from a deployment to a "developing country". In fact it had one of the highest per capita income levels and literacy rates in Africa, but the cellular service is pure GSM with no GPRS, no 3G, no data, no RIM service whatsoever. Just voice and SMS. The airline was still able to send a flight update using the only message service available so it was waiting when I moved back into the coverage area. I reached the airport on time - and that matters if the next flight is 3 days later.

Does that mean some are wrong to want threaded SMS? Not at all, no more right or wrong than those who say they don't want it or can't use it.
    01-12-10 07:57 AM
    On topic please, or the mods might start to get mean. If you want to debate it, debate the products and suggestions, not the people.

Wishlist for the next 5.x OS release
    01-12-10 08:10 AM
    Just try typing "Mississippi" quickly and you will see why that may not be the best idea.
    OK, then, I'm still for switching the Shift keys to Alts and the Alt key to Caps Lock.
    01-13-10 01:58 AM
    More user-defined graphic elements that are theme-independent. Like separate wallpapers for home/app/lock screen. Color options. Homescreen icon layouts (nothing complicated, grid size & count seems a simple solution) Banner placement options, etc. I'm not saying load down the memory with icon variants, just ... Options to mess with what's already there.

Some of us look at the thing every five minutes.

Last edited by boobah204; 01-13-10 at 03:13 AM.
    01-13-10 03:06 AM
    An option to format how you want your time stamp (hh:mm) or (hh:mm:ss) in Messages.

In 5.0 it only shows the hh:mm
    In 4.6 it showed hh:mm:ss

It would also need to say as an example, ' Sent 10 minutes & "5 seconds" ago ' (but real-time as your cursor moves between messages)

Might seem a little weird, but I kind of miss seeing how fast I typed a response. :P
    Last edited by NCanio; 01-14-10 at 02:23 PM.
    01-14-10 02:15 PM
    An option to format how you want your time stamp (hh:mm) or (hh:mm:ss) in Messages.

In 5.0 it only shows the hh:mm
    In 4.6 it showed hh:mm:ss

It would also need to say as an example, ' Sent 10 minutes & "5 seconds" ago ' (but real-time as your cursor moves between messages)

Might seem a little weird, but I kind of miss seeing how fast I typed a response. :P
    Yeah I wish there was a more specific timestamp, and I wish each text in the thread displayed the time sent like it does in BBM.

01-14-10 10:11 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD