01-18-10 08:50 PM
52 123
tools
    OK, we're at 5.0. Support RIM came to you and said, we want your input for the first update to 5.0, let's call it 5.X .

What would you want added or changed?

I'll start... I prefer the old homescreen with smaller icons, rather than the big icons, because more could fit on the screen. Maybe the big icons are necessary on touchscreen devices for people with big fingers, but there could be an option for "finger size" and then the phone would adjust for your use. More small icons for small people, bigger icons but fewer for the giants.
    01-10-10 01:57 PM
    I'd like the ability to push my most used contacts to the top of the Contacts book without having to buy a 3rd party app.
    01-10-10 03:09 PM
    OK, we're at 5.0. Support RIM came to you and said, we want your input for the first update to 5.0, let's call it 5.X .

What would you want added or changed?
    The horrible threaded sms MUST GO. If RIM wants to add an on-off feature, that's fine but the ability to get this off of your BlackBerry MUST be given to users who find this annoying and irritating. I despise this threaded sms and unless RIM fixes this problem, I will never again buy another BlackBerry.
    01-10-10 11:43 PM
    berryite, I can't for the life of me understand why something that cleans up an in-box, can be so offensive to you, but I'll ask for it just for you.

What I would like to see is tabbed browsing, and the ability to store and use apps from the SD card.
    01-11-10 12:00 AM
    berryite, I can't for the life of me understand why something that cleans up an in-box, can be so offensive to you, but I'll ask for it just for you.
    If you are involved with idle chit-chat with predictable contacts on an ongoing basis, then I can understand why you might like this feature. You could also do the same thing in an IM app which afterall is what IM apps are for. SMS was never designed or intended to be an IM app.

However, if you are a serious business user and get stock and news updates, this badly written threaded sms code is not something that "cleans up an in box" but something that makes handling sms stock quotes and newsflashes twice as much work to handle and gangs messages together with no rhyme or reason.

If you bother to Google this topic, you will find that it is a growing source of serious irritation among LOTS of people who do not like this poorly written code and want it off their devices ASAP.
    01-11-10 12:11 AM
    If you are involved with idle chit-chat with predictable contacts on an ongoing basis, then I can understand why you might like this feature. You could also do the same thing in an IM app which afterall is what IM apps are for. SMS was never designed or intended to be an IM app.

However, if you are a serious business user and get stock and news updates, this badly written threaded sms code is not something that "cleans up an in box" but something that makes handling sms stock quotes and newsflashes twice as much work to handle and gangs messages together with no rhyme or reason.

If you bother to Google this topic, you will find that it is a growing source of serious irritation among LOTS of people who do not like this poorly written code and want it off their devices ASAP.
    I don't use it for "idle chit chat" as you say, and have no need to google it. You explain the issue so well for me, why bother.
    01-11-10 12:17 AM
    I don't use it for "idle chit chat" as you say, and have no need to google it.
    Well I can guarantee you that you don't use your SMS for news and stock updates because if you did, you'd be screaming to get this code off your phone.
    01-11-10 12:28 AM
    Actually, you would probably be stunned to see what messages Wulf gets and the mass quantities of such.

It might be annoying to a few folks, but it has been highly in demand for some time.

An ability to turn it on and off might have it's uses, but I don't see 30 threads a week here demanding that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 12:33 AM
    It might be annoying to a few folks, but it has been highly in demand for some time.

An ability to turn it on and off might have it's uses, but I don't see 30 threads a week here demanding that.
    High demand by a small handful of folks perhaps. I guarantee you that if the general population knew in advance that RIM was going to screw them with this code, there would have been a HUGE outcry.

And again I suggest that if you think those of us who despise this new threaded sms are just a few people, you need to Google this topic. The scores of people complaining about this threaded sms is growing by the day.

I'm already in the market looking for something to replace my 9700. I simply cannot live with this threaded sms. It is just horrible.
    01-11-10 12:43 AM
    It's not a personal attack on you
    Your post are consistently critical of me and never in support of any postiion I ever take. I'm putting you on ignore. Please do the same. I'm really not interested in your steady drumbeat of critical comments and put downs.
    01-11-10 12:47 AM
    Well I can guarantee you that you don't use your SMS for news and stock updates because if you did, you'd be screaming to get this code off your phone.
    Here berry, let me help you out

You may not like it, and among the millions with phones providing threaded SMS may find others who don't, but don't think for a second you know what I've got in my message box. I do hope, for your happiness, they make it optional. Then we'll all be happy.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

01-11-10 12:51 AM
    May I just tap this thread back on-topic? We've noted that an SMS threading enable/disable option is needed.
    01-11-10 12:52 AM
    I do hope, for your happiness, they make it optional. Then we'll all be happy.
    Amazing how simple free choice is. Rather than arguing that someone shouldn't not like a feature, it is simple, logical and practical just to agree to allow them to turn something off.

We might be making some progress here.
    01-11-10 12:54 AM
    May I just tap this thread back on-topic? We've noted that an SMS threading enable/disable option is needed.
    LMAO! *the place where Satan turned SMS into threaded* yes you can.

I hear tell you’re doin’ well,
    Good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm,
    And you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

01-11-10 12:55 AM
    I have not put you down.
    You have a short memory and your personal attacks are off topic and against forum rules. Please take a moment to update yourself with forum rules. Your behavior here is against forum rules.
    01-11-10 01:00 AM
    Amazing how simple free choice is. Rather than arguing that someone shouldn't not like a feature, it is simple, logical and practical just to agree to allow them to turn something off.

We might be making some progress here.
    If you read my first post again, I said as much. This really does need to get back on topic. Do you have a hate threaded SMS thread we can hijack instead?

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

01-11-10 01:00 AM
    So back on topic, I would like to see better streaming capabilities.

01-11-10 01:20 AM
    A solid flash media capability.

Last edited by BergerKing; 01-11-10 at 01:28 AM.
    01-11-10 01:26 AM
    So back on topic, I would like to see better streaming capabilities.

Yay! LS will be so proud. Exelant request too.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-11-10 01:27 AM
    Tethering that shares the network with the phone, so messages can be received and sent while the phone is hooked to the computer, stock app still works, etc.

Also, get tethering to work on Verizon, it doesn't work with 5.0 with VZaccess Manager
    01-11-10 03:24 AM

First of all, not everyone who uses SMS has the option to use IM apps on their phones. So IM is not always an option. Additionally, they make aps for stock quotes and news flashes, so why don't you use those instead of SMS alerts?

Second, RIM's "core customers" are LARGE business accounts, and SMS is not an issue in most cases. I've had a BB for work for probably 5 years, and I've sent one SMS. Most large business accounts are the same way.

Third, if it was easy to program an "on/off" button into threaded SMS, they probably could have added it to older OSes as well. Because they haven't, I'd have to guess that it's not "15 minutes of code."

Finally, if you want support for your position, don't make others Google it. It makes you look lazy. And google "Elvis sightings" or "alien abductions" and you will see a LOT of support as well.

All that said, I'd like to see support for connecting to your computer and supporting it remotely.
    01-11-10 06:06 AM
    First of all, not everyone who uses SMS has the option to use IM apps on their phones. So IM is not always an option. Additionally, they make aps for stock quotes and news flashes, so why don't you use those instead of SMS alerts?

Second, RIM's "core customers" are LARGE business accounts, and SMS is not an issue in most cases. I've had a BB for work for probably 5 years, and I've sent one SMS. Most large business accounts are the same way.

Third, if it was easy to program an "on/off" button into threaded SMS, they probably could have added it to older OSes as well. Because they haven't, I'd have to guess that it's not "15 minutes of code."

Finally, if you want support for your position, don't make others Google it. It makes you look lazy. And google "Elvis sightings" or "alien abductions" and you will see a LOT of support as well.

All that said, I'd like to see support for connecting to your computer and supporting it remotely.
    Very well said, Jef.

I would love to see a faster and more responsive radio (.419 is a start on the right path though)/tabbed browsing and had a brain fart so I'm done..
    01-11-10 06:51 AM
    On the flip side of Jef's request, as a developer I'd like to be able to connect to a user's phone remotely with a debugger to see what's going wrong, just like I can connect to a local phone with a USB cable.
    01-11-10 07:27 AM
    Oh. And changeable keyboard maps, so we can switch the Alt and Shift keys. Actually I'd make both shift keys Alt's and the Alt key Caps Lock, and forget the shift keys -- who needs them, capitalization is automatic anyway, and when it's not you just hold the letter.

Also, be able to get to the alt character by hitting the key again without having to hit Alt.
    01-11-10 07:29 AM
    You have a short memory and your personal attacks are off topic and against forum rules. Please take a moment to update yourself with forum rules. Your behavior here is against forum rules.
    And not everything you do and/or say on these forums are 100% in perfect alingment with the TOS either.

and Please Master Jedi teach me the ways of the force.

Anyway i'd honestly like to see
    1-the ability to put Apps on a SD card, encrypted no doubt,
    2-I love the threaded SMS for the 5.0 OS, looks AMAZING and does exactly what it should do. Leave it alone, people screamed for it for months, you did it.... leave it alone.
    3-i'd love to see the ability to make custom themes directly from the phone, or at least modifiy the ones we have
    4-add the ability to se widgets... loved em on my cliq...we need em on our RIM devices.

01-11-10 01:09 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD