I'm trying to find a phone to buy when I can no longer use my 9320. I want it to have most of the following features:

* Not an iPhone
    * 4G or 5G
    * Unlocked
    * Screen size under 6 inches (preferable)
    * Keyboard (preferable)
    * Notification LED (preferable)
    * Removable battery (preferable)
    * Headphone jack
    * FM radio
    * MP3 and Ogg player
    * microSD slot
    * Camera (quality doesn't matter)
    * MMS
    * Web browser
    * PDF viewer

If I buy an Android, I'll use it without a Google account for privacy.
    10-05-22 01:09 AM
    I'm trying to find a phone to buy when I can no longer use my 9320. I want it to have most of the following features:

* Not an iPhone
    * 4G or 5G
    * Unlocked
    * Keyboard (preferable)
    * Headphone jack
    * FM radio
    * MP3 and Ogg player
    * microSD slot
    * MMS
    * Web browser
    * PDF viewer

Only choice for would be the Unihertz phones and even then your Google anxiety will give you issues.

But then again, nobody is making the phone you are looking for.
    10-05-22 01:19 AM
    It doesn't need to have a keyboard - being able to use it with no Google account is more important.
    10-05-22 02:31 AM
    It doesn't need to have a keyboard - being able to use it with no Google account is more important.
    Well then Apple is your answer. Neither ecosystem really supports not using a personal account.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-22 06:33 AM
    I think Pixels accept an alternative OS that doesn't require Google. CalyxOS or something like that. Oddly, since the phones are made by Google.

SD cards and headphone jacks are becoming difficult.
    10-05-22 07:47 AM
    10-05-22 07:49 AM

* Not an iPhone
    * 4G or 5G
    * Unlocked
    * Keyboard (preferable)
    * Headphone jack
    * FM radio
    * MP3 and Ogg player
    * microSD slot
    * MMS
    * Web browser
    * PDF viewer

Your preferences are now far removed from what is offered in (and desired by) the market.

Your actual starting point should be what device will provide security for the next 5 years. Only three manufacturers can accommodate: Apple, Samsung, and Google.

You give up an awful lot by going off book.

I'd take a very hard look at the Pixel 6a. Just max out all of your privacy settings, protect your Google account with a strong password and two-factor authentication, and use a tracker blocker like Netguard.
    Last edited by conite; 10-05-22 at 08:40 AM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    10-05-22 08:30 AM
    Well then Apple is your answer. Neither ecosystem really supports not using a personal account.
    I'd never use an iPhone.

I thought Android could be used without a Google account, just with no Google services.
    10-05-22 09:59 AM
    I'd take a very hard look at the Pixel 6a. Just max out all of your privacy settings, protect your Google account with a strong password and two-factor authentication, and use a tracker blocker like Netguard.
    I don't want to create a Google account (due to ad targeting and Google being a monopoly) or buy a phone made by the company I want to avoid.
    10-05-22 10:02 AM
    SD cards and headphone jacks are becoming difficult.
    I looked at the Samsung A22 5G, which has both, but I think the screen is too large.
    10-05-22 10:10 AM
    A pixel phone running GrapheneOS is as close as you are going to get to your wish. There is plenty of information online about GrapheneOS, what it offers and how it works.

Graphene can be used with or without a google account. Different user profiles allow separation of services / uses to add extra security/ privacy.

Pixel phones are the only phones that GrapheneOS can be installed on.
    10-05-22 11:02 AM
    I looked at the Samsung A22 5G, which has both, but I think the screen is too large.
    Samsung is a Google phone.
    10-05-22 12:22 PM
    I don't want to create a Google account (due to ad targeting and Google being a monopoly) or buy a phone made by the company I want to avoid.
    You can't avoid both Apple and Google. They are the only games in town.

If you want to go off-grid, then the choices are limited and extremely crippled.

You can buy a Pixel 6a and put CalyxOS or GrapheneOS on it (no Google), but you are giving up compatibility with many (most?) apps.
    10-05-22 12:23 PM
    Samsung is a Google phone.
    I don't mind buying an Android - I just don't want to use a Google account or buy a phone made by Google.
    10-05-22 12:46 PM
    You can buy a Pixel 6a and put CalyxOS or GrapheneOS on it (no Google), but you are giving up compatibility with many (most?) apps.
    Thank you for suggesting this.

I don't want to use a custom OS - I just want to use Android with no account.
    10-05-22 12:49 PM

Well then that won't do anything at all. That will only prevent you from doing backups and will remove anti-theft protection. If you are using Google Services you will still be tracked. In reality, you are either in or out.

You're actually better to have a (dummy?) Google account, and then customize and minimize your privacy settings.

If you can't accept that, then a custom non-Google OS is your ONLY solution. And for that, you need a Pixel anyway, as the two best (CalyxOS and GrapheneOS) only work on them.
    Last edited by conite; 10-05-22 at 01:14 PM.
    10-05-22 12:52 PM
    If you are using Google Services you will still be tracked. In reality, you are either in or out.
    I was planning to disable GPS and face recognition, install an ad blocker and replace Chrome with Firefox.
    I'd also replace other Google services.

Would this not help?
    10-05-22 01:33 PM

https://e.foundation/e-os/#:~:text=%...earch%20engine

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/i-use...-pros-and-cons
    10-05-22 01:41 PM
    Well then that won't do anything at all. That will only prevent you from doing backups and will remove anti-theft protection. If you are using Google Services you will still be tracked. In reality, you are either in or out.

You're actually better to have a (dummy?) Google account, and then customize and minimize your privacy settings.

If you can't accept that, then a custom non-Google OS is your ONLY solution. And for that, you need a Pixel anyway, as the two best (CalyxOS and GrapheneOS) only work on them.
    Besides those OS's you could also just use Lineage without Google Apps but, again, lots of limitations.
    10-05-22 01:43 PM
    Is there a way to make this look less like iOS?
    10-05-22 01:53 PM
    Is there a way to make this look less like iOS?
    No idea - as you can see, the supported devices are limited to about 15 or so (older devices mostly) and some brand new, mostly generic hardware.
    10-05-22 02:05 PM
    I was planning to disable GPS and face recognition, install an ad blocker and replace Chrome with Firefox.
    I'd also replace other Google services.

Would this not help?
    Then use an alternative OS. All you'd be doing is crippling a stock OS, where others are optimised to properly run in this configuration - with alternate security and backup features that won't be disabled.
    10-05-22 02:09 PM
    No idea - as you can see, the supported devices are limited to about 15 or so (older devices mostly) and some brand new, mostly generic hardware.
    That's why there is nothing like CalyxOS and GrapheneOS - they support modern/current Pixel hardware.
    10-05-22 02:10 PM
    That's why there is nothing like CalyxOS and GrapheneOS - they support modern/current Pixel hardware.
    Well the OP did not want a Pixel - he maybe could find an older Samsung and try the OS out for little $$.
    10-05-22 02:12 PM
    CalyxOS and GrapheneOS are versions of Android anyway, aren't they?
    10-05-22 02:23 PM
67 123