I have been reading alot on here and i see alot of talk about OS and upgrading, what is this? is it a must do option to upgrade to the newest all the time? i am an avaerage none buisness user so will this benifit me? plus...is it hard to do? do i have to back up my phone info? will i lose any info?
    I keep reading these threads on here and it is a little confusing as some people lose functions of certian parts or apps on their phones and stuff. Just want to know the reason behind it and how important it is.

Thx.
    06-22-10 09:41 AM
    Your BlackBerry is delivered with the latest OS version, supported by your carrier. Other carriers are also evaluating the OS and may have selected a different subversion to support on the same model.

Is upgrading worthwhile? The vast majority of the time, No. The is no visuable difference in the way they work.

In some situations, where the carrier has rushed a model into their line up, the software may not be fully capable. This happened with the original Bold and Storm models.

In that case, a later subversion is desirable because troublesome bugs have been dealt with.

There is one more category of OS software our members have access too, Beta Test packages. These are never intended for release, they are created for a specific carrier to test and often have crippling limitations built in.

Those crippling limitations, like power conservation, are the reason you will see members experimenting with Hybrid OS code. They are combining features of multiple packages in hopes of providing an improved and working OS.
    06-22-10 09:53 AM
    But if you want the latest and greatest, but dont want to mess up your phone stick with official releases of the OS from your carrier. all you will have to do is connect your BB to the desktop manager and let it do the rest. or just do the wireless update from the phone itself
    06-22-10 10:01 AM
    Thank you both, clears a lot up.
    06-22-10 10:06 AM
    I would also suggest that even if your carrier offers an official upgrade that you upgrade using your PC, not via wireless upgrade. If you lose your network connection or the battery goes dead during a wireless upgrade, there is more chance of bricking your device. This thread explains the way to upgrade if you ever wish to do so.
    06-22-10 10:14 AM
    One other thing to mention, some other carriers will release different versions of the OS for the same model device. You can download and run any of these versions on your device, you just have to delete the proper file to do so.

Here's an example, my buddy has an AT&T Bold 9000, and the newest OS for that phone is a build of 4.6. I was telling him about some of the nice things that OS 5.0 has to offer, and told him I could update his device. While it's an AT&T branded device, I was able (thanks to the sticky in the 9000 forum) to download a version of 5.0 released by another carrier (somewhere in Italy if I remember correctly) and load that OS onto his Bold. An AT&T Bold is the same as any other bold, the difference is in the programming on the OS.

To answer another of your questions, yes you will have to back up your phone data (it does this automatically as part of the upgrade process), and no, you shouldn't loose anything that you had previously on your device.
    06-22-10 11:18 AM
    BB Junky,

I moved and re-titled your thread. We must consider future readers when we title our threads, what will make the most sense to the next person reading this thread? What summarizes my question or problem best? I think I have done a good job. Please try to do that next time, ok.
    06-22-10 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD