Believe it or not I have not one dissagreement with what anyone above this answer has had to say and I fully agree with all your thoughts.

I took in account that if the techies are the ones doing it, then fair enough, they knowwhat to do to take care of an OS that is no good and roll back to what they had.

Now for all the others that is a different story.
    Good luck to all of you andf while i am one of you that is in the technology field I just choose to wait for an official release where I have recourse and support if anything goes wrong.

Thank you for your comments.
    I'd like you to refer to the first sticky at the top of the "OS Beta/Hybrid Discussion" (I'd post a link, but it won't let me yet) about why ppl post their complaints about the new OS's:

The premise to this forum? If you're running a Beta OS on your device or are considering installing one, you can post your questions here vs. in the standard Device forums. We should try and keep the standard device forums focused on commercially released OS questions, as that applies to the majority of users who browse the forums looking to solve their problems. Also, this way people responding to questions can skip the old "well, you're running a beta os on your device, that's why you're having an issue" type of response and go directly to solving the issue at hand. For the hardcore BlackBerry addicts who need to have the latest and greatest, this forum is for you.

This forum is designed specifically for that reason, to complain and figure out how to fix the prob w the help of others more experienced.
    08-31-09 10:41 AM
    But w that said, it's still less threads to filter thru if someone tries a search related to their prob first, or look around and try to figure out the prob before asking... but after, it's open to discussion
    08-31-09 10:45 AM
    dear jaguar,
    do you not want your phone to work faster or have more memory?
    I think that is a pretty rediculous question to ask me because the answer of course is YES.

You miss my point, I am not willing to be as adventurous as the others on here who have answered and i have no problem with anyones answer to this thread.

I am not having any problems so why make problems(just talking about me) so I can live with waiting until an official Carrier release comes out, wait to read about it and then update when I feel that it is ok to do so.

That is all i am saying, no more, no less
    08-31-09 12:42 PM
    I think that is a pretty rediculous question to ask me because the answer of course is YES.

You miss my point, I am not willing to be as adventurous as the others on here who have answered and i have no problem with anyones answer to this thread.

I am not having any problems so why make problems(just talking about me) so I can live with waiting until an official Carrier release comes out, wait to read about it and then update when I feel that it is ok to do so.

That is all i am saying, no more, no less
    You do understand, though, that the entire purpose of this particular sub-forum is to provide a place for people who want to discuss beta and hybrid versions of the OS, which necessarily involves all the downside inconveniences and risks that have been discussed on the thread. The only meaningful discussion of betas, hybrids and other unofficial software can happen when people are willing to try it and share their experience.

Essentially, coming in here you would *have* to expect to find the place populated almost entirely by people interested in making the trade-offs necessary in exchange for being able to try out something new.

I agree that people shouldn't respond to your questions with any kind of hostility, but I must admit that it *does* feel a bit like voyeurism when somebody who (as you've described yourself) is only interested in officially sanctioned releases comes in to ask why we might be doing what we do. Seems somewhat akin to visiting a nude beach, and asking the folks there why they aren't wearing clothes...

Not necessarily a *bad* thing per se, as questions are a great way to learn something new. MY question for you would be the following: knowing that this sub-forum is specifically created to facilitate discussion about experimental and unofficial releases, along with all the expected inconveniences, bugs and the like, what kind of responses did you expect to get to your question, and what did you hope to learn by asking?

08-31-09 12:57 PM
    Generally I think it's a good idea to follow your carrier's guidance on OS installs.

With that said, I use an unsanctioned OS. Why? Well my carrier sold me my phone with a terrible OS version that had really, really bad battery management code. The carrier could not tell me when they planned on upgrading their OS to fix this problem so I took matters into my own hands.

I've done this twice in my life. Once years ago with a unbranded Motorola V600 phone where I needed to change the OS to get English language capability and most recently with my 8900 because the .114 OS was just terrible.

Many on CrackBerry change OSs as often as the rest of us change clothes. Why? Because they are intense about their addiction for their BlackBerrys and don't want to miss a single upgrade feature. They know the risks and go ahead anyway. Nothing really wrong with that.
    also well said....I too load beta OS's....im willing to take the risk and I feel comfortable that I can recover my device regardless
    08-31-09 07:22 PM
    Let me say this. I buy a new cell phone every 5-6 months. I always have to have the latest and the greatest things on the market.

By installing the "leaked software" and some of the hybids it is giving me that without spending a new $600 every 6 months.

Not only that but...

"Owning a Blackberry is a hobby"

anyone who owns a Blackberry "just for the phone" might as well own a LG or Nokia or Samsung...etc, flip phone.

Thats the reason I do it. And if I make comments about how one is or is not working it is strictly for the "Powers that be" aka RIM to know what is going on and hoping they will notice and fix them. And as most will agree they are listening. Thats why we are getting things like flick scrolling and threaded text messages...

MY $.02 worth
    Last edited by mph122074; 09-01-09 at 02:26 AM.
    09-01-09 02:23 AM
    I am running a 8330m Curve. I love my Curve and I hate to see it sink to the bottom class of BB models. It can do almost everything other models can do but the browser is slower, and has less memory. There are definitive performance improvements in running Hybrids. I have tried 4-5 different configurations within the last month or two and I have finally settled on one that at least gives me the impression that my 8330m is competitive in memory and browser speed, with newer models. Plus, it seems the 8330m can take some abuse and handle most of the crap you throw at it. In reality, it is not hard to load up a hybrid. I made my mistakes at first, but learning from those mistakes, it is really not that hard. I believe with proper research and instructions that are provided, The general public can handle it. Bricking your BB isn't necessarily a bad thing, because after you have done it, you learn that it is not the ultimate disaster for your blackberry. I have only bricked once but it was the best learning experience for my BB. Give a hybrid a try, you may like it and when an official release is available, odds are it will not be OTA anyway.
    Last edited by geoffsdad; 09-01-09 at 09:56 AM.
    09-01-09 09:48 AM
    my expperience with leaked Os's are better than official ones
    09-01-09 09:57 AM
    Just cause it's fun. We feel a high for the achievement of getting something that isn't polished and all nice to function properly. We marvel at the new features that most haven't seen or used yet. We feel crushed and determined to fix it when it doesn't work right. And then feel the pride of achievement again when we fix it and it works again.....and then anxiously await the next leaked version.
    12-18-09 10:55 AM
    One other thing that you need to take into account.
    Technical people will get the os installed no matter what, and the issues they have will be minute. A non-technical person will come and ask questions about everything and there is the feedback that is neeeded. Why you think there are beta releases and leaks? So the developers will know what is wrong with it and can tweak it to suit.
    Those whiners do a great service, by asking the questions alot of us would like to know but too "technical" to ask.
    12-18-09 11:30 AM
    You know what, i realize this is a old post so i'll just make this quick

I do the beta stuff as i'm a tech person too and i like being on the bleeding edge. Right now there's a update for a driver for my system and it's KILLING me not to install it because my system works fine now. There's NOTHING i would gain (as far as i know) from the new driver but i wanna install it so bad!

With that said, i'm new to BBs but i have the same passion about the "next" thing. If i however break my BB during the course of my experiement, what better place to ask for help than at Crackberry? Yes you are of-course probably tired of getting the same questions but we were all new at one time and made mistakes and learned how to fix them thru trial and error (or someone elses). When you break you car (normal usage), don't you go to someone who knows how to fix it??

There are plenty of people that shouldn't be upgrading to beta OSes because they don't know the risks or just aren't capable of handling the downtime if something goes wrong. Therefore they have a heart attack and go crazy crying for help. I bet they wont make the same mistake again tho, even if that means they wont use unsupported software again!
    12-18-09 05:06 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD