I am truly sorry to ask this question, I am going by the rules of the forum and trying to put this thread in where ZZI think it should go and hope I don't get famed but here goes.

I continue to read ALL the people in the 9630 Tour forum talk about anything and everything that is wrong with their tour. exchanging 5 times, getting Green Dot tours and the list goes on and on.

The Mods continue to move threads, tell people about 1 or 2 word threads, talk about duplicate threads and YES this is long so stop reading now if you don't like the tone so far.... I'll give ya a sec.

Ok there you go and if you are still reading this after what I said above... Why would you immediatly go to a competitors site, download a non-sanctioned carriers OS that is not official and then complain about all the bugs it has in it and noy my Brand new Tour is Bricked and I see a black screen.

You get what was not intended for general public use and something for people that can run Hybrids or developers creating apps that will work once the carrier says...Hey guess what Public we just released version 5.xxxx and go load it.

I of course wait to read the reviews on it before I even do that but for gosh sakes people, learn from your mistakes or the things that are wrong with your Tour now is NOT going to be cured with a magic bullet that the carrier DID NOT release to the public.

I have issues although minor with my Tour but nothing like others are complaining about over and over again not to mention I don't believe in loading my Tour down with unproven Themes, Apps and so on.

I keep it clean and free of unproven items and that is why you don't see me complaining about my Tour because there is nothing to complain about.

Now I am done so get mad at me, vent your anger, Mods blast me and move this or close it if you want but before you do just ask yourselves one question... Is this the same thing you would like to say to people but you can't because you moderate and keep an eye on the forums??

I sure hope this gives people something to think about and I am not sorry I wrote this.
    08-30-09 10:35 AM
    well, you see, a lot of us who use blackberrys are more technically inclined than the average joe. the type that always want the latest and greatest gadgets. the type that enjoys testing out such "publicly unavailable" software. the type that wants to push their devices to the absolute limit and get the most possible out of it. i think you see where im going with this... personally, i think a lot of people enjoy the struggle because the payoff can be great.

oh and then theres a certain bragging rights that comes along with it...
    08-30-09 10:44 AM
    100% on the $ andyriot
    08-30-09 10:55 AM
    I appreciate your comments. So are you guys saying I am wrong or just agree to have your opinion and not saying what I had to say was out of line??

I just wanted to vent a bit and simply ask WHY?

Edit: AHHH I just reread your comments again and understand where you guys are coming from and I am the way you guys are but very careful. having said that I was writing the thread mainly for NOT the folks like you guys but mainstream that are well constantly... you know what I mean I believe.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 08-30-09 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Making sure of my intentions
    08-30-09 11:04 AM
    It's more like a get over it, you're whining over nothing. I skimmed through it and just see sentences... That's like moving something to another part of the room for no functional reason. It's just your random thoughts. It confused me.

People always want better, and like andyriot said, people on the forums are more tech savvy than the average consumer. We know if we mess up we can always fix it back to what it was. So why not try out something new. You see the reviews and feedback and you tell yourself, hmm, that looks good. I think I'll try it myself.

It's common sense. Before the Tour came out... I bet you really wanted it. But you couldn't have it until release day. If someone told you 1 month before release day, they would give you one free and you could use it. What would you do? You would **** your pants and use it. The only down side is there may be bugs with the software.

Getting that phone one month early is almost the equivalent of running a leaked OS.
    08-30-09 11:17 AM
    Andyriot and Chrischoi pretty much said what I feel... Those of us who look to try out these new releases, before they are officially available to the public, are typically those who get a great deal of enjoyment out of the technology -- and are willing to put in the extra effort, take the extra risk, and deal with the downside that comes along with experimentation as the necessary trade-off.

Many of us are technologists of one sort or another, and find it a pleasing challenge to get through difficult and/or undocumented installation or upgrade processes. Many of us get a kick of out doing something that others say couldn't be done (e.g., the classic challenge of "de-branding" a Blackberry -- elusive until just this last year).

As Chris mentioned, some do it for bragging rights.

Some of us want the next generation features NOW, and are willing to risk having to deal with a few rough edges to get those features.

It can be any combination of considerations such as those above. I also consult, and it helps one's credibility when you can show your clients that you are familiar with the device and software at a level deeper than your average user.

Nobody should be flaming you for your post. But you should understand, and allow for, different people having different levels of interest in blackberry's, just as people have different levels of interest in just about everything.
    08-30-09 12:32 PM
    Andyriot and Chrischoi pretty much said what I feel... Those of us who look to try out these new releases, before they are officially available to the public, are typically those who get a great deal of enjoyment out of the technology -- and are willing to put in the extra effort, take the extra risk, and deal with the downside that comes along with experimentation as the necessary trade-off.

Many of us are technologists of one sort or another, and find it a pleasing challenge to get through difficult and/or undocumented installation or upgrade processes. Many of us get a kick of out doing something that others say couldn't be done (e.g., the classic challenge of "de-branding" a Blackberry -- elusive until just this last year).

As Chris mentioned, some do it for bragging rights.

Some of us want the next generation features NOW, and are willing to risk having to deal with a few rough edges to get those features.

It can be any combination of considerations such as those above. I also consult, and it helps one's credibility when you can show your clients that you are familiar with the device and software at a level deeper than your average user.

Nobody should be flaming you for your post. But you should understand, and allow for, different people having different levels of interest in blackberry's, just as people have different levels of interest in just about everything.
    Believe it or not I have not one dissagreement with what anyone above this answer has had to say and I fully agree with all your thoughts.

I took in account that if the techies are the ones doing it, then fair enough, they knowwhat to do to take care of an OS that is no good and roll back to what they had.

Now for all the others that is a different story. Good luck to all of you andf while i am one of you that is in the technology field I just choose to wait for an official release where I have recourse and support if anything goes wrong.

Thank you for your comments.
    08-30-09 01:20 PM
    The answers given to this post have been very valid. That's the reason that I mess with my phone as well. However, I believe that the people who replied are missing what the original poster is trying to say.

To me it looks like he has no problem with the techy people who mess with their phone and do these leaked beta updates. He seems to be bothered by the TON of people posting dumb things about their phone being messed up after they did something to it.

If you install a leaked beta os, brick your phone, and get it right back to working by simply restoring the phone, NO PROBLEM. Now, if you do a leaked os, brick your berry, and post, MY PHONE IS BRICKED! WHAT CAN I DO? HOW DO I FIX IT? That's annoying or funny.

Basically, he's mad at people posting, OMG my phone is not working after I did this! OMG this phone sucks, I'm getting a keyboard instead of a my dial keypad! Dumb things like that.

wow so much for my first post.
    08-30-09 02:26 PM
    Actually, the OP sort of haz a point. The "better than average joes" know what they're doing and love the challenge and realize not everything will always go as planned.

Then you get someone who thinks they should do it too cause they read a few threads. They're the ones giving others a bad name.
    08-30-09 02:31 PM
    The answers given to this post have been very valid. That's the reason that I mess with my phone as well. However, I believe that the people who replied are missing what the original poster is trying to say.

To me it looks like he has no problem with the techy people who mess with their phone and do these leaked beta updates. He seems to be bothered by the TON of people posting dumb things about their phone being messed up after they did something to it.

If you install a leaked beta os, brick your phone, and get it right back to working by simply restoring the phone, NO PROBLEM. Now, if you do a leaked os, brick your berry, and post, MY PHONE IS BRICKED! WHAT CAN I DO? HOW DO I FIX IT? That's annoying or funny.

Basically, he's mad at people posting, OMG my phone is not working after I did this! OMG this phone sucks, I'm getting a keyboard instead of a my dial keypad! Dumb things like that.

wow so much for my first post.
    Very good clarification post and YES you are 100% correct in what I was trying to say... NO disrespect to the ones that know what they are doing at all like Andy and others.
    08-30-09 02:34 PM
    Actually, the OP sort of haz a point. The "better than average joes" know what they're doing and love the challenge and realize not everything will always go as planned.

Then you get someone who thinks they should do it too cause they read a few threads. They're the ones giving others a bad name.
    Once again you are right and thank you for understanding the jist of my original post, No disrespect to Andy and the others that and I stress again, that know what they are doing.
    08-30-09 02:37 PM
    Why would you immediatly go to a competitors site, download a non-sanctioned carriers OS that is not official
    Generally I think it's a good idea to follow your carrier's guidance on OS installs.

With that said, I use an unsanctioned OS. Why? Well my carrier sold me my phone with a terrible OS version that had really, really bad battery management code. The carrier could not tell me when they planned on upgrading their OS to fix this problem so I took matters into my own hands.

I've done this twice in my life. Once years ago with a unbranded Motorola V600 phone where I needed to change the OS to get English language capability and most recently with my 8900 because the .114 OS was just terrible.

Many on CrackBerry change OSs as often as the rest of us change clothes. Why? Because they are intense about their addiction for their BlackBerrys and don't want to miss a single upgrade feature. They know the risks and go ahead anyway. Nothing really wrong with that.
    08-30-09 02:57 PM
    Yeah, I feel the same as everyone else that has posted but I'd also like to add that I'm not happy with the OS that came with the phone so any beta is better than the official OS for me. I'm not just doing it for ***** and giggles.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 03:53 PM
    Because I'm Electronically Masochistic!
    08-30-09 03:55 PM
    While there is always the disclaimer "do so at your own risk" sometimes the Beta OS is the same one that will release in another month after final testing from RIM and you can greatly improve your phone sooner than when your carrier releases an OS.

Also you say you dont use an OS that is from your carrier. IMO you are missing out by not having an official OS from another carrier. Most of the time your carrier doesnt stay on top of the OS released by RIM and get way behind. I know there are tons of beta and hybrid from my 8330 that are way better than what Verizon has available right now.

Some beta and hybrid are give and take and some are all take. Some have bugs some dont. It is worth a test to see if it is better than your current OS. If not complain on the forums or roll it back.
    08-30-09 04:14 PM
    Overall I think everyone in this thread have some pretty good points. Maybe it would benefit the community for Kevin or some of the mods to write a new article to be posted on the front page that covers some of these issues, sort of like a warning about the benefits and drawbacks of OS upgrades and where to look for help before making a normally useless post about "I updated my OS and now .... doesn't work". Users like Jaguarr and me get a little upset about the clutter these posts make in the forum and I'm sure like he said the mods get tired of moving and closing these threads. That said, I generally don't mind helping people that aren't as tech savvy even if the info could have been found by either browsing the forums or using a simple search tool. Maybe this thread will come to the attention of the mods and they will make a new guide like I was talking about. Until then, all good posts in here and it's nice to see someone voice their opinion and be responded to with clear and civil posts instead of the normal flames. Good job CB community! This is why I stick around and leak things like 5.0.0.140 for the Storm.
    08-30-09 04:38 PM
    In my case, I'm adventurous, I spent 3 years flashing windows ROMs (I know it was a torture) and I had a blast. Now with BB need less to say I'm learning all I can. In my first month with my tour I have flash tons of times, I've even bricked my phone a few times... Lol is fun, for some people it might seem pointless but for some of us if FUN!
    08-30-09 05:15 PM
    One thing I did not see mentioned (I dont think it was anyway) is that for me VZW takes way way way way to long to release an OS. I know they have a large consumer base and what not. But they take too long to allow a user to upgrade to a newer version. Then most versions they do approve are so old we don't even have a chance to have something more up to date. I find this pretty unrealistic in today's technology.

I think VZW should start testing one of the more recent builds instead of still testing one that is much older.

I think the OS released with the Tour is pretty rock solid compared to the one that was released with the Storm.

Sorry for the quickly thrown together post here but wanted to get my thoughts out before I put the kids to bed.
    08-30-09 07:44 PM
    Well 'Andyriot' sounds right on...............the same reason why I don't drive the speed limit and from there the list goes on and on., Been around the block and bricked several BBerrys, no big deal, the more you know about anything the better you are equipped to handle it. After trying the 5.0.0.190 for a while I sincerely don't find myself going back to anything else, it is great that some of us experience the opportunity to try new and good things !!! LOL
    08-30-09 08:31 PM
    well, you see, a lot of us who use blackberrys are more technically inclined than the average joe. the type that always want the latest and greatest gadgets. the type that enjoys testing out such "publicly unavailable" software. the type that wants to push their devices to the absolute limit and get the most possible out of it. i think you see where im going with this... personally, i think a lot of people enjoy the struggle because the payoff can be great.

agree with andyriot
    08-30-09 09:16 PM
    dear jaguar,
    do you not want your phone to work faster or have more memory?
    08-31-09 12:33 AM
    I am truly sorry to ask this question, I am going by the rules of the forum and trying to put this thread in where ZZI think it should go and hope I don't get famed but here goes.

I continue to read ALL the people in the 9630 Tour forum talk about anything and everything that is wrong with their tour. exchanging 5 times, getting Green Dot tours and the list goes on and on.

The Mods continue to move threads, tell people about 1 or 2 word threads, talk about duplicate threads and YES this is long so stop reading now if you don't like the tone so far.... I'll give ya a sec.

Ok there you go and if you are still reading this after what I said above... Why would you immediatly go to a competitors site, download a non-sanctioned carriers OS that is not official and then complain about all the bugs it has in it and noy my Brand new Tour is Bricked and I see a black screen.

You get what was not intended for general public use and something for people that can run Hybrids or developers creating apps that will work once the carrier says...Hey guess what Public we just released version 5.xxxx and go load it.

I of course wait to read the reviews on it before I even do that but for gosh sakes people, learn from your mistakes or the things that are wrong with your Tour now is NOT going to be cured with a magic bullet that the carrier DID NOT release to the public.

I have issues although minor with my Tour but nothing like others are complaining about over and over again not to mention I don't believe in loading my Tour down with unproven Themes, Apps and so on.

I keep it clean and free of unproven items and that is why you don't see me complaining about my Tour because there is nothing to complain about.

Now I am done so get mad at me, vent your anger, Mods blast me and move this or close it if you want but before you do just ask yourselves one question... Is this the same thing you would like to say to people but you can't because you moderate and keep an eye on the forums??

I sure hope this gives people something to think about and I am not sorry I wrote this.
    Even if you brick your Berry, CrackMem is always to the rescue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 06:33 AM

Exactly, it's just like I have been running various pre-release versions of Windows 7 for the past 8 months because I enjoy testing it out even if it doesn't always go smoothly.
    08-31-09 07:26 AM
    Ha ha , well either your an addict or not with software ..

I am willing to test out new betas all day long lol
    looking for the newest coolest features, what changes
    erre made and why, and how it will impact my day to
    day use of the BB. This is a long and short of it IMO

seeing how I am in the software industry for the
    most part .. Web and Sys admin

this is more a life style than any thing else
    for those of us who live it - there is no other way
    to live !
    08-31-09 07:31 AM
    Maybe they want to see wat the new OS has to offer or see what RIM is working on and improving on...
    08-31-09 07:56 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD