05-04-13 04:30 AM
166 12345 ...
tools
    Isn't QNX supposed to be out early 2012? Why not wait a few more months?
    I can upgrade yearly so it doesnt matter.
    04-02-11 08:50 PM
    My biggest gripes with the BB OS:

1) Memory Leaks
    2) Lack of App Memory
    3) Battery Pull being one of the top apps
    4) Doing a battery pull suggested for issues/glitches with the OS.
    With the newer OS6 devices already out you will not have these issues
    04-02-11 08:52 PM
    "What makes the bb OS suck?"

1. Users who don't do their homework.
    2. Users who don't take the time to try to learn how the device works.
    3. Users with unrealistic expectations.
    4. Users who have short attention spans.
    ^ +1 and my sentiments also.

screen resolution and appearance
    5+ minute reboots and it reboots on its own way to often
    I think screen resolution is pretty fine, just my opinion tho.
    As far as reboots it's about 3 min for me and I've yet to have a spontaneous reboot. I think it depends a lot on what you have on board and which version of the os your running. If I did have this issue it would make me do something about it, being whatever it takes.
    Last edited by cbreze; 04-02-11 at 08:59 PM.
    04-02-11 08:53 PM
    Not sure BB OS sucks. For sure many areas for improvement, but in the end of the day it sucks or fits you depends what you want to do with your device.

Being long time iOS user, have "played" with many Android devices - setting up friends phones, and setting and "maintaining" wife's Motorola Ming (Android), recently myself moved to BlackBerry.
    - did it simply because I need a TOOL (with full qwerty) to help me do the job *on-the-go*

Just yesterday had "interesting" experience with iOS (iPad) and BlackBerry. Was outside and needed to send an email with few really large files attached to it, which came as attachments in emails I have received recently.
    Started with the iPad, as with email app you can't just download the attachments, and then write your email and attach the files to it, the procedure was following:
    - open email -> view attachment -> transfer attachment to PrintCentral, after all files are transferred to PrintCentral from there write the email - attach the files, send.
    Doing the above, the email application wasn't able to handle large files attached, respectively no way to transfer them to PrintCentral and do the rest.
    In the end, tryed to get the emails directly in PrintCentral ... but there I needed to wait all my recent emails, from a month or so, to get synced, and then to go and "extract" the files I need. Considering wasn't on WIFI but on 3G that was not a good option, anyway, I jumped into it. After 15+ min of sync, and no indication sync will get completed soon, finally, I decided to let BB do the job.

On BB - opened emails in my inbox with attached files, got them to download to SDCard - while files was downloading, as a BACKGROUND process, just focused on writing the email. When finished writing, files was downloaded, attached them - sent - Done, in 10+ min.

The BB simply did the job in a easy way, while iPad, not to mention the need to go through complicated process, didn't. And I don't mean iPad (iOS) sucks, not at all, I love it for the browsing experience on-the-go, for the variety of options and experience with social networks and IM. Games ... don't play myself, but kiddo loves to.

In the end, for me on BB sucks not the OS but the lack of alternatives to be on Skype chat. Don't like IM+, not to mention it is heavily overpriced, and like to see something like IMO.IM, which is the best for me IM client on iOS and Android.
    04-02-11 09:26 PM
    I
    The faithful are reluctant to acknowledge it, but the current BBos is dead (and it should be).

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    Do you really think you have an impact, with such insiteful comments such as that anymore?

BBOS may be old, but it has progressed along the way, just as any operating system does. It's not perfect by any means. I'd love the browser to be faster, but it does work well, short of having flash integration. The truncated email would be better left to the user to decide, but it's not difficult to access those through the browser. I have no lack of apps, or space for them. The widget sound nice, but isn't social feeds/news feeds basically similar? I'm sure if I looked at a list of android widgets I'd find a couple I'd be interested in, but nothing I'd drop my BB and switch for. The menu would be my biggest grip, but while I'd like to be able to organize it to my liking, again, it's not that big a deal. Virtually everything I need can be backed up OTA, via sync apps and dropbox. QNX GUI will no doubt be a matter of what theme is installed, so that shouldn't be an issue on arrival either.

BBOS doesn't suck. It just keeps getting better.

Dang it! I forgot to mention the battery pull I've a habit of doing it before I shower each day, so how long it takes is totally irrelevant.
    04-02-11 09:40 PM
    That doesn't mean it sucks or sucked. So why apple change their OS? Why does android constantly change? Is it because they sucked before?
    Yes, they did "suck" before, and currently. Take iOS's insane notification system, as a prime example of major suckage. I'm not going to list all the other PITA's on iOS.
    04-02-11 10:00 PM
    I think each platform had its pluses and minuses. BBOS doesn't suck, but it could be improved. I use both my BB and a Galaxy S Android device.

Some things, the SGS does a lot better: web browsing, skype (without begging to be on vzw), video streaming (ustream), Flash, and larger emails. The big issue for me was truncated emails. I get order forms emailed to me that would always get truncated, so I would always have to have my laptop nearby to get orders. On the SGS, I get the complete email without truncation.

But, the BB has much better integration. Using apps while driving (drivesafe.ly or vlingo's safe reader) on Android can't send audio to a bluetooth headset (it can send to bluetooth stereo, but not mono headsets without rooting). You can only listen to audio via speakerphone. On BB, they play overy the headset, as well as being able to respond using the bluetooth mic. There is better integration in Gingerbread, but very few Android devices are running 2.3.

The other thing with these two apps is email integration. On the BB, messages are read as they arrive on the device. On Android, the apps have to poll the email servers (more battery drain). If you don't hear it properly, there isn't a way to replay the message like there is on BB. When it comes to integration between apps, BB is still way ahead.

Those are just a couple of examples. Each platform excels differently. It had more to do with how someone uses their device, and finding the one that meets their needs. That is not always going to be the same device/OS for everyone.
    Ferretling and anon(73368) like this.
    04-02-11 10:35 PM
    So funny how many idiots are so quick to blame the users. It's not the users' fault that the crappy software leaks memory (yes, this is absolutely true with OS6) or that the UI is the most user unfriendly of any phones. It's not the users' fault that the phones can't support a moderate work load.

Doesn't matter if QNX is coming out in a few years (you're dreaming if you think it's going to be here next year). By the time it happens, RIM's market share is going to be next to nothing.

Everything BB does, Android and iOS does better. Most of what BB can't do, Android and iOS have done since release. Sucks when your company spends all it time trying to just keep up with no room for innovation.
    Chrisy and K Bear like this.
    04-02-11 11:14 PM
    I think we can all agree on this: At the end of the day, the current OS is not as good as we BB users would like it to be, but it also isn't as bad as some of the naysayers make it out to be.

With the newer OS6 devices already out you will not have these issues
    I dunno know about that man. Running 6.0 on my Torch I still have all those things, other than the lack of memory, which is more of a hardware limitation on previous devices. Those are just the quirks that are part of the Blackberry OS, regardless of version.
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 04-03-11 at 12:13 AM.
    reeneebob, Chrisy and Machzy like this.
    04-03-11 12:10 AM
    Yes, they did "suck" before, and currently. Take iOS's insane notification system, as a prime example of major suckage. I'm not going to list all the other PITA's on iOS.
    Good, because one could write a bible on how horrible the storm series is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-11 12:37 AM
    Agreed but with widgets don't they run all the time? When I had them on my evo it killed my battery!
    I run FancyWidget with weather updates hourly, GoSMS Pro widget, Facebook wdget that updates every 30 minutes, Extended controls widget, live wallpaper, brightness is autobright with minimum 30% (no 0% brightness allowed for my gorgeous screen, and I just plugged my phone in at 1% battery level.

It's been off the charger since 10:52am Thursday morning.

That's 10:52 am Thursday to 12:30am Sunday on the stock battery (not an extended battery) on one of those battery sucking Android phones.

All the other points have already been made, but I did spend several days in the ownership of my mother's Torch getting it set up. She has no apps on it other than Google search. She doesn't even use Facebook. By the third day when I saw her again and it was all up and running and set up, I was ready to get my phone back from her because the hourglasses were killing me, and yes I had updated the OS and knew that the OS at release was laggy. I'm not Joe Schmo 'BB USER ERROR' that these get blamed on and several people will back me up on it, I was the queen of the old edit the OS to take out the bloat to free up RAM tricks. I know my way around the OS. Was OS 6 a huge improvement over the old Curve and Storm? Yes. Was it the same league as my SGS? No.

I hope QNX is the savior of BB, but this was a move they had to make. They no longer had a choice.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 04-03-11 at 12:47 AM.
    Chrisy, K Bear, howarmat and 1 others like this.
    04-03-11 12:38 AM
    "What makes the bb OS suck?"

1. Users who don't do their homework.
    2. Users who don't take the time to try to learn how the device works.
    3. Users with unrealistic expectations.
    4. Users who have short attention spans.
    you said it dude... you took the words right out of my mouth..... okie bb os isn't as flashy, shiny, etc but the functionality is way more.... whatever u would try to do on bb u ll find that bb has something to ease ur task.... there are settings and features that can easily be customized to the way u wanna use them.... BB os is simple and user friendly... everything is easily made to look like what you want and work the way u want it to work..... with every new release the os keeps getting better and better
    04-03-11 04:58 AM
    Its preference not a need. JMO I just think a app is similar and does the samething.
    Here we go with this preference vs. need argument. That isn't what this is about.

Email can be considered a preference as well.
    04-03-11 07:21 AM
    I run FancyWidget with weather updates hourly, GoSMS Pro widget, Facebook wdget that updates every 30 minutes, Extended controls widget, live wallpaper, brightness is autobright with minimum 30% (no 0% brightness allowed for my gorgeous screen, and I just plugged my phone in at 1% battery level.

It's been off the charger since 10:52am Thursday morning.

That's 10:52 am Thursday to 12:30am Sunday on the stock battery (not an extended battery) on one of those battery sucking Android phones.

All the other points have already been made, but I did spend several days in the ownership of my mother's Torch getting it set up. She has no apps on it other than Google search. She doesn't even use Facebook. By the third day when I saw her again and it was all up and running and set up, I was ready to get my phone back from her because the hourglasses were killing me, and yes I had updated the OS and knew that the OS at release was laggy. I'm not Joe Schmo 'BB USER ERROR' that these get blamed on and several people will back me up on it, I was the queen of the old edit the OS to take out the bloat to free up RAM tricks. I know my way around the OS. Was OS 6 a huge improvement over the old Curve and Storm? Yes. Was it the same league as my SGS? No.

I hope QNX is the savior of BB, but this was a move they had to make. They no longer had a choice.
    Hmm, didn't you say in another thread that you were getting about 12 hours battery life? Thursday to Sunday sounds a bit exaggerated, no offense.
    04-03-11 07:21 AM
    Agreed but with widgets don't they run all the time? When I had them on my evo it killed my battery!
    You can have them set to upgrade in certain intervals. The Evo has bad battery life in general. I have over 10 widgets running at all times on my Droid X and I get 15-18 hours of heavy use.
    04-03-11 07:24 AM
    I'm just as big of a BB fan as the next crackberry addict but I'm still not blind or naive to say that BBOS is perfect or even great. There are a lot of stupid things that are just limitations of the OS.

For example, after I uninstall an App I have to reboot? Wtf is up with that? stupid in my opinion. With that said - I don't have any memory leaks that people mention constantly about BBs (currently running Torch with 6.0.0.450) - no memory leaks at all. The only time I have to do a battery pull is when I delete apps. But I think there are a lot of things that BBOS does better than iOS.

For example, have you tried to mark multiple emails as 'read' with iOS? You can't. You can select multiple to delete - but not to mark as read.
    Have you ever started an email then tried to attach a pic or something? You can't. You can select the pic first then email it - but not the other way around.

To me things like that are just as stupid & annoying as BBOS battery pulls.

Going back to howarth's list though - it seems to be pretty accruate with truncated emails, activesync, low hardware specs, etc.
    04-03-11 10:56 AM
    Here we go with this preference vs. need argument. That isn't what this is about.

Email can be considered a preference as well.
    Well, yes and no ... suckage in this context is very subjective. The things I need from the OS may not be the things you need, and vice-versa; what makes it suck to me could very well make it the cat's a$$ for you. A lot of the things that are left out of BB OS are deal-breakers for some, beneficial simplification for others.

I mean, just look at your own comments about the Evo's bad battery life. Perhaps to you -- and obviously to many other Android users -- that is not an issue; but to me and many other BB users, it is. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Android sucks because of it, although some would. Another example: I had a phone with WinMo 6 that was the worst piece of crap I ever owned. As much as I hated it, I recognize that there are still a lot of people who swore by it (as much as I swore at it). So I can either say it sucked and imply that those people are idiots, or just accept the fact that I picked the wrong phone with the wrong OS for me. If anybody asks, I'll tell them that I absolutely despised the fact that it was ever allowed out of the development labs, but I won't make the broad statement that it universally sucked -- as much as I thought it deserved it.

Just to add to what Machzy said, no OS is perfect; so an argument could be made that all of them suck to some degree to someone somewhere. I say they all bring something good to the table; we all just have to make the choice of which one we think is gooder.
    04-03-11 11:52 AM
    @18to12fitty ....so are you saying that we should create 2 more threads? Why iOS sucks & why Andoid OS sucks? =P
    04-03-11 12:03 PM
    @18to12fitty ....so are you saying that we should create 2 more threads? Why iOS sucks & why Andoid OS sucks? =P
    Why not! And let's not leave out WinMo/WP, WebOS, Symbian, Bada, Maemo and MeeGo. May as well include Tablet OS too, while we're at it. Let's just have a free-for-all. Fair's fair!
    04-03-11 12:09 PM
    This is totally off topic... But...

There's like a bunch of people with Thunderbolts in this thread. How do you guys like the Thunderbolt?

I'm getting a new smartphone this summer and that's one of the ones I've been considering (along with the Nexus S 4G and the Evo 3D). Is the battery life a big problem with your devices?
    04-03-11 12:53 PM
    for me its not an issue, 10-14 hours consistantly for me unless im using the phone constantly on the net or something. no LTE yet though
    04-03-11 01:00 PM
    So the blackberry OS sucks because it doesn't do what some people want but what it never claims to be able to do? Riiiggghhhhtttt
    For what it really is is very good, for what it's not, well, get something else.
    So my family car sucks cuz it can't do 150mph, ok.
    04-03-11 01:28 PM
    The faithful are reluctant to acknowledge it, but the current BBos is dead (and it should be).

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    Dude why don't you go buy yourself a clue. You add nothing to any conversation. Dude I'm glad you like your thunderbolt. I haven't played with one but what I've seen it looks like a great device. I don't want one that doesn't mean its a bad device. I don't believe your 4g speeds, but if its true it don't matter none that my blackberry is flinging data at 3g cause that all att has right now.

04-03-11 01:38 PM
    I just sent a video taken from my Android and their Blackberry couldn't download it because file too large. It was a 45 second high quality video. That sucks.

IPhone users got it fine.
    04-03-11 01:40 PM
    I just sent a video taken from my Android and their Blackberry couldn't download it because file too large. It was a 45 second high quality video. That sucks.

IPhone users got it fine.
    What's that got to do with the OS? Does Rim claim anywhere that you can transfer large files via email, bbm or im? Sure it can't do it but does it suck for that?

04-03-11 01:47 PM
166 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD