Well, yes and no ... suckage in this context is very subjective. The things I need from the OS may not be the things you need, and vice-versa; what makes it suck to me could very well make it the cat's a$$ for you. A lot of the things that are left out of BB OS are deal-breakers for some, beneficial simplification for others.

I mean, just look at your own comments about the Evo's bad battery life. Perhaps to you -- and obviously to many other Android users -- that is not an issue; but to me and many other BB users, it is. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Android sucks because of it, although some would. Another example: I had a phone with WinMo 6 that was the worst piece of crap I ever owned. As much as I hated it, I recognize that there are still a lot of people who swore by it (as much as I swore at it). So I can either say it sucked and imply that those people are idiots, or just accept the fact that I picked the wrong phone with the wrong OS for me. If anybody asks, I'll tell them that I absolutely despised the fact that it was ever allowed out of the development labs, but I won't make the broad statement that it universally sucked -- as much as I thought it deserved it.

Just to add to what Machzy said, no OS is perfect; so an argument could be made that all of them suck to some degree to someone somewhere. I say they all bring something good to the table; we all just have to make the choice of which one we think is gooder.
    This has nothing to do with what I said. Widgets was thrown out as a feature and someone down played it like it was something out of the ordinary. I'm not fighting about BB OS sucking or not. I said it didn't suck in a previous post.
    04-03-11 04:57 PM
    This has nothing to do with what I said. Widgets was thrown out as a feature and someone down played it like it was something out of the ordinary. I'm not fighting about BB OS sucking or not. I said it didn't suck in a previous post.
    Nope, I wasn't referring specifically to you, I was just using the sucking comments here in general to speak to your preference vs. need comment. Sorry if it sounded personal ... wasn't my intent at all.
    04-03-11 05:26 PM
    Some of it is bashing.. the rest of it is misdirected anger because you know what, chances are they really wanted to stay with BlackBerry. But the stuff it couldn't do, outweighed the stuff it could so justifying the change often to other trolls comes off as bashing.

Not to mention some of it just a placebo effect.. "Hey look what I can do... I can stream movies on my 4.3" display and download at 12MBs" Too bad the battery life is pretty much non- existent and you need a car to charge your device with.

And just in case anyone wants to call me out and say I'm a BB fanboi, I should note I also write for Android Central and have written articles for TiPB in the past as well, appeared on their podcast for both iPad and iPhone.
    Yup.. I tried the Evo and was on the Android bandwagon for 29days. Your right about the look what i can do comment I felt like everytime I used it the battery would be toast. Atleast Rims futureis looking bright(Qnx)
    04-03-11 06:21 PM
    If you haven't experienced the speeds of HSPA+, WiMax, or LTE, you don't have a leg to stand on. All of theses 4th gen networks are blazing fast. They may not meet the international 4G speed requirement, but they are 4th gen here in the US and leaps and bounds faster than 3G.
    Really? REALLY?? See below;

I best that with AT&T 3G. WiMax is horrible. Let's not just dog RIM because they have no 4G devices. Apple doesn't, many others don't either.

Moving on; RIM doesn't provide free audible turn by turn directions application. Blackberry Maps is pretty weak.

That sucks!
    Apple doesn't either. It's not just RIM.

Lots of fanboi & fangirlz in here to be sure. It's amazing how much time people that loathe BlackBerry and hate the platform spend so much time on these forums. Bored much?

Is RIM behind others right now? Yes. Does that automatically mean their platform sucks? No. As I've said for years, people that visit these device specific forums are the MINORITY. Most people don't care about specs, or widgets, or even mobile browsers for that matter. Apps either. While I am one that does, the fact remains these things don't make the world go round and many could care less. Less than 50% of mobile device users use their browser for instance. Yet people on here are all about how fast theirs is. Less than 25% play games on theirs, yet BB sucks because there aren't any good games. Etc, etc etc.

04-03-11 06:27 PM
    Why does this thread exist if we're not allowed to answer the OPs question without being told to leave CrackBerry...my Mods and a forum manager? Ban my account if you don't want me here, CX.

Kill the thread if you don't want opinions. Look at the thread title and OP.
    04-03-11 06:40 PM
    Really? REALLY?? See below;

I best that with AT&T 3G. WiMax is horrible. Let's not just dog RIM because they have no 4G devices. Apple doesn't, many others don't either.
    4G in the US is a myth. Only VZW has true 4G by the definition as it was meant to be when it was drafted. Despite the changes since that time, the only thing AT&T / T-Mobile and Sprint have is really fast 3G. It's all jedi mind tricks to confuse consumers even further. Worst part about it all --- it's working.
    04-03-11 06:42 PM
    Why does this thread exist if we're not allowed to answer the OPs question without being told to leave CrackBerry...my Mods and a forum manager? Ban my account if you don't want me here, CX.

Kill the thread if you don't want opinions. Look at the thread title and OP.
    Does my statement apply to you? Honestly I'm not quite sure Chrisy, I don't see you post much. If you "are" one of the ones who do nothing but post negatively and bash RIM & the platform, and always have nothing good to say, then I'd question you as to why you're here. I've always found you to be open minded and never really blindly loyal like some. But if you're going to deny the very existence of what I described above, well maybe...
    My only reply to you specifically was that RIM isn't the only that doesn't off audible turn by turn. Hence the large space between that comment and the rest of my post.

4G in the US is a myth. Only VZW has true 4G by the definition as it was meant to be when it was drafted. Despite the changes since that time, the only thing AT&T / T-Mobile and Sprint have is really fast 3G. It's all jedi mind tricks to confuse consumers even further.
    Agreed. Verizon is the only carrier with true 4G. I hate how T-Mo & AT&T have convoluted the public into thinking HSPA+ is 4G. Sickening. I was just referring to the supposed "blazing fast" WiMax that really isn't.
    04-03-11 06:51 PM
    You quoted me then replied.
    04-03-11 06:53 PM
    You quoted me then replied.
    Yes I quoted you, and replied about RIM not being the only one. Then skiped about 5 spaces or so and replied to the rest of the thread as I usually do. I apologize if you thought I was targeting you. You should know better. )
    04-03-11 06:56 PM
    Tbh, the lack of Flash, the lack of a top-quality web browser, BBM, heck, even the fact it was developed by RIM is what makes a lot of people hate it.

I however love it, and the BB OS doesn't suck. I like the way that Chrisy is open-minded and accepts the merits. I personally find the iPhone useless for me, and have even tried to persuade people off the iPhone to BlackBerry. I've got one friend considering it as we speak. However, I understand the vast majority of people like it, which is why I just say I hate it, rather than saying it sucks monkey nuts...
    04-03-11 07:02 PM

Agreed. Verizon is the only carrier with true 4G. I hate how T-Mo & AT&T have convoluted the public into thinking HSPA+ is 4G. Sickening. I was just referring to the supposed "blazing fast" WiMax that really isn't.
    exactly how I feel
    04-03-11 07:03 PM
    4G in the US is a myth. Only VZW has true 4G by the definition as it was meant to be when it was drafted. Despite the changes since that time, the only thing AT&T / T-Mobile and Sprint have is really fast 3G.
    Actually, no carrier is even close to the 100mbs speed defined bty the governing body. Not even Vzw. T-mo had been rolling out 42mbs to some cities, but has 21mbs "4G" elsewhere.
    04-03-11 07:14 PM
    exactly how I feel
    WTF they're thinking is beyond me. Yes HSPA+ can reach, even exceed current LTE speeds, but they're not true LTE obviously and the carriers are profiting off of customers ignorance. Shame.
    04-03-11 07:34 PM
    I left BlackBerry because there was just no BlackBerry to upgrade to that had what I wanted. Mainly, a great browser. I also wanted a full touch screen device that could play video and YouTube nicely as well as video chat.

If the a QNX Storm was available on VZW after two years with my Tour, I may have gone that way. But RIM is just too outdated for me.

Now that I'm on Android I get what I need plus more, including free navigation. I found myself using a lot of Google apps on my Blackberry, and I figured I would probably enjoy a Google powered phone.

I use my phone in place of a PC and to keep in contact with friends and family around the country. That's why YouTube and a nice screen are important to me.

All the apps are a bonus. I have 4 vegan apps that have been so helpful. Widgets are another nice bonus that I didn't know about. I used the.Kayak flight status widget on my last trip and it was very handy!

I like that I don't need Desktop Manager or any PC software to update and sync my phone. My contacts, apps, calendar are all synchronized OTA. I really didn't like Desktop Manager.
    I have a BB and I don't need Desktop to update contacts or my calendar???
    Machzy likes this.
    04-03-11 08:50 PM
    The faithful are reluctant to acknowledge it, but the current BBos is dead (and it should be).

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    And it's nice to have people like you reminding us 3 times a day every day!
    04-03-11 08:56 PM
    So funny how many idiots are so quick to blame the users. It's not the users' fault that the crappy software leaks memory (yes, this is absolutely true with OS6) or that the UI is the most user unfriendly of any phones. It's not the users' fault that the phones can't support a moderate work load.

Doesn't matter if QNX is coming out in a few years (you're dreaming if you think it's going to be here next year). By the time it happens, RIM's market share is going to be next to nothing.

Everything BB does, Android and iOS does better. Most of what BB can't do, Android and iOS have done since release. Sucks when your company spends all it time trying to just keep up with no room for innovation.
    Again, we all forget how smart you are, I mean since you already know when QNX is coming. Obviously if the BB experience is not great for you and with your intelligence it is all the phones fault!! I tried a Droid X and just didn't care for the overall experience. Liked the speed and the browsing and if I sat behind a desk all day I think I would still have it. But runnning around in the elements when both hands are not free and I can not give all my attention to the phone is when I found myself really missing my BB. Does the o.s. suck? no. Does it need improving? Absolutely! But to say generally that everything BB does the others do better is not true for everyone. But I just don't get the BB bashing and the "likes" below? I didn't run to Android's site and start saying what a piece of crap the X was,just because it didn't work for me! Remarks like yours and a few others in this thread just take away your credibility imo...... Nothing wrong with you all with not liking BB and maybe even mentioning it once. But saying the same thing over and over in countless threads just doesn't make sence to me I guess!
    Fatoomah likes this.
    04-03-11 09:14 PM
    Again, we all forget how smart you are...
    From the beginning:

HTC Dream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On 23 April 2009, T-Mobile USA announced it had sold one million since the device's launch. On July 27, 2010 the device was officially discontinued.

"When it comes to receiving the latest Android OS updates, the Dream has been left behind. For example, on T-Mobile, the Dream remains at Android version 1.6, and it is unlikely that it will be updated since the model has been discontinued. Installing later versions of Android OS is still possible by installing custom ROMs, but this requires the phone to be rooted".

Seems the Bold 9700 which debuted in Canada in the same year as the Dream has fared better - mine was recently upgraded to OS6 by Telus.
    04-03-11 10:42 PM
    Well, I gotta say, I always wished I could have home screen widgets. Not.
    04-03-11 11:22 PM
    Tbh, the lack of Flash, the lack of a top-quality web browser, BBM, heck, even the fact it was developed by RIM is what makes a lot of people hate it.

I however love it, and the BB OS doesn't suck. I like the way that Chrisy is open-minded and accepts the merits. I personally find the iPhone useless for me, and have even tried to persuade people off the iPhone to BlackBerry. I've got one friend considering it as we speak. However, I understand the vast majority of people like it, which is why I just say I hate it, rather than saying it sucks monkey nuts...
    Who has a top quality browser? I hear people complain all the timen about this or that about the browser on iphones, htcs android and win7 and of course bb. There's things wrong with all of them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-11 03:32 AM
    I beg to differ. Android and iOS are evolving. What RIM is trying to accomplish with QNX would be considered a complete change of direction. A 180, if you will.
    When did IOS evolve? when you bought a "dongle". smh. Technically its not a 180, they are entering a new market, the tablet market, and starting with a new os, thats a 180 to what, they had no tablet os before so what are they changing from? Go make your Easy-Mac, cause kraft dinner is to hard. If QNX makes it to their phones thats because its been proven to be a stable OS, thats not a 180 thats progress.
    Last edited by edyts; 04-04-11 at 04:07 AM.
    04-04-11 03:47 AM
    Well, I gotta say, I always wished I could have home screen widgets. Not.
    Lol, you do, it's called the today theme.

04-04-11 03:53 AM
    What's the point of having a nice camera if you're sending VGA quality pics? I'm not sending trivial crap to random people on Twitter. Lol. I'm sending pictures of my new paint job to my dad. Or receiving a video of my cousin's baby taking his first steps. So, yes, I want high quality pics and videos and so does my family.

I want video chatting to be clear too, not grainy. If I didn't care about picture and video quality I'd get a feature phone or stick with Blackberry. Yes, I like my videos on YouTube to be clear too.

You sound like you're ok with mediocrity. I'm not. For a 200 smartphone I do expect a lot.
    $200 on a smartphone is cheap, if u really cared you'd fork over the real money for the smartphones with the best pic/vid quality, for $200 i dont think id be happy with a camera.
    04-04-11 03:57 AM
    $200 on a smartphone is cheap, if u really cared you'd fork over the real money for the smartphones with the best pic/vid quality, for $200 i dont think id be happy with a camera.
    I think she means 200 plus the monthly payments not buying outright the phone for 200
    Either way, vga is exagerating, blackberry takes much better photos then that.

04-04-11 05:19 AM
    BB is good, for me where the current BB OS fails is:

- The browsing experience (No flash)
    - Lack of graphical power for games and apps like other OS have
    - The app World is rubbish compared to Android Market and App Store (Everyone should agree with this)

I see BB being a big player in the future for people who want the above, but current generation is hitting all the marks people want.
    04-04-11 05:55 AM
    Lol, you do, it's called the today theme.

Do y'all really not understand the concept of widgets? Theme /= widgets...
    04-04-11 01:08 PM
166 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD