The Blackberry user thinks so. I'm not sure what the file size limit is. I was surprised. It was just a 45 second video. Maybe not OS related, I don't know. But experiences like this are what made me switch away. It was a video of some new plants in my mom's yard that I was sharing. It's just a shame that Blackberry can't handle that.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-03-11 at 12:53 PM.
    04-03-11 12:50 PM
    Dude why don't you go buy yourself a clue. You add nothing to any conversation. Dude I'm glad you like your thunderbolt. I haven't played with one but what I've seen it looks like a great device. I don't want one that doesn't mean its a bad device. I don't believe your 4g speeds, but if its true it don't matter none that my blackberry is flinging data at 3g cause that all att has right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Actually your speeds are being hampered by your device hardware and software. AT&T offers HSPA+, but your device cannot take advantage of that network.
    04-03-11 12:51 PM
    What's that got to do with the OS? Does Rim claim anywhere that you can transfer large files via email, bbm or im? Sure it can't do it but does it suck for that?

ok fine, the BBOS doesnt suck for this RIM sucks for this? is that better?
    04-03-11 12:52 PM
    The Blackberry user thinks so. I'm not sure what the file size limit is. I was surprised. It was just a 45 second video. Maybe not OS related, I don't know. But experiences like this are what made me switch away.
    Homework Chrisy, homework. BBM limit is 6mb for now and always has been i think.
    04-03-11 12:53 PM
    Which is why I'm gone. And hopefully this Blackberry user will be soon too! Some communications device Blackberry is...
    04-03-11 12:56 PM
    Homework Chrisy, homework. BBM limit is 6mb for now and always has been i think.
    You should refrain from chastising Chrisy. She never sent the file from BBM, so your BBM comment has nothing to do with why the Blackberry user couldn't download the MPEG.
    04-03-11 12:58 PM
    ok fine, the BBOS doesnt suck for this RIM sucks for this? is that better?
    What's the usual email transfer limit anyway?

Well, if anybody buys a blackberry for sending large media files they're stupid
    04-03-11 12:58 PM
    You should refrain from chastising Chrisy. She never sent the file from BBM, so your BBM comment has nothing to do with why the Blackberry user couldn't download the MPEG.
    Blackberry can download large files, I download large 2 hours podcasts all the time, they just can't transfer it via email, bbm or IM
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-03-11 01:01 PM
    It was a 15MB video. Was short so surprised didn't go through to Blackberry.

Anyway, just something that happened this AM as an example. Maybe QNX will allow larger file transfers.

It was sent to email, not using BBM. Like I said, I use my phone to stay in touch this way.
    04-03-11 01:04 PM
    What's the usual email transfer limit anyway?

Well, if anybody buys a blackberry for sending large media files they're stupid
    there is none really, maybe 20 mbs for some providers although i have email bigger files before.

you dont get it, the new BBs and even the playbook will have better cameras and take pictures and videos that will eat up the very small email attachment size in no time. i would be very upset that i took at 15 second video of my kid and then try to email it to some family members and get hit in the face with "file is too large" message. the file limit was OK 5 years ago when you had ****ty cameras on devices, but that isnt the case now. RIM has finally got some good hardware coming and now they are limiting their device with their own restrictions.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-03-11 01:10 PM
    It was a 15MB video. Was short so surprised didn't go through to Blackberry.

Anyway, just something that happened this AM as an example. Maybe QNX will allow larger file transfers.

It was sent to email, not using BBM. Like I said, I use my phone to stay in touch this way.
    I referred to BBM because that's the only limit I know, I don't know the email limit.
    I think 6.1 will change this.
    The problem with sending large media files is if the other person is on gprs it will take a long time for the file to transfer and if on gsm the phone will practically be blocked from receiving phone calls until the transfer is complete. On gprs 15mb can be 30 minutes if not longer.
    04-03-11 01:10 PM
    there is none really, maybe 20 mbs for some providers although i have email bigger files before.

you dont get it, the new BBs and even the playbook will have better cameras and take pictures and videos that will eat up the very small email attachment size in no time. i would be very upset that i took at 15 second video of my kid and then try to email it to some family members and get hit in the face with "file is too large" message. the file limit was OK 5 years ago when you had ****ty cameras on devices, but that isnt the case now. RIM has finally got some good hardware coming and now they are limiting their device with their own restrictions.
    To put it in perspective, my data plan only has 500mb, and that's the normal "fair usage policy" in UK right now. So i wouldn't send them even if I could. Pictures will not be affected, no picture will be bigger then 6mb.
    04-03-11 01:14 PM
    Three of the people I sent it to replied within 10 minutes. It couldnt have taken 30 minutes for them to download it.

Anyway, it is just frustrating with Blackberry sometimes. The Blackberry user did view the video on their PC. Just is nice to be able to do that on your mobile device.
    04-03-11 01:15 PM
    To put it in perspective, my data plan only has 500mb, and that's the normal "fair usage policy" in UK right now. So i wouldn't send them even if I could. Pictures will not be affected, no picture will be bigger then 6mb.
    yes but 3 pictures puts you over the email limit....bbm is not a "solution" to anything really, its a workaround that works for some people
    04-03-11 01:17 PM
    Even when I had BBM, I used email to send pictures and videos. I send to several people at once. And BBM sends the lowest quality. I didn't like that.

Someone send me a video. I want to see if Android can get them!
    04-03-11 01:21 PM
    Even when I had BBM, I used email to send pictures and videos. I send to several people at once. And BBM sends the lowest quality. I didn't like that.

Someone send me a video. I want to see if Android can get them!
    Lol, again, homework, BBM does send pictures in a small format, about 45kb i think. If you wanted to get the full picture you had to press menu then request a higher quality picture which the other person had to accept.

By the way, I really appreciated this feature when my wife was abroad and I was sending her pictures of the kids. When she got back she just requested the full pictures, a week later.

And another thing, BBM doesn't save the pictures automatically anymore, they stay in conversation, another plus.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 04-03-11 at 01:30 PM.
    04-03-11 01:26 PM
    The only thing that "sucks" for me is the sluggishness. Everything else does it's purpose well.
    04-03-11 01:30 PM
    Yeah, I know about that option on BBM. Hence why I used email to send high quality in the first place. You act like I didn't have a Blackberry for four years.

I knew it's limitations. When I first got my Blackberry it seemed top of the line. The file sending limit I thought was present on ALL phones. I just learned today it's only on Blackberry phones.

Pretty much before I switched it is like I didn't know what I was missing. Now I do.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-03-11 at 01:37 PM.
    04-03-11 01:33 PM
    Yeah, I know about that option on BBM. Hence why I used email to send high quality in the first place. You act like I didn't have a Blackberry for four years.

I knew it's limitations. When I first got my Blackberry it seemed top of the line. The file sending limit I thought was present on ALL phones. I just learned today it's only on Blackberry phones.

Pretty much before I switched it is like I didn't know what I was missing. Now I do.

Chrisy, no offense but you must one of those people that insists on sending everything at the highest quality posibile, just in case the other person might wanna turn your picture into a poster lol
    I think it's nice to let the other person decide the size of the file he/she downloads

jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-03-11 01:46 PM
    Believe it or not, my phone is faster than yours will be for, at least, the next two years.

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    Sent from your Thunderbolt at fake 4G speeds you mean? There's no real 4G yet, not even LTE

edyts likes this.
    04-03-11 01:51 PM
    What's the point of having a nice camera if you're sending VGA quality pics? I'm not sending trivial crap to random people on Twitter. Lol. I'm sending pictures of my new paint job to my dad. Or receiving a video of my cousin's baby taking his first steps. So, yes, I want high quality pics and videos and so does my family.

I want video chatting to be clear too, not grainy. If I didn't care about picture and video quality I'd get a feature phone or stick with Blackberry. Yes, I like my videos on YouTube to be clear too.

You sound like you're ok with mediocrity. I'm not. For a 200 smartphone I do expect a lot.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-03-11 at 02:00 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    04-03-11 01:55 PM
    Believe it or not, my phone is faster than yours will be for, at least, the next two years.

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    You think it'll take att 2 yrs to get 4g? Or do you think it'll take rim 2 yrs to have a 4g phone? Dude I don't believe your receiveing data at 4g speed now. Att will have the same speeds as everybody else. You just refuse to accept that. In case your not talking about networking again your clueless. My phine well openup files just as fast as your phone. You know you can put sime thought in your post and say what you mean.

04-03-11 01:59 PM
    What's the point of having a nice camera if you're sending VGA quality pics? I'm not sending trivial crap to random people on Twitter. Lol. I'm sending pictures of my new paint job to my dad. Or receiving a video of my cousin's baby taking his first steps. So, yes, I want high quality pics and videos and so does my family.

I want video chatting to be clear too, not grain. You sound like you're ok with mediocrity. I'm not. For a 200 smartphone I do expect a lot.
    Lol, I know you want them to see your stuff at highest quality, but do they? Lol, look at my kids doing something funny in HD. I'm telling you now, if it's not their kids they don't care, like sending a wedding video that never ever gets watched lol.
    Sending pictures for me is an adhoc, on the spot thing, not to be kept. You know, see something funny, snap, send.
    I already have thousands of photos of my own family in my computer, I don't save other's photos lol
    Maybe that's just me

04-03-11 02:03 PM
    You think it'll take att 2 yrs to get 4g? Or do you think it'll take rim 2 yrs to have a 4g phone? Dude I don't believe your receiveing data at 4g speed now. Att will have the same speeds as everybody else. You just refuse to accept that. In case your not talking about networking again your clueless. My phine well openup files just as fast as your phone. You know you can put sime thought in your post and say what you mean.

More like it'll take RIM 2-4 years to release 4G devices.
    04-03-11 02:05 PM
    I find it amazing that you seem to know my family, and what they want, more than I.

Interesting. Here I thought I was very close to them. I'll let them know that you and I discussed it and that you made their wishes clear. Thanks!

As you stated, "that's just [you]." I have pictures of my family all around my house. Not VGA quality either.

These high quality pictures and videos don't take hours to view or download. Maybe on a Blackberry they do, if they even get through. That's one advantage to having a phone that can handle media and communications.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-03-11 at 02:15 PM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-03-11 02:06 PM
166 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD