I see android and apple fans constantly saying that the bb OS suck.

So what sucks so much about it and why are the others better?

I find nothing wrong with it as far as on OS but I guess I'm not mesmerized by shinny objects either. Not to say it doesn't have it's problems but I think they all do.
    04-02-11 06:59 AM
    U said it urself, it doesnt suck. Most pple just feel like its not as good as apple/android OS
    Ofc its not the best os but its not that bad, wait for 6.1/qnx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 07:02 AM
    It sucks to be so network-dependant: Many apps are marketed only for a specific market (country). An example is Skype.

OK, it's not a matter of the OS itself, but everything that's tied to it.
    04-02-11 07:19 AM
    I agree with kbz1960. I see little actually wrong with the BlackBerry OS. I have used it since my 7230 (OS 3.7, I think) and it has always done what has benn needed to help me run my life and a couple of businesses. What more could I ask?

Well, today I would have exepected a far better email program that synced over BIS/Desktop Manager that totally shadowed Outlook. I want the foleder and the Rules that Outlook has.

I'd like a lot more options across the base apps. These would incleude them colors and wallpapers, I'd desperately like to have boolean logic in Contacts Categories so that I could display Friends AND Families or even Work AND NOT Marketing.

I'd like Birthdays in Calendar done like in Outlook so that I can remember minor items (do not forget this if you want to live) like Mrs. Pete6's birthday and not have this clash with a doctor's appointment on the same day.

Give the Options function a way to change from the new and really confusing category layout to a simple flat alphabetical listing like it used to be.

There are a load of little things like this that could improve the BlackBerry OS no end.

I have used both Android (what a mess) and iOS (really hard to use) based phones and quite frankly the BlackBerry OS is consistent and easy to use.

It is also easy to trin people to use and this is where the BlackBerry OS really scores. It is cheap to train new corporate users in the use and abuse of a new BlackBerry.

In short, there's not a lot wrong with OS6 as far as I am concerned.
    04-02-11 07:27 AM
    I already know where this thread is going.
    04-02-11 07:30 AM
    "What makes the bb OS suck?"

1. Users who don't do their homework.
    2. Users who don't take the time to try to learn how the device works.
    3. Users with unrealistic expectations.
    4. Users who have short attention spans.
    04-02-11 07:32 AM
    I already know where this thread is going.
    Not if we are sensible. I shall keep my eye on this thread and do what I need to do in order to keep it sensible.

Therefore apologies in advance to the OP if the worst happens.
    04-02-11 07:41 AM
    I'd like some of the same new features as Pete would like, especially Boolean logic in contacts filtering. Motorcycle Mama is also accurate (if acerbic) in her criticism of some users. However, one thing RIM does drives me nuts: rearranging menus and changing the location of key functions from one OS version to another. Perhaps they are doing human factors studies and trying to make the OS more user friendly, but what they accomplish is making it very difficult for experienced users to help new users, because the seemingly arbitrary changes break the previously published tips and answers.
    04-02-11 07:53 AM
    I've asked this question before and never got a good answer. In fact, many of the acclaimed features of iOS4 were features we already had in BB OS 5.x.

The only thing that I can think of personally is the fact that other OSes appear to be easier to develop for, which explains at least in part why they have tons of great apps and we have precious few.

04-02-11 07:54 AM
    I have to say I've never used an android device or iphone and with what I read on here I have to wonder what is sooooo much better about android or iOS beside it being prettier. I know right now they have better hardware but you can put a 90 year old lady in a race car and it won't be going too fast.
    04-02-11 07:55 AM
    It's so quiet I can hear crickets...
    04-02-11 10:00 AM
    I just want Angry Birds. ROFL.

I would have to say that just having a lack of apps is annoying because there are a lot of good free ones on Android that we don't have on BB. I mean there is a free open source email client (K9) that runs better than the one on BB (Logicmail). I hate how you get truncated emails and there is no way to raise the limit. I hate how you can't sync folders, and on some websites the web browser takes a while to render web pages.
    04-02-11 10:10 AM
    If it didn't suck, then why would RIM be making such a radical change? Enter QNX.
    That doesn't mean it sucks or sucked. So why apple change their OS? Why does android constantly change? Is it because they sucked before?
    04-02-11 10:44 AM
    If it didn't suck, then why would RIM be making such a radical change? Enter QNX.
    BB6 doesn't suck. Like a previous poster said it's the operator who has the problem. Can it be improved? yes, but what OS is perfect anyway. People who want to complain are always going to be more vocal than those of us who are satisfied and just go about our business.
    04-02-11 10:51 AM
    apple and google havent really "changed" their OS. They have modified and improved them. Thats a little different

as for where BB OS lacks IMO

truncation/poor html mail is a big one, that is more BIS than BB OS but its all part of it
    no support for activesync
    no email folder support for BIS
    no real widget support
    Poor web experience compared to competition
    poor speed of the OS and fluidity
    lack of good app/game development
    screen resolution and appearance
    5+ minute reboots and it reboots on its own way to often

flame away but there are plenty of others that will agree on every point i listed
    Some of these will be fixed with 6.1 possibly and QNX should improve alot on these but some will still exist and the ones that do i think will be the big ones
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-02-11 at 12:08 PM.
    Chrisy, reeneebob, Machzy and 1 others like this.
    04-02-11 10:51 AM
    I agree with email folder support and truncation. I think some of your issues are based on using the storm 2 though. My reboot is about a minute...not great but not as bad as 5 minutes. My OS is pretty fast and fluid as well. I like the browser in OS 6 as well as the browser on the G2 I used but the bigger screen made a huge difference. Anyway I think you have some valid points but I would disagree with some.

04-02-11 10:58 AM
    RIM said some time ago that there was a big difference between a proessional OS such as the current offering and a consumer product which is presumably iOS and maybe the, as yet unseen, QNX OS.

It seems to me however that consumer and professional OSs within the cell phone arena are on a convergence course.

Professional would seem to imply security, ease of bulk maintainance, ease of training and stability and controllability whilst a consumer OS needs to be slick to use and easy to write whizz-bang apps for.

Stuff like email and calendar are just programs and therefore transportable.

Consumers today want neat apps AND they want security. Professionals want ease of use but many will also want a game or two, right?

This leaves us with a definite need for a new BlackBerry OS since the OS we have is definitly designed from the ground up to be "professional". It is also not easy to write software for beyond a certain point.

So while I still think that the current OS most certainly does not suck (my vacuum cleaner does that), it does need replacing for todays consumer, glitzy, shiny, overhyped iToy world. QNX + TAT will bring that to use, I hope. The current OS will probably continue on for a number of years in its present guise and with luck, we'll have a choice of running one or the other which, would be really sweet.
    kbz1960 and John Yester like this.
    04-02-11 11:02 AM
    apple and google havent really "changed" their OS. They have modified and improved them. Thats a little different

truncation/poor html mail is a big one, that is more BIS that BB OS but its all part of it
    no real widget support

flame away but there are plenty of others that will agree on every point i listed
    Some of these will be fixed with 6.1 possibly and QNX should improve alot on these but some will still exist and the ones that do i think will be the big ones
    Thanks for a well thought out post and not just saying "cause it does", and yeah all of us are different or are in a different group that like things a certain way.

I was hoping that it wouldn't turn into a my dogs better than your dog thing and there would be some valid points as to why people think it's so bad and or good.
    04-02-11 11:16 AM
    "Innovation."

04-02-11 11:31 AM
    BB6 doesn't suck. Like a previous poster said it's the operator who has the problem. Can it be improved? yes, but what OS is perfect anyway. People who want to complain are always going to be more vocal than those of us who are satisfied and just go about our business.
    Can it be improved? They have been trying to improve it for a decade and this is the best that they could do with it? Enter QNX.
    04-02-11 11:32 AM

truncation/poor html mail is a big one, that is more BIS that BB OS but its all part of it
    no real widget support
    +1

The BB OS works well for your basic smartphone functions, but shows it's age when stacked up again iOS or Android. You gotta remember though, the current OS is basically built upon all the previous versions before, which is many years old and is now pretty much tapped out. iOS and Android have the benefit of coming into the game years later.

It's like asking "Does Windows 95 suck?" Well I guess it's useable, if all you want to do is use an old version of IE or Netscape Navigator (remember that guys? ) to surf the web all day, but it definately won't let you take advantage of the latest hardware and software out there. Compared to Windows 7, it does "suck".

QNX is the reboot that RIM badly needs, no one is going to deny that. In a year or so (hopefully) from now when we all have our QNX based BlackBerries, I bet no one here will ever want to go back to OS 5 or 6.
    TheIgster, Chrisy, Machzy and 1 others like this.
    04-02-11 11:59 AM
    QNX is the reboot that RIM badly needs, no one is going to deny that. In a year or so (hopefully) from now when we all have our QNX based BlackBerries, I bet no one here will ever want to go back to OS 5 or 6.
    Unquestionably, and along that line of thought, you might consider 6.1 to be life support while awaiting a brain transplant. But just as you probably won't want to go back to OS 6 from QNX, I don't particularly want to go back to OS 5 from OS 6. Does it mean I think OS 5 sucked? No, it means I think OS 6 is just better (at least for some of us). OS 6.1 should be a marginally better OS than 6.0 on significantly better hardware; OS 7 should be monumentally better than that.

If there ever was an argument for an OS sucking, just look at all the people raving about any version of WinMo prior to WP7 ... and WP7 isn't exactly shattering records, either. BB may not still be at the top of the heap, but we BB users sure don't have it all that bad.
    04-02-11 12:19 PM
    "What makes the bb OS suck?"

1. Users who don't do their homework.
    2. Users who don't take the time to try to learn how the device works.
    3. Users with unrealistic expectations.
    4. Users who have short attention spans.
    Thanks for taking my answer!!! Just kidding I couldn't have put it better myself.

04-02-11 01:36 PM
    Those who says it sux suck themselves.

04-02-11 01:53 PM
    Those who says it sux suck themselves.

Your intelligence level is surprisingly low.

BB OS does not suck. It just does not stack up as well as the competition in certain departments. IMO BB excels in certain areas, while Android and iOS excel in certain areas as well, but Android and iOS give a much more well rounded experience.

QNX is coming because BB OS is showing its age. There is obviously not much more they can do with it, so they need to move on.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-02-11 at 02:42 PM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    04-02-11 02:39 PM
166 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD