I keep hearing about hybrids from some bbm contact I have, but I don't know what they are talking about. What is a hybrid os?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 03:50 AM
    I've been wondering the same thing, thanks for asking.
    07-31-10 06:49 AM
    A hybrid OS is a mixture of the bests of all OS versions. I believe that a hybrid should have a base OS to be based on, so you can't install a hybrid without having an OS already installed on your BB
    07-31-10 06:59 AM
    What is a Hybrid OS?

The BlackBerry Operating System, like what Windows XP is for a PC, is made up of many files. As the OS changes (ie.. from .65 to .75 to .148 and every leak in between) these files change. Sometimes a newer OS release has a quirk that a previous OS didn’t have. Maybe one OS has a problem with with its MMS file. And maybe another has a camera issue. Maybe one has a super radio file. A hybrid is a mixture of the bests.

Hybrid also can use files that aren’t available yet for the 9530. For example, the transitions between apps offered in Storm 9500 .151.

Lastly, they remove extra files that the majority of users don’t need.

Lucky for the us, BlackBerry community, there’s a group of people out there who have taken it upon themselves to find the best combination of files to make the perfect OS. All the hard work of figuring out what’s better is done for us.

Some Negatives

- Hybrids get updated very frequently. These guys seem to be constantly trying to one-up each other. (good for us as long as we don’t mind updating)
    - The process is a little complicated.
    - The hybrid may not have a few apps that you want… like word mole. (somewhat easy to restore it)
    - Because of some missing files, stability might be in question. (For example, I can’t use the theme I had with the hybrid I’m using)
    - The process may be a little daunting for a first-timer.
    - It’s a little time consuming.

The Positive

- The OS will run much more smoother/faster/better.

I have received the information from blackberrystorm
    Last edited by rohit1986; 07-31-10 at 08:15 AM.
    07-31-10 08:13 AM
    What is a Hybrid OS?

The BlackBerry Operating System, like what Windows XP is for a PC, is made up of many files. As the OS changes (ie.. from .65 to .75 to .148 and every leak in between) these files change. Sometimes a newer OS release has a quirk that a previous OS didn�t have. Maybe one OS has a problem with with its MMS file. And maybe another has a camera issue. Maybe one has a super radio file. A hybrid is a mixture of the bests.

Hybrid also can use files that aren�t available yet for the 9530. For example, the transitions between apps offered in Storm 9500 .151.

Lastly, they remove extra files that the majority of users don�t need.

Lucky for the us, BlackBerry community, there�s a group of people out there who have taken it upon themselves to find the best combination of files to make the perfect OS. All the hard work of figuring out what�s better is done for us.

Some Negatives

- Hybrids get updated very frequently. These guys seem to be constantly trying to one-up each other. (good for us as long as we don�t mind updating)
    - The process is a little complicated.
    - The hybrid may not have a few apps that you want� like word mole. (somewhat easy to restore it)
    - Because of some missing files, stability might be in question. (For example, I can�t use the theme I had with the hybrid I�m using)
    - The process may be a little daunting for a first-timer.
    - It�s a little time consuming.

The Positive

- The OS will run much more smoother/faster/better.

I have received the information from blackberrystorm
    Thanks for the good info. Do you run a hybrid OS?

07-31-10 10:33 AM
    Found something that may be of interest for the OP:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/

07-31-10 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD