I have been gone for six months, since I got a Android for my personal phone but I also carry my blackberry for some business stuff.

Hate to come off sounding like a troll.

But what happened to this forum? There used to be soo much activity in this hybrid space.

By comparison, when a dev drops a new Rom for an android device within 2 hours there is the same amount of activity as there would be here in a month.

I hope this is temporary, because I hope to return for Blackberry 10, if it suits my needs.

I feel bad for the devs here though, you put so much effort in putting together your releases for soo few people, but you would be considered Gods on the XDA space.
    Last edited by edlivian; 06-20-12 at 03:16 PM.
    06-20-12 03:10 PM
    I feel like a ROM for Android is much different since it can drastically enhance/add features to the device when a hybrid OS is just combining radios and creating better battery life. It's still quite a time consuming task though.

Either way, turtles.
    06-20-12 03:16 PM
    Yeah, it's true. ROMs on Android is MUCH different than hybrid's on BBOS.

And with BB hybrid OS's of the past, it was really done as an effort to make the phone/OS run better.

Right now with 7.1, things are pretty solid. I don't think we're seeing the same sort of value proposition in wanting to install a hybrid OS.

That said, I bow to all those who put time into building hybrid OS's for BB on the quest for OS perfection.
    06-20-12 03:31 PM

That said, I bow to all those who put time into building hybrid OS's for BB on the quest for OS perfection.
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Do you have any idea if BB10 is going to be a locked down OS like iOS, or will it be an open environment where you can download different keyboards, themes, dialers etc like there is on android?
    06-20-12 03:46 PM
    I have been gone for six months, since I got a Android for my personal phone but I also carry my blackberry for some business stuff.

But what happened to this forum? There used to be soo much activity in this hybrid space.

By comparison, when a dev drops a new Rom for an android device within 2 hours there is the same amount of activity as there would be here in a month.

I hope this is temporary, because I hope to return for Blackberry 10, if it suits my needs.

I feel bad for the devs here though, you put so much effort in putting together your releases for soo few people, but you would be considered Gods on the XDA space.
    Development of OS6 hybrids seems to be limited to just a couple of builders, but my builds often see between 300 and 400 downloads. I personally don't have an OS7 device, so I have no means of verifying/testing any of those builds (and no incentive to fiddle with it too much).

Either way, I continue on my quest for BlackBerry OS perfection on the OS6 platform. I simply can't live without the fabulous battery life I enjoy on my 9700.

It would be nice, though, if maybe we saw some more activity in terms of OS files to work with (cough cough).
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-20-12 05:00 PM

Many of the well-known hybrid builders who were active in the past no longer use BlackBerry. I follow several of them on Twitter, and they now use Android.
    06-20-12 07:31 PM
    It would be nice, though, if maybe we saw some more activity in terms of OS files to work with (cough cough).
    *cough cough cough cough*
    wu-wei and Blacklatino like this.
    06-21-12 12:02 AM
    It's very noticeable as you read that some are "still" waiting for an "OFFICIAL" OS release. As stated, much respect for all of you that have taken the time and effort to put together an OS hybrid- whether it's for my current device or not.
    06-21-12 07:15 PM
    It's very noticeable as you read that some are "still" waiting for an "OFFICIAL" OS release. As stated, much respect for all of you that have taken the time and effort to put together an OS hybrid- whether it's for my current device or not.
    Ditto on this...
    06-21-12 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD