Today some co workers and I was comparing browsers. We had 2 htcs I don't know what models. One had a huge screen. I wish my Torch had that screen. One of the htcs was a windows os and the other android, a ip4 and my Torch. All of the browsers do pretty much the same thing. All of us is on ATT but the big htc he is on Tmobile. We all loaded pages very snappy. Function was crisp between them. My Torch was the only one with a physical keyboard so I used the touch screen to play fair. In this mode I hated my screen size. I do wish for a larger screen. Moving back and forth between pages my browser did everything what theirs did. I might even lean more toward liking the os6 better. Of course I have my bookmarks and such setup to my liking so I could really breeze thru my stuff. I kinda stumbled thru the operas on the htcs. Its a good thing they have some kind of buttons to push even though they are so tiny for such a large phone. The ip4 is still like the rest of the iphones I get to where I want a button to push I get lost.
    Without arguing I want to know what the browser on os6 doesn't do that the other browsers do or you wish it would.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-11 03:59 PM
    if we`re being honest, it wont render inserted youtube videos, which i remember from working with the iphone4 that did, also android (latter versions only) support flash.

overall i think your right, they arent that far appart, i mean they all run webkit now, so the playing field is alot more level than say the OS5 browser lol, but people will have their own preferences
    02-18-11 04:23 PM
    Yea I forgot about the new android running flash. Well is it fair to say that before we rule BB out let's see what 6.1 offers us as far as flash is concerned?
    I don't understand what you mean about youtube. I can play youtube from my browser.

02-18-11 04:45 PM
    I like the OS 6 browser. I'm not sure flash is a good idea for a phone but at any rate I think the browser is great. I don't have youtube problems either but maybe I'm not understanding what was meant.
    02-18-11 05:09 PM
    What would you think the downside of haveing flash would be?

02-18-11 06:18 PM
    I think the main downside would be battery and power drain. I'm fine with html5 for videos. If I need flash I would use my tablet or laptop. If they can make it work well on a cell phone without power and battery drain then I would be fine with it. I just might not use it much.
    02-18-11 06:49 PM
    I would like to have it cause on the john deere website there's things I can't see cause of not haveing flash. If I go to a sale and find a piece of equiment that I might want to bid on I like to research it if I don't already know it. I hate running back and forth between my truck and what I'm looking at to use my laptop. But yea I've lived this long without it. I see your point. I don't think it should be problem on the battery though.

02-18-11 07:00 PM
    I like the BB6 browser!!
    02-18-11 07:57 PM
    I like the BB6 Browser. Wife has the iPhone 3Gs and I don't see any advantages to the iPhone browser.
    02-18-11 11:56 PM
    Yea I forgot about the new android running flash. Well is it fair to say that before we rule BB out let's see what 6.1 offers us as far as flash is concerned?
    I don't understand what you mean about youtube. I can play youtube from my browser.

What he meant is that embedded youtube videos don't play without hitting a link. Much like when on a pc browsing CB the video is right there, press play. While on your BB browsing CB you need to hit a link and go to youtube than press play.

02-19-11 12:15 AM
    What he meant is that embedded youtube videos don't play without hitting a link. Much like when on a pc browsing CB the video is right there, press play. While on your BB browsing CB you need to hit a link and go to youtube than press play.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. That doesn't bother me. But to the OP I can understand the back and forth to the truck issue. I would want flash if I were you as well.

02-19-11 01:42 AM

yes that exactly what i meant, sorry if i was confusing people.

the problem is that crackberry is by its nature a site designed for mobile users, so those text links are there for mobile use, however `non techy` sites dont do this, so you just have the blank space, only recently did the inside blackberry blog start using text links after i pointed it out.

its not a big thing, just its the little things that really can matter
    02-19-11 03:21 AM
    I like the BB6 Browser. Wife has the iPhone 3Gs and I don't see any advantages to the iPhone browser.
    Same here. My Torch is actually quicker at times than the wife's 3Gs.

BB6 browser is great on the Torch. Most of the complaints I've seen about it come from folks who have installed it on the candybar form factors without a touch screen. OS6 actually lacks a few features that were available in the OS5 version that you don't miss with a touch screen but do miss without one.

Personally, I think you're limited to what you can usefully browse on a mobile device simply because of its size. Not to mention that my eyesight is going to he*l in hurry as well. So there are many sites I wouldn't even bother trying to browse on my phone, even if I had a 4.3" screen. And I've yet to attempt to go anywhere that I wished I had Flash, so I don't miss that, either. Bottom line, for the type of mobile browsing I do, OS6 on the Torch is more than adequate.
    02-19-11 09:16 AM
    BB6 browser is great on the Torch. Most of the complaints I've seen about it come from folks who have installed it on the candybar form factors without a touch screen. OS6 actually lacks a few features that were available in the OS5 version that you don't miss with a touch screen but do miss without one.

Personally, I think you're limited to what you can usefully browse on a mobile device simply because of its size. Not to mention that my eyesight is going to he*l in hurry as well. So there are many sites I wouldn't even bother trying to browse on my phone, even if I had a 4.3" screen. And I've yet to attempt to go anywhere that I wished I had Flash, so I don't miss that, either. Bottom line, for the type of mobile browsing I do, OS6 on the Torch is more than adequate.
    What's missing in os6 from os5? I haven't noticed anything. Might be just as you say the Torch covers it up. With the word wrap I can go anywhere and read anything. What sucks is we can't open the page if there is a flash video on there. I don't want to watch the video I want to read the txt. I've tried to view the code but I haven't gotten that to work either. The txt would be in the code. That's one thing I would like added to the browser is to beable to view the page code. Yea I think the browser is as good as opera or anything else the other guys are running.
    D_March I could carry my laptop with me but if they see your interested in a piece of equipment they run up the price.

Last edited by 13echo4; 02-19-11 at 10:05 AM.
    02-19-11 10:01 AM
    Sure, the browser on BB isn't as good as i4, but as long as there actually is a webkit it doesn't matter.
    02-19-11 10:41 AM
    Sure, the browser on BB isn't as good as i4, but as long as there actually is a webkit it doesn't matter.
    Look don't just say the ip4 has a better browser. Tell us why it has a better browser. What does it have that Rim os 6 doesn't.

02-19-11 06:49 PM
    Look don't just say the ip4 has a better browser. Tell us why it has a better browser. What does it have that Rim os 6 doesn't.

The ability to play Youtube and other videos just as they appear on a computer while the BBs don't play them as well and are somewhat grainy and low quality even on WiFi. Other than that, if we're talking about OS6 then it's pretty much it. But if we're talking about OS5, definitely a difference there.
    02-19-11 07:53 PM
    I like the os6 browser better but wish the text was larger, and my htc incredible can still open some pages that my blackberry has trouble with.
    02-19-11 08:14 PM
    The ability to play Youtube and other videos just as they appear on a computer while the BBs don't play them as well and are somewhat grainy and low quality even on WiFi. Other than that, if we're talking about OS6 then it's pretty much it. But if we're talking about OS5, definitely a difference there.
    Well the thread is titled for the os6 browser. I haven't came across a youtube video the browser won't play. Grainy? Really? I guess the quility of the video has nothing to do with it. Now I know the ios4 is HD the last time I checked youtube only uploaded 3g and mp4 videos under 720. Which HD is over 720. Some can argue that it starts at 1080 and needs a screen size of 38" or bigger to render. I myself don't really know. So the youtube videos is going to render just as good on an ip4 as a BB. Your screen isn't going to show any better than the source is. Like checking 1080p outta a dvd. Just not going to happen.
    Thanks for posting guys. Its like I witnessed. The other browsers aren't any better.

02-20-11 12:28 AM
    I think the main downside would be battery and power drain. I'm fine with html5 for videos. If I need flash I would use my tablet or laptop. If they can make it work well on a cell phone without power and battery drain then I would be fine with it. I just might not use it much.
    A downside easily negated on my Android by keeping flash on "on demand" only. It doesn't load any unless I tell it to. Hopefully RIM would implement it that way too with the option to have it always on, always off, or on demand.
    02-20-11 12:40 AM
    A downside easily negated on my Android by keeping flash on "on demand" only. It doesn't load any unless I tell it to. Hopefully RIM would implement it that way too with the option to have it always on, always off, or on demand.
    I agree, I think that is a must have functionality.
    02-20-11 01:35 AM
    I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I found it really informative. But the best part (and most surprising) was that there was no petty bickering. I usually avoid the "General Discussion" forum and stick to the "Help" forums because Blackberry fans, Iphone fans, and Android fans all attack each other. It is nice to see a civilized discussion in this forum.
    02-20-11 01:45 AM
    What's missing in os6 from os5? I haven't noticed anything. Might be just as you say the Torch covers it up. With the word wrap I can go anywhere and read anything. What sucks is we can't open the page if there is a flash video on there. I don't want to watch the video I want to read the txt. I've tried to view the code but I haven't gotten that to work either. The txt would be in the code. That's one thing I would like added to the browser is to beable to view the page code. Yea I think the browser is as good as opera or anything else the other guys are running.
    I don't know specifically, but I *think* it's mostly in the text rendering, mainly auto-column and word wrap. From what I've read here, OS5's browser does it better for any level of zoom, not just the one zoom you get with the double-tap in OS6. I don't remember because I hardly ever used the browser on my Bold (and I'm too lazy to fire it up again just to find out). But if that's the case, I can see how it would turn people off with smaller, non-touch screen displays. It would be a nice feature on the Torch as well if it columnized on pinch-zooms automagically.

02-20-11 07:54 AM
    I don't know specifically, but I *think* it's mostly in the text rendering, mainly auto-column and word wrap. From what I've read here, OS5's browser does it better for any level of zoom, not just the one zoom you get with the double-tap in OS6. I don't remember because I hardly ever used the browser on my Bold (and I'm too lazy to fire it up again just to find out). But if that's the case, I can see how it would turn people off with smaller, non-touch screen displays. It would be a nice feature on the Torch as well if it columnized on pinch-zooms automagically.

Surely to God they are not complaining that pinch zoom doesn't put txt in word wrap. The browser auto puts txt in word wrap and a quick dbl tap zooms it. My goodness that's faster and easier than pinch zoom.
    So pretty much what we see on the wish list for a rim browser is:
    Pinch zoom word wrap,
    Flash pkayer,
    An embedded youtube mediaplayer, which really just changes function. As it is now you have to click a link then play video where as an embedded player would allow you to just click play.
    Well this is clearly under standable. I thank you guys for pitching in. These issues is more understandable than just reading post where the browser sucks and it slower blah blah with no actual comments on what it is that the browser won't do.

02-20-11 09:50 AM
    The browser in OS6 is still slow to render non-mobile friendly sites. Part of that is due to its lack of Flash ability. You Tube videos & Vemo videos suffer because of it. If I need to get information about a certain disease from WebMD that requires me to view pictures, a Blackberry is not the tool to use. The quality is not there and neither is the speed. The other issue is PDF files. There's no way a Blackberry would help me in that case. I need a device where I can down load PDF files from the AAP when I'm studying.
    02-20-11 10:13 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD