Vodafone UK's website (https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=LExeV7l-) now says that from February, 'If you have a 3G phone, you’ll be switched over to our 2G network. You’ll still be able to send texts and make calls.'

It also says 'Like all other networks, we’ve agreed to meet the government’s plan to switch off 2G by 2033.'

This means BlackBerries will only be able to call and text on 2G next year and will stop working entirely by 2033.
    12-05-22 08:31 AM
    A key might be looking at any 2G coverage maps... if your hoping to be able to go beyond next year.

I know here in the USA, T-Mobile has some 2G still up... but it's VERY limited coverage, clearly not every tower it still offering a 2G connection. My area seems to only be around the water... so marine navigation?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-05-22 10:26 AM
    It is not clear how a switch over to 2G will affect the data connection. Is it going to be GPRS, EDGE, or no data at all?

I do not have any 2G experience with a GSM phone but I have some with 2G CDMA. I remember that in the early years of the last decade (2010-2012) Northern Ontario (anywhere between North Bay / Sudbury and Thunder Bay) did not have any EVDO coverage (3G) and you were running on 1xRTT (2G). Apps like Google Maps, Opera Mini or BB Browser were still running just fine, but a bit slower. I think when it comes to data speeds 1xRTT is comparable to EDGE.

Those days I had BB 8830 WE, with Bell Canada. It was 2G/3G "World Edition" device running on CDMA networks in US, Canada, the Caribbean and South Korea and on GSM or GPRS anywhere else.
    Last edited by Lex24; 12-19-22 at 03:25 AM.
    12-19-22 12:23 AM
    I recall using the BlackBerry Pearl 8100 on AT&T back in the 2G "EDGE" days. One thing of note was that you could not use data while on a phone call.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-19-22 05:20 PM
    It is not clear how a switch over to 2G will affect the data connection. Is it going to be GPRS, EDGE, or no data at all?
    I'd like to know this too. We currently have both GPRS and EDGE and Vodafone only say 'You’ll still be able to send texts and make calls.'
    12-26-22 08:42 AM
    "You’ll still be able to send texts and make calls" statement from a carrier usually means that they will provide some kind of official support for those services. I have seen it in messages I got from Bell many times over the last few years. So just based on this statement alone I would not automatically assume that they will completely shut off the data.
    12-27-22 01:38 AM
    I received this e-mail from Lebara (my carrier, who use Vodafone's network).

Dear customer,

First of all a very Happy New Year to you.

This email is regarding 3G-switch off. You may have seen in the news that all UK networks have committed to switching-off their 3G network. This is being done so that networks can focus on strengthening 4G and 5G networks which support faster data speeds and better call quality. Vodafone, our network partner, will be switching 3G-off in phases, starting with Plymouth & Basingstoke in Feb23, with a plan to complete by December 2023.

What does this mean to you?

If you don’t use mobile data, then you don’t need to do anything. Calls and texts will continue to work (on 2G technology).

If you do use mobile data, you will need to upgrade your phone to a 4G/5G compatible one. You will need to buy a sim free handset to continue using your current Lebara SIM. For your convenience, we have partnered with Samsung to bring you an exclusive offer.

For more information on 3G switch off, visit here
    01-07-23 02:56 AM