Need some advice and help with this peculiar issue.

Background:
    I was using a Samsung S2 until it conked out. I was loaned a BB9900 (OS7.1.0523) until I am able to buy another android phone. So I have not signed up for BIS.

For instant messaging, I have tried using Viber, Whatsapp, IM+ and YM. I am able to send and receive messages via 3G and Wifi for Whatsapp. However I am only able to send and receive messages only 3G for Viber, IM+ and YM. Wifi doesnt work at all for these 3 apps. Why is that so?

I have read that I need to make sure certain ports are open. But when using my S2, I was just able to use 3G AND Wifi when using Viber and YM on any wireless networks. So I dont think any of these mentioned ports are closed.

Has anyone encountered this issue? And if yes, what did you do to resolve it? Thank you.
    02-23-13 04:06 AM

Background:
    I was using a Samsung S2 until it conked out. I was loaned a BB9900 (OS7.1.0523) until I am able to buy another android phone. So I have not signed up for BIS.

For instant messaging, I have tried using Viber, Whatsapp, IM+ and YM. I am able to send and receive messages via 3G and Wifi for Whatsapp. However I am only able to send and receive messages only 3G for Viber, IM+ and YM. Wifi doesnt work at all for these 3 apps. Why is that so?

I have read that I need to make sure certain ports are open. But when using my S2, I was just able to use 3G AND Wifi when using Viber and YM on any wireless networks. So I dont think any of these mentioned ports are closed.

Has anyone encountered this issue? And if yes, what did you do to resolve it? Thank you.
    02-24-13 04:46 AM

Background:

02-24-13 04:52 AM
    i have the exact same problem. i even wrote to the viber team but got no satisfactory answer.have you found out any way yet?
    03-19-13 04:03 PM
    The Viber team wrote back saying that it requires BIS for Viber to work properly. I have asked for clarification and will wait for them to reply. Will update once I hear from them.

I would certainly like to know why some apps will work with wifi only and some dont.

Edited 21 March: A reply from Viber team. The gist is BIS is required, and no other explanation to my other query.
    Last edited by tech_girl; 03-20-13 at 12:34 PM.
    03-20-13 01:10 AM
    that is because, your ISP must be blocking the ports which are used by viber and IM apps.

ports used by viber: Why can’t I use Viber on some Wi-Fi networks? | The Viber FAQ

Try using outlook and send a mail. It must return failure (because of port 25 is blocked)
    04-18-13 03:54 PM