Looks like OTA or Wireless Update is out. Last update it took forever to get updates. I always check for updates and says none available. I have tried *228 #2 and still nothing.
    Is there a way to get it. I do not want to do it through desktop.
    Appreciate any advice, thanks.
    02-10-11 07:50 AM
    Looks like OTA or Wireless Update is out. Last update it took forever to get updates. I always check for updates and says none available. I have tried *228 #2 and still nothing.
    Is there a way to get it. I do not want to do it through desktop.
    Appreciate any advice, thanks.
    The only way you will be notified of a wireless update available is if you have the current official VZW OS5 on your phone; not OS6. I am assuming you want the OS6 update OTA?

If you would use DM you could get it no problem and about 6 hours faster on the install too.
    02-10-11 08:26 AM
    my advice would be to go through desktop manager. All you have to do is plug your device in open dm and it will find the update and install it for you. And in all honesty ota updates tend to have more issues and most everyone will agree that using dm or apploader is the far safer route.
    but if you dont want to do that *228 #2 has nothing to do with the update process. updates are found in the options menu. I havent run os5 in a while and im sure someone will chime in and tell you how to check but its under the options menu. (on os6 its under options, device, and check for software update.)
    02-10-11 08:30 AM
    You will not receive this sort of update by dialing *228.

You will need to go to Options > Advanced > Wireless Update and check for updates.

See if that will pull it.
    02-10-11 08:31 AM
    *228 option 2 is to update your PRL. As rryoung says, it has nothing to do with OS update. It might help to clarify your needs. For OTA OS update go to Options > Device > Software Updates. It is not the recommended method and as jaydee mentioned, it can take 6 hours.

sorry...my instruction for OTA OS update is for OS6.
    Last edited by i_hiker; 02-10-11 at 08:41 AM.
    02-10-11 08:39 AM
    Thanks-I have the latest OS from Verizon 5.0.0.595 and do the updates. I do not have any other versions on my device. This OS came with the device.
    Thanks.
    02-10-11 08:44 AM
    5.0.0.595 is not the latest from Verizon, Verizon never had a 5.0.0.595. You have to have 5.0.0.1006 to get the wireless update to BB6.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 02-10-11 at 08:59 AM.
    02-10-11 08:57 AM
    5.0.0.595 is not the latest from Verizon. You have to have 5.0.0.1006 to get the wireless update to BB6.
    Thanks. Did that come in wireless update? I go to updates in Bold and that update did not come up as well.
    02-10-11 09:00 AM
    OK - I have a one week old 9650 on 5.0.0.1006 but get No Updates wirelessly, and the DM also returns no updates. I am behind a BES, would that have any effect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 09:09 AM
    Thanks. Did that come in wireless update? I go to updates in Bold and that update did not come up as well.
    Get your Bold on 5.0.0.975, that was the platform need to do the OTAs. FWIW, it's not really worth it to OTA to another version of 5.0 just to do another OTA to BB6.

Desktop Manager is easier and much faster.
    02-10-11 09:11 AM
    OK - I have a one week old 9650 on 5.0.0.1006 but get No Updates wirelessly, and the DM also returns no updates. I am behind a BES, would that have any effect.

Yes, your BES admin can disable the OTA notifications.
    02-10-11 09:11 AM
    As pcgizmo stated 5.0.0.1006 is needed to update OTA to OS6. It was available OTA. Have you rebooted your device lately? If not, pull your battery, wait about 30 seconds and reinstall. If this doesn't work you could try resending Service Books.

When you look at the time it takes to do 2 OTA installs to get OS6, it just makes sense to go through DM or Apploader. You could even go to Blackberry or VZW website and do this. Do you have access to a PC? There are lots of knowledgeable folks here to help you out. Take the path of least resistance (not OTA).
    02-10-11 09:15 AM
    Yes, your BES admin can disable the OTA notifications.
    I wonder if popeye is in the same BES boat?
    02-10-11 09:18 AM
    Have you tried Options/Device/Software Updates? I recently got a refurbished 9650 with OS 5. I had to do the OTA update to the latest version of 5.0 before I could do the OS 6.0 update.
    02-10-11 09:54 AM
    Have you tried Options/Device/Software Updates? I recently got a refurbished 9650 with OS 5. I had to do the OTA update to the latest version of 5.0 before I could do the OS 6.0 update.
    I'd say the OP tried that, and I explained that you had to be on 5.0.0.975 in order to get the OTA to 5.0.0.1006, which is required for the OTA to BB6.
    02-10-11 09:58 AM
    Use desktop manager with a full charge on your phone. OTA updates are always hit or miss at least for me. It's simpler to do it thru DM.

02-11-11 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD