I want to update the software on my phone to v5.0.0.860 but it appears that I need to have a certain program on my computer that would do that. I am currently using v4.6.0.304
    Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
    03-14-10 11:41 PM
    Technically you need nothing but the OS, which is referred to by it's application # here, 5.0.0.509. All it requires is a little knowledge.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

Leaping from 4.6 may require a wipe though, and you should probably get more familiar with the basics before doing that.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 11:48 PM
    Since you are upgrading FROM an OS4.x, it is best to go to the current official RIM OS . There are no major problems.

Try this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/new...hellas-431443/
    03-15-10 09:26 AM
    since when is there a .860?
    03-15-10 09:39 AM
    [QUOTE=BigBadWulf;4832363]Technically you need nothing but the OS, which is referred to by it's application # here, 5.0.0.509. All it requires is a little knowledge.

Leaping from 4.6 may require a wipe though, and you should probably get more familiar with the basics before doing that.

I try my best

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-15-10 09:44 AM
    The .860 that he is referring to is the same as .509. .860 is the package version and .509 (what is usually referred to) is the application version.

03-15-10 10:40 AM
    I must be using invisible font.

03-15-10 11:21 AM
    [QUOTE=BigBadWulf;4833758]
    Technically you need nothing but the OS, which is referred to by it's application # here, 5.0.0.509. All it requires is a little knowledge.

I try my best

wow...thank you uninteligent for clearing that up...the "stuff" listed above was nothing but garbage...if it was put in a way as to not sound like I was being talked down to, it may have been more clear..."All it requires is a little knowledge"...what kind of garbage is that?

get outta here with that...
    03-15-10 11:22 AM
    The OP is obviously a newbie, and the little knowledge I was referring to is contained in the link I provided. What in the world is wrong with that?

I hear tell you�re doin� well,
    Good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm,
    And you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

I'm a Survivor Baby!Go Team Gemini

03-15-10 11:25 AM
    I want to update the software on my phone to v5.0.0.860 but it appears that I need to have a certain program on my computer that would do that. I am currently using v4.6.0.304
    Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Read through the forums for thorough advice and tips but ill try to give u a run down of how i do things.

first of all, make sure you have BlackBerry Desktop Manager downloaded and BBSAK.

1 - I back up all my data with Blackberry Desktop Manager.

2 - Download the desired OS and remove the vendor file.

3 - Wipe your device using BBSAK.

4 - Once OS download is complete, you can load the OS using BlackBerry Desktop Manager or BBSAK (I personally use/ prefer BBSAK)

5 - Do NOT unplug your phone until OS upload is 100% through.

Good luck!
    03-15-10 03:37 PM
    I have the desktop manager installed and I got it to see the new software

But I when I press "next" it tells me "no software update is required for your device" and I get stuck.

Any ideas what I can do next?
    really appreciate the help
    03-15-10 05:56 PM
    I have the desktop manager installed and I got it to see the new software

But I when I press "next" it tells me "no software update is required for your device" and I get stuck.

Any ideas what I can do next?
    really appreciate the help

That is not for the OS. You're getting confused with BBM.
    03-15-10 06:02 PM
    It sounds crazy, but....

unplug your computer from the internet while doing the upgrade.. (It somehow checks online if the new OS is "really" an update for You. I had the same issue, but when unplugging my PC it just went along with the update procedure

No, kidding!

Mio
    03-15-10 06:03 PM
    Follow my guide, so everything is backed up, and the vendor.xml deleted. If it still says that, do a search for hidden files named vendor.xml. Make sure you've got the internet disabled while you're working with DM, and if all that doesn't do it, because you are coming from 4.6 to 5.0, you'll need to wipe the device before it will work.

If you need to wipe, and CrackUtil is being pesky, use this:

03-15-10 06:03 PM
    Also, make sure you uninstall any other Blackberry OS software installs on your computer. Make sure all you have is the newest one. Follow the instructions above using BBSAK to load the OS. You don't have to use DM to install the OS onto your berry.

03-15-10 06:40 PM
    I disconnected the internet and it worked

Thank You
    03-15-10 06:46 PM
    Just one more questing, after I installed the update I can't find the "lock" function. (the one that would normally lock the keyboard)
    Is this version not supposed to have it or it's just me?
    03-15-10 07:15 PM
    Top left button should lock the keypad, and shut off the screen.

03-15-10 07:17 PM
    Top left button should lock the keypad, and shut off the screen.
    Yeah I know about that one, but before I had this option on my screen which I could click with the mouse wheel to lock up the screen. Would that still be possible?
    03-15-10 07:20 PM
    Hold the "A " button.
    03-15-10 07:21 PM
    The icon is gone, but the function is still there. I never thought one icon would be the cause of so much static.

03-15-10 07:23 PM
    Would it be possible to download it somewhere?
    I tried looking for it in the blackberry apps, did not have much luck.
    03-15-10 07:31 PM
    Only way you're getting that back, is to roll back the OS. I've seen others go back to crap OS, when they had great installed, over that simple little icon.

03-15-10 07:39 PM
    I don't think that's worth it...
    still kinda hoping to find some app
    03-15-10 07:41 PM
    Maybe you can explain it for me. What's wrong with the button up top?

03-15-10 08:31 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD