I used to have a Curve, and I never put an alternate SIM in when I traveled outside the US. I had T-Mo's unlimited international email (and BBM), and that was fine.

Now I have a Q10, and I just get a local SIM wherever I am, and all data works fine.

But I'll be traveling with my GF who has a BB07 Curve. Her recent experience with unstoppable data use while on T-Mo's unlimited international email (and BBM) has shown me that this is no longer an option ($100/month in tiny data 'blips' which T-Mo could neither explain nor stop.)

So unless I upgrade her to BB10 before the trip, how does BB07 work with a forign (local) SIM? I assume it's not as simple as stopping at the airport counter and putting in any old data SIM? Does the carrier selling me the SIM have to sell me a BB-specific one so her phone can connect to BIS? Once done, will her email and BBM just "work" like she's at home, or is it even more complex that this with BB07. Sorry, no experience with changing out SIMs on a "classic" BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 01:31 PM
    Hi Ben, very good questions!

So long as her curve is unlocked, you can purchase a foreign sim for use in the device, but you are correct in your assumption that you will require a BIS plan on that new SIM for use in a BBOS7 device. The other (and related) caviate is that it's not as simple as plug and play.. once the new sim is in, and the BIS plan added.. she will need to create an account on that carriers BIS server and set her email accounts back up. BBM on the other hand should just work..

All in all it can be done.. but that upgrade to BB10 would make things easier!
    09-06-13 01:46 PM
    Hi Ben, very good questions!

So long as her curve is unlocked, you can purchase a foreign sim for use in the device, but you are correct in your assumption that you will require a BIS plan on that new SIM for use in a BBOS7 device. The other (and related) caviate is that it's not as simple as plug and play.. once the new sim is in, and the BIS plan added.. she will need to create an account on that carriers BIS server and set her email accounts back up. BBM on the other hand should just work..

All in all it can be done.. but that upgrade to BB10 would make things easier!
    Ugh - figured it was very complex. Looks like an upgrade is in order!
    09-06-13 02:38 PM