Hi guys,

I'm new to cb, and fairly new to BB in general. I'm now abroad on exchange, and due to the length of my program (only three months), getting BIS was to expensive so I got a regular data plan. With it nothing except "whatsapp" works.

My question, is it possible to get email (and preferably web-browsing) up and running on a regular data plan? I know that BBM won't work, but I need at least email.

Is it possible to download a new browser and email reader?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    03-29-11 05:07 AM
    I dont think so try downloading Opera mini on the pc and install trough blackberry desktop manager
    CrossS and atlac like this.
    03-29-11 05:18 AM
    A BB without BIS is like a human without Soul.

nothing except regular browsing will work.
    03-29-11 06:04 AM
    A BB without BIS is like a human without Soul.

nothing except regular browsing will work.
    I know, trust me.. However, regular browsing does not work either. Will it work if I download Opera Mini as mentioned above? And if so, does it exist another email app that I can download to get email to work as well?

Thanks!
    03-29-11 06:21 AM
    Well if you get so it will browse can't you just use the webmail version?
    03-29-11 06:26 AM
    Well if you get so it will browse can't you just use the webmail version?
    I know. It's a possibility, but very unpractical. Since I'm at school now I haven't been able to download Opera yet. Now I'm just looking for all (if any) options that I have available.

Anyone know of any 3ed party app to use for emails?
    03-29-11 06:42 AM
    No you can't, the email app strictly uses BIS service
    03-29-11 06:47 AM
    Couldn't he install the logicmail app and use that for email not on bis? It wouldn't be through the native app and you wouldn't get push email but could still send and receive?

I have it installed but don't use it so I am not sure how it works...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 06:50 AM
    Couldn't he install the logicmail app and use that for email not on bis? It wouldn't be through the native app and you wouldn't get push email but could still send and receive?

I have it installed but don't use it so I am not sure how it works...

Thanks! If this is possible it would be exactly what I'm looking for. Can anyone confirm?
    03-29-11 07:03 AM
    Thanks! If this is possible it would be exactly what I'm looking for. Can anyone confirm?
    I just downloaded OTA and it seems to be working so far. This is exactly what i was looking for as well. I added my gmail account and its syncing all the mail now. My brother just sent me an email to check and yeah it does work.

I can't seem to send email though. Never mind, got it to work now. Thanks Fr3lncr
    Last edited by Formeriphonepredroiduser; 03-29-11 at 09:59 AM.
    atlac likes this.
    03-29-11 09:56 AM
    "human with no soul..." That's a bit too much. It will still be a great phone and a great PDA.

I heard of ShangMail (or something) that should fit into your needs as well, google shangmail and logicmail and see which work better for you.

Also, check with your carrier for BIS Light and BIS Social plans (they allow you to use some but not all BIS funcition, but all of them include email at some level).

And welcome to the forums.
    03-29-11 10:09 AM
    I just downloaded OTA and it seems to be working so far. This is exactly what i was looking for as well. I added my gmail account and its syncing all the mail now. My brother just sent me an email to check and yeah it does work.

I can't seem to send email though. Never mind, got it to work now. Thanks Fr3lncr
    Thank you so much! I will try that as soon as I'm home
    03-29-11 01:40 PM
    Glad it works... installed it as a backup in case I travel somewhere and can't get BIS and just have wifi but haven't tested it out.
    03-29-11 07:54 PM
    Hello there,

Yes it is possible to have it all working without the blackberry club pas (BIS/BES). it has a soul, just no blackberry approved one.

I can browse with the native browser and have third party apps accessing the internet and i have push email.

To get it all working just follow those links:
    first do this:
    Enable BlackBerry Browser without BIS/BES � bb.anworm.com
    then get shangmail to have native e-mail support:
    Shangmail--Rule your work,Make life easier!

good luck
    07-16-11 08:24 AM
    Opera and Logicmail will not work on APN without restrictions. On OS5 I got java.exceptions after a day - one OS6 after a couple of hours. Without Anworm-Stuff only the Browser works - and all other apps for a short while after a Reboot. Regardless of whether they use WiFi or APN.
    I guess this is carrier dependant?
    07-18-11 05:02 AM
    Hey,
    I'm planning to buy a blackberry bold 9780. But im hooked up to whatsapp on my old phone. So i wanted to ask whether i can use whatsapp on a blackberry WITHOUT a bis and only through normal gprs data plans ? And how ?
    Because BIS is like 4x costlier than the normal data plans.
    07-19-11 03:21 AM
    Hey,
    I'm planning to buy a blackberry bold 9780. But im hooked up to whatsapp on my old phone. So i wanted to ask whether i can use whatsapp on a blackberry WITHOUT a bis and only through normal gprs data plans ? And how ?
    Because BIS is like 4x costlier than the normal data plans.
    Yes, whatsapp will work without BIS.

Need to be able to edit the TCP/IP APN details. Anworm can show you how.
    08-13-11 02:02 AM
    Hi,
    I have a BB 9650 (unlocked, originally Verizon),which I'm using on Vodafone. I have made the changes in APN as required. However, I'm still not able to access internet through Opera Mini, even GMail and Google maps apps don't work.
    However, if i do a battery pull restart - I'm able to access internet for a few minutes (5-10 mins) post which none of these applications can access internet.
    Couldn't find a solution to this, even after extensive search on the internet .. has anyone faced same/similar issue.
    Any suggestion would be of great help.
    12-03-11 08:52 AM
    Hi,
    I have a BB 9650 (unlocked, originally Verizon),which I'm using on Vodafone. I have made the changes in APN as required. However, I'm still not able to access internet through Opera Mini, even GMail and Google maps apps don't work.
    However, if i do a battery pull restart - I'm able to access internet for a few minutes (5-10 mins) post which none of these applications can access internet.
    Couldn't find a solution to this, even after extensive search on the internet .. has anyone faced same/similar issue.
    Any suggestion would be of great help.
    There is no possible way to bypass BIS. Either it works, or it doesn't. Best to pay for a plan and use wifi to avoid going over the cap/quota.
    12-03-11 01:20 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm new to cb, and fairly new to BB in general. I'm now abroad on exchange, and due to the length of my program (only three months), getting BIS was to expensive so I got a regular data plan. With it nothing except "whatsapp" works.

My question, is it possible to get email (and preferably web-browsing) up and running on a regular data plan? I know that BBM won't work, but I need at least email.

Is it possible to download a new browser and email reader?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

What you asked for can be done by following these steps:
    First get on your wifi. Note: you won't be able to download and install apps from other browsers then the bb browser.
    Make sure it's set to "hotspot browser" under its options.
    Make sure your bb browser can access the internet
    Download opera mini from m.opera.com
    For gmail download gmail from m.google.com
    For yahoo download it from opera store in mini opera
    If not download logicmail for all other Imap or pop mail google it .

GooD luck
    12-21-11 04:38 AM
    ... Of course your APN settings are required to be set under options/ advance options/ tcp-ip
    12-21-11 04:42 AM

What you asked for can be done by following these steps:
    First get on your wifi. Note: you won't be able to download and install apps from other browsers then the bb browser.
    Make sure it's set to "hotspot browser" under its options.
    Make sure your bb browser can access the internet
    Download opera mini from m.opera.com
    For gmail download gmail from m.google.com
    For yahoo download it from opera store in mini opera
    If not download logicmail for all other Imap or pop mail google it .

GooD luck
    ... Of course your APN settings are required to be set under options/ advance options/ tcp-ip
    APN won't work because OP doesn't have a data plan. Also, gmail app is gone, dead link, it'll show other google apps. Circumventing is stealing.
    12-21-11 09:07 AM
    HI
    I am new to cb, nd also BB, i am using bb9650
    i have changed APN setting however i am using net but not more than 5-10 min
    plzzzzzzzz........can anyone solve the problem
    my mail id:- [email protected]
    05-25-13 07:02 AM
    HII am new to cb, nd also BB, i am using bb9650 i have changed APN setting however i am using net but not more than 5-10 minplzzzzzzzz........can anyone solve the problemmy mail id:- DELETED
    Hi, welcome to crackberry. If your bold 9560 Is stolen, you will NOT be able to use data on it. I suggest contacting the carrier in advance to figure out why. The bold 9650 is a CDMA blackberry, as the GSM slot it has is only for roaming and is very difficult to activate to use as primary on GSM networks.
    05-25-13 12:04 PM
    I want to buy a �BB qwerty phone� in which normal plan can effectively work coz I�m using Vodafone 2G/3G pack in Gujarat please suggest me the �cheapest phone� in which I can browse any thing coz I�m student so I need it use WhatsApp , Facebook , Facebook Chat , & Many other apps of BB app store suggest me that which apps I am unable to use & suggest me the phone & please ask me which other apps I can use in this phone���
    And also I can hear FM & connect to PC to browse from pc & which phone�s memory is 8GB or more or memory card supportable�����
    02-06-14 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD