So has anyone else noticed the "bar code" movie poster for the upcoming Tim Burton movie 9? Check out this url to see what I am talking about.

Anyway, I had just updated to the new BBM, and realized it looks exactly like the bar code for BBM contacts. I got my hopes up, and scanned it. While it isn't a cool BBM feature, it does take you to a "hidden" discussion about the movie by Tim Burton!

However, yet another disappointment. I think the video is incompatible to play on the Storm (although I barely had service at the time, so it could have been that as well)...I had to check out the site (which is a mobile site) on my computer to watch the video...

Still, a cool find
    07-19-09 01:04 AM
    I've suddenly become obsessed with finding QR codes, so thanks for this one. Using the Tour I was unable to Open the video from the link, but I was able to Save it then watch it. (if that makes any sense)
    07-19-09 02:00 AM
    thats messed up! This barcode thing is going to take over the world! i cant wait to find new ones!!
    07-19-09 02:05 AM
    being that the design supports reading the codes it doesn't surprise me that it would support them on pretty much anything by invoking the browser etc good find op!
    07-19-09 02:06 AM
    The video wouldn't play directly from the site, but did allow me to download and save and THEN play it on the player. Not bad!
    07-19-09 03:06 AM
    Plays on my bold
    07-19-09 06:42 AM
    You can generate your own. I looked up qr code generator on google, found a few qr code generator sites and made one for my web site, and it went right too it.

I also did one for a good piece of text that it didnt pick up, probably too long and complicated.

But look it up, its cool. If you have pictures or vids or websites, contact info etc, youc an generate your own qr code.

My problem is that with one, it froze my phone....it was going into screen save mode and i hit the track ball and got a white screen...maybe im not reading them right because it does take some time for them to come up....
    07-19-09 07:15 AM
    i still dont get how you can watch a video from that link.
    do i have to save that image and send it to someone in bbm?
    07-19-09 12:29 PM
    thats seems like the microsoft barcode reader they have put on a few xbox 360 games. i think there is a dedicated app for it.
    07-19-09 01:02 PM
    dude this stuff is soo cool its like trippy almost look at a pic thru ur phone and get taken to a secretive website or whatever ... i could see a really cool and kick a$$ new National Treasure movie being made ot of something like this
    07-19-09 01:06 PM
    Thats awesome
    07-19-09 02:27 PM
    Am I missing something?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 02:35 PM
    so do you need a 3.2 mp camera for this to work?
    07-19-09 02:51 PM
    This is pretty cool...I love Tim Burton...Nice find...Any other hidden cool bar code stuff out there?
    07-20-09 06:22 AM
    I'm with a few of you how do you scan the barcode

07-20-09 06:37 AM
    lol the Nokia N95 had a barcode reader on it years ago,

Give this one a try... (third time lucky)
    Last edited by Snazy; 07-20-09 at 09:10 AM.
    07-20-09 09:06 AM
    I'm with a few of you how do you scan the barcode

The barcodes can only be read with BBM 5.0 Its not about the camera I dont think, but you need the app on BBM 5

You can make your own barcodes at Free online QR Code Maker - by Morovia.com then post them as images on websites.
    Pepsi also had a promo on their cans/bottles a while back. They are becoming more and more common now.
    07-20-09 09:13 AM
    07-20-09 10:08 AM
    This is very high on the cool/geeky factor.

Not to mention, that preview has piqued my interest for that movie.
    07-20-09 11:17 AM
    Coooooooooooooooool!
    This is fun. Kinda useless except to share contacts but still cool. Maybe it'll becoming more useful in the future. I can imagine these encoding credit card info so we can flash our QR code at store checkouts or buses. Or we can get QR coded receipts onto our phones at checkout. QR coupons.
    07-20-09 11:58 AM
    If you go into BBM5 and hit add new contact it'll scan the barcode and load a webpage.. cool!
    07-20-09 12:02 PM
    have you guys seen this website before..... QR-Code Generator

I just tested it out with a friends phone number that is generated into a QR Code and it works!

enjoy.
    07-21-09 10:42 PM
    Ok, that's too cool. Looks like an interesting movie too.
    07-22-09 12:24 AM
    so do you need a 3.2 mp camera for this to work?
    No, you just need a bb that has bbm 5.0 installed and a camera on the phone. then you go to your BBM and click to add a contact using the "scan invitation barcode from another blackberry." then point your camera to the barcode. instead of adding the contact, it will open a website instead for you to check out the video.
    07-22-09 07:05 AM
    in BM 5.0 goto add contact, choose to scan barcode and your camera will load. Just aim at the code till it beeps! WoooHoooo
    10-12-09 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD